You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

I'm usually not bothered when athletes pick up these types of injuries because they're an occupational hazard, but I'm genuinely sad in this case.

After all the scoffing and criticism he got following his signing from people who just couldn't grasp the reasoning behind the move, he was proving people wrong and establishing himself as a real difference maker. And now he misses the chance of playing in the World Cup and potentially a Champions League final. Terrible luck.

If I was a professional footballer I wouldn't bother tackling units like Kolarov or Gerrard. With the power they generate their legs must be like Exocet missiles.

There's an evolving skill of what a tackle even means these days. For players like Alonso, when he was here, it was about correct positioning and not having to be in a situation where there was massive force coming together. Also, it would be seen as some sort of failure by him if you had to go to ground in order to make the tackle, as it would have meant you were out of position and not in control of the situation.

Moving on to the sort of game Jurgen is evolving in front of our eyes, and it seems to me there's more emphasis on 'nicking' in and getting your toe on it to win possession back and then swarming the opposition rapidly. Firmino embodies this expertly from the front, and when Keita comes I would imagine we will see plenty of that sort of thing from him too. 

AOC was unlucky. He slid in to make the tackle and put the ball out, but he came with enough force that when he hit a sturdy leg, he hurt his knee. 

Like everyone else I hope it is not as bad as feared, and he makes a full recovery. 

He comes across as a nice fella. I first noticed it in an interview when Coutinho was here and the interviewer was grilling him about the impending move to Barcelona, and while Coutinho shuffled and struggled a bit, Ox jumped in there and spoke very well. It showed leadership and also a deft touch. 

On the pitch he has been getting better for us. He has been learning a new style of play and now he is starting to show us what he can do. I won't go overboard, as it's not world class, but his powerful running through the middle is very useful to us. I was looking forward to seeing what he might do in a full season, after having half a season to acclimate with what is required by Klopp.

It's a real shame for the lad, but I wish him a full and speedy recovery.  

Especially those that rely on their athleticism as much as he does.

I think they're much better at treating this stuff now than they were in the 90s, he'll be okay, plus he's not a pace merchant anyway. I think strikers are the ones who notice any loss of pace more than most.

Someone pointed me over to RAWK where a physio who was at the game says that he saw them doing LCL stress tests and he didn't observe an ACL stress test done. Put two and two together with Joyce's statement today and it could be that.

If it is the LCL that's good news. Still a chance he could be ready to go fully rehabbed by pre-season which would be outstanding. All my fears of a bad ACL tear and him not playing until after Christmas could be unfounded.