You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2017/18 edition.

Trumo

No one will easily gatecrash the top 6. The gap between the top clubs and the rest in England is astounding. 

A well built side with backing has every chance, look at Leicester.  And thats without taking into consideration the middle east wealth they could have.

When a goalkeeper scores a goal normally the opposition goalkeeper misjudges the bounce of the ball.

Not Lugo's Juan Carlos. What a strike this was. No mercy whatsoever to Sporting Gijon's Diego Mariño. (Video via @LaLiga) https://t.co/RrRdI8tC4S

Check out @yousefteclab’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/yousefteclab/status/954841226410385409?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Edefault%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E0

• Upvote 2

Have you seen the state of that squad ..... He's working a miracle keeping them out of the bottom 3.

A one club city, Over 50,000 every other week through the gates, and 9 out of the 11 that started today started for him in the championship..

This isnt Mourinho who has spent the fat part of £200 million and wants another £150 million to challenge. This is about spending a reasonable amount on Premier league standard players to give the team a chance of improving.

I agree with the analysis of the squad but I think Rafa should circle the wagons & more or less say to the fans that he knows that Ashley is a gobshite who doesn't care but fuck him & Rafa and the squad will pull their tripes out until summer to try to stay up. In that case I think his stock would rise and nobody would blame him anyway if it didn't work. I can't see how jibbing the job now can boost his profile.

Thats the thing though. The club in the right hands could be a big player. They have the fanbase and the ground.  Thats why Rafa stayed, that and he wants to stay in England nearer his family.

If they get rid of Ashley and get forward thinking owners in they could easily gatecrash the top 6.

Not sure about the last bit, but if there's a club out there that could do it it's definitely Newcastle. 

Wonder why Moshiri bought Everton and not the Toon? Would have been cheaper surely and if Rafa had been given the kind of money the blues gave Koeman this summer he would have bought the bones of a squad that could look to challenge at that level in a few seasons.

I think Rafa will walk away this summer for sure. I assume he's only stayed this long out of a desire to hang on until Ashley sold and he could be the one to lead them back to glory. It was a good plan with only one flaw - Ashley and his unreasonable price. I doubt Rafa will stick around for another couple of years hoping and waiting.

Not sure about the last bit, but if there's a club out there that could do it it's definitely Newcastle. 

Wonder why Moshiri bought Everton and not the Toon? Would have been cheaper surely and if Rafa had been given the kind of money the blues gave Koeman this summer he would have bought the bones of a squad that could look to challenge at that level in a few seasons.

I think Rafa will walk away this summer for sure. I assume he's only stayed this long out of a desire to hang on until Ashley sold and he could be the one to lead them back to glory. It was a good plan with only one flaw - Ashley and his unreasonable price. I doubt Rafa will stick around for another couple of years hoping and waiting.

Apart from that spell where Keegan and Robson got Newcastle into the top 5 or 6 Newcastle have never been a traditional top 6 club in England despite all the claims about being a 1 club city and massive catchment area. As Mansour and Abramovich have shown throw enough money at any club and you can turn them into virtually whatever you want. Even the owners at Wolves are doing this splashing the cash in the Championship to reach the Premier League promised land.

Docker's Strike is absolutely right. With enough (good) investment, almost any club can be transformed. Of course, a club in the back end of nowhere will be significantly harder to transform than one in a major city, but a club in Bristol could just as readily be turned into top club as one in London.

I'm no fan of Mike Ashley, but at the same time, he has actually invested in the club (just not enough for their fans liking), and by all accounts he's turned the club into a very streamlined business off the pitch. He's readily admitted that his level of 'rich' doesn't compare with a few of the other serious billionaires. He's just not in their league.

What's he actually supposed to do? Sell up without recovering his investment just because the fans want a change? In truth, they just want another sap to spend a fortune, probably fail, then be hounded out by them again within 5 years.

Paul Pogba has ‘demanded’ that Manchester United double his wages to match those of Alexis Sanchez, according to the Daily Mirror.

Pogba is currently the best-paid player in the Premier League, signing a deal worth around £200,000 a week when he joined in summer 2016.

But with Sanchez agreeing terms worth around £400,000 a week to move to Old Trafford in a move that is

expected to be confirmed on Monday

, the Daily Mirror say Pogba is about to kick up a fuss.

Simon Mullock reports that Sanchez’s wages have ‘raised the bar’ for earnings at United, and agent Mino Raiola will use this as an attempt to engineer a pay rise for Pogba.

Raiola believes that Pogba’s wage is ‘no longer the going rate’ for a ‘player of his stature’.

The midfielder could therefore be in line for ‘a mega deal’, with United eager to secure the long-term future of a player yet to reach his peak years

• Upvote 1

It's a good thing for us that United are in bed with Raiola with the likes of Woodward calling the shots, otherwise their huge financial advantage would put them miles ahead of us.

Long may those two reign at Old Trafford, I say. Wonder what kind of obscene wages they're going to have to pay Ronaldo as his legs fall off? I'd bet he'll ask for a half-million a week, at least, on a 5-year deal.

Paul Pogba has ‘demanded’ that Manchester United double his wages to match those of Alexis Sanchez, according to the Daily Mirror.

Pogba is currently the best-paid player in the Premier League, signing a deal worth around £200,000 a week when he joined in summer 2016.

But with Sanchez agreeing terms worth around £400,000 a week to move to Old Trafford in a move that is

expected to be confirmed on Monday

, the Daily Mirror say Pogba is about to kick up a fuss.

Simon Mullock reports that Sanchez’s wages have ‘raised the bar’ for earnings at United, and agent Mino Raiola will use this as an attempt to engineer a pay rise for Pogba.

Raiola believes that Pogba’s wage is ‘no longer the going rate’ for a ‘player of his stature’.

The midfielder could therefore be in line for ‘a mega deal’, with United eager to secure the long-term future of a player yet to reach his peak years

GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilari

I think they should be paying all their players a minimum of 200k per week net of tax, before bonuses, signing-on fees etc are factored in. Once the player reaches the age of 30, the club should double that basic pay. Oh, and minimum 5-year contracts all round. The manager should have pay parity with the club's top earners.