You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2017/18 edition.

Trumo

It's amazing what you can achieve with copy and paste. Another few grand in the bank for the same shit with different names.

Alan Shearer was a great striker but as a pundit he's a twit.

They're basically all shite . All employed to fill airtime with drivel and explain the obvious to the masses, I accept they are an unavoidable side effect of money ball but what really pisses me off is they way these guys stay in their jobs year after fucking year, Shearer, Crooks, Lawrenson. Wright and the rest. At least ditch a few every year and freshen it up, Said it before I rue the day ex footballers stopped buying pubs in Essex and decided they had something interesting to say on TV. 

• Upvote 1

They're basically all shite . All employed to fill airtime with drivel and explain the obvious to the masses, I accept they are an unavoidable side effect of money ball but what really pisses me off is they way these guys stay in their jobs year after fucking year, Shearer, Crooks, Lawrenson. Wright and the rest. At least ditch a few every year and freshen it up, Said it before I rue the day ex footballers stopped buying pubs in Essex and decided they had something interesting to say on TV. 

Absolutely, Gary Neville is a prime example of why they go into TV. He talks like he knows what's best and as a coach he didn't have a fucking clue what was going on.

If they know so much, prove it. Otherwise it's just pointless talk that most interested fans who enjoy the game can work out for themselves.

Absolutely, Gary Neville is a prime example of why they go into TV. He talks like he knows what's best and as a coach he didn't have a fucking clue what was going on.

If they know so much, prove it. Otherwise it's just pointless talk that most interested fans who enjoy the game can work out for themselves.

The smart ones become decent managers , the rest talk the talk on MOTD. Then there is Sam Allardyce who can't do either well but steals a wage, 

I don’t think Pirlo would make a good pundit at all, I’ve read his book a few times and he openly says he doesn’t want to stay involved in football and everything he done on a football field came naturally to him, the guys a genius. One of my favourite ever players.

I thought his book was really interesting. He came across as quite weird.

I thought his book was really interesting. He came across as quite weird.

Yea he does, he seems like a boring straight laced kind of guy but after reading it it’s clear he dicks about all the time and takes the piss. I put some of the weird phrasing down to translation.

Brighton should be easy but we haven't had one of those games where we've made some nomark look spectacular.

Can see us losing at Brighton. They aren't a bad side and have big powerful lads like Duffy who could cause chaos with us from set pieces. I like Hughton.

Knowing us we'll beat chelsea but drop silly points.

I don’t think Pirlo would make a good pundit at all, I’ve read his book a few times and he openly says he doesn’t want to stay involved in football and everything he done on a football field came naturally to him, the guys a genius. One of my favourite ever players.

I got Stevie Heighway's autobiography donkeys years ago & I'm sure he said he had no interest in football and had never watched a game he had not played in, and he ended up our youth supremo for years.

Guest Pistonbroke

I got Stevie Heighway's autobiography donkeys years ago & I'm sure he said he had no interest in football and had never watched a game he had not played in, and he ended up our youth supremo for years.

One of my all time favourites. It was Heighway who scored the only goal in my very first game at Anfield in 74 when we beat Leeds 1-0. He'll be 70 this Month, Christ I feel old. 

I see Shearer has done a piece for the BBC saying why he thinks Man City are unstoppable. It was only a month ago he was saying the same about Man United and why he thought they would win the league. Those pundits are earning money for old rope. 

What I learned about football from most pundits and Shearer in particular is that you should not make it too easy for the other team, you should not stand too far away from the opposing player and there is a big striped square into which all forwards must be running.

Oh, and you should never pick Schoolboy, since he makes all the errors.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

What I learned about football from most pundits and Shearer in particular is that you should not make it too easy for the other team, you should not stand too far away from the opposing player and there is a big striped square into which all forwards must be running.

Oh, and you should never pick Schoolboy, since he makes all the errors.

Also it is impossible to forget all the teams Shearer played for, because he is constantly reminding us. 

What I was trying to say was what Pirlo had you cannot teach, it was natural to him, he’s said he just got the ball and would quickly evaluate the quickest path to the opposition goal and would pass to the nearest person to where he thought the shortest route would be. That sort of vision and quick thinking cannot be taught, the same way it’s literally pointless asking Robbie Fowler to coach our strikers, how can you teach someone to be in the right place at the right time? All he could do is teach them to strike the ball cleanly which in theory a professional footballer should be able to do anyway.

Suarez is the same, I don’t think he ever has a plan when he gets the ball, he just acts off instinct and does what comes naturally to him. If a youngster asked him how he scored that goal against Newcastle his reply would be “I dunno just controlled it on my shoulder and finished it”.

• Upvote 2

I see Harry Winks and Deli Alli have pulled out of the England games due to injury but will be fit for Arsenal in next premier league game.

I'm not saying they're the only ones doing this but didn't we get a load of shit off the media for trying something like this a few years back I think it might have involved Gerrard or Sturridge and Hodgson was manager?

Guest Pistonbroke

I see Harry Winks and Deli Alli have pulled out of the England games due to injury but will be fit for Arsenal in next premier league game.

I'm not saying they're the only ones doing this but didn't we get a load of shit off the media for trying something like this a few years back I think it might have involved Gerrard or Sturridge and Hodgson was manager?

Have you seen the state of the squad, If I was Germany and Brazil I'd send B teams. 

Delph pulling out of international football sums up perfectly how fucking pointless it is.

He’s fucking shite, the thought he’d even ever get an international cap is ridiculous and he’s pulling out of the chance to play against the World Champions and Brazil.

Just kill international football and move on.

• Upvote 4

I understand that the influx of Foreign players has made a difference , but I can't get my head around spending my childhood seeing getting an England shirt as a fantastic achievement for a player , and great players such as Hudson, Currie , Smith, Lawler , Worthington and Osgood barely get a cap between them , whereas now Winks & Gomez are both in the squad with less than 10 good premier league between them.

• Upvote 2

I understand that the influx of Foreign players has made a difference , but I can't get my head around spending my childhood seeing getting an England shirt as a fantastic achievement for a player , and great players such as Hudson, Currie , Smith, Lawler , Worthington and Osgood barely get a cap between them , whereas now Winks & Gomez are both in the squad with less than 10 good premier league between them.

Quite. How did it ever get to this:

https://www.davidbeckham.com/

Spin/shite over substance.

Delph pulling out of international football sums up perfectly how fucking pointless it is.

He’s fucking shite, the thought he’d even ever get an international cap is ridiculous and he’s pulling out of the chance to play against the World Champions and Brazil.

Just kill international football and move on.

I think Ingerlund is still a popular thing, just not among the fans of the top six clubs.

What I mean is, when everyone is fit I think it's pretty safe to say that each of the top six would put out a better side than England.  Maybe not Arsenal but it's pretty close, and the other five are comfortably better.

So if you're, say, a Norwich or Southampton or Everton or Nottingham Forest or whatever small club fan, you dream that your best player might get to go and play with some of the Premier League stars you watch on Match of the Day, and you look forward to it.

But if you're a City or Liverpool (etc) fan, the only thing you think is "please don't injure our players, you useless FA wankers," because you watch football better than that every week so it's just not appealing.

My point is that while the appeal of international football is certainly waning over the long-term, I can still see why it exists.  There's enough interest in it that the corrupt and antiquated FA are going to try to squeeze every penny they can from it, even if it means umpteen million international breaks to play pointless friendlies.  And it's not like FIFA are going to shut it down or anything, they're on the money teat as well.

So as frustrating as it is, I don't see any way that it changes in our lifetimes.