You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grenfall Tower Fire

What a horrendous situation for the people and their families. Without drawing up a list of SHIT THINGS THAT CAN HAPPEN, this would be up there near the top. It must have just been blind panic in there. Has anything been said about how it started?

Apparently some bloke living on the fourth floor said it started when his fridge exploded.

Harley Facades . Small company MD/ Owner a chap called Ray Bailey.

I guess the hacks will be all over him seeing how he got his contracts and any political affiliations he may have.

The compartmentalisation of apartments is really quite primitive - all pipework is supposed to sealed between apartments, but it's very rarely done well, and smoke could get between them without too much trouble.

Plasterboard should inhibit fire, but only for a limited period, and sprinklers would not be much use if a fire managed to take hold like this, although the sprinklers are designed to try and nip the fire in the bud and buy a little time for evacuation. Unlike you see in the movies, the sprinklers do not 'all go off' - only the ones triggered by the heat will do that, and most systems are only designed for a couple of heads to go off at any one time.

The media lap this shit up don't they. I know it's their role but the way they bounce off tragic news can be quite sickenning.

Arguably because the public at large do too.

Bad news sells, always has, probably always will. I loathe the way the media have be 'at the scene', but I think we all have to be honest and accept that the public are as much to blame for accepting this form of reportage (very loose definition there)

Guest Pistonbroke

The media lap this shit up don't they. I know it's their role but the way they bounce off tragic news can be quite sickenning.

Indeed, plus it is all engineered by the powers that be. As sad as it all is, it would have commanded a 5 minute slot on all the main news programs back in the day. These days they just base the whole news around such tragic events, it's like they are trying to keep the publics mind off how shit the residing Gov't is, it isn't just the Tories mind. The local community and businesses are rallying around supplying stuff for those affected, read earlier that Jamie Oliver has also offered free food and accommodation which hopefully will lead to others doing so. Where are the Gov't in all of this? Surely they should have plans in place for such tragic events. 

Council owned the property and farmed it out to a cowboy management company

One of the richest boroughs in the country , Tory cunts

Nick Hurd, policing and fire minister, who said officials would carry out checks in buildings undergoing refurbishments similar to those carried out at the Grenfell Tower.

He said authorities discussed "a process whereby we seek to identify towers that might be in a similar process of refurbishment, run a system of checks and inspections, so that we can as quickly as possible give reassurance to people".

Mr Hurd added: "This isn't an issue of resources. Everyone I've spoken to on the front line, the fire, the police or the ambulance services, resources have not been the issue."

He also said there would be "an intensive process to really understand what happened here and that any lessons that need to be learnt are learnt so that we don't go through this experience again".

No you dumb cunt, you identify all towers. I travel all across the country with my job and see some fucking horrendous towers, most look like they've encountered bomb damage, in horrific states.

So it took a 1 hours 15 minutes to come to this conclusion? Fuck me. Shit like this makes my blood boil from these incompetent cunts.

Sadly, every building is a fire risk and ultimately there's a price on any person's head. It sounds awful, but that's the reality. They play 'the odds', just as an architect does, or an aircraft designer does.

What's worrying is that there are countless tower blocks (and other buildings) which simply aren't designed for easy egress in an emergency, and the fire systems are not particularly robust in a major situation - they're much more geared to a single manageable fire. If there's an explosion next to the fire panel and it gets wiped out, or the riser for the sprinklers is fractured - then that's that.

Bloke under the Twitter handle of @crispymick is one of the firefighters who went in last night.

Apparently, it was that bad a fire that the firemen were told to write their names on their helmets just in case.

He's tweeted a pic of his helmet (oooh, Matron) and the S*n have asked to use his pic and he's told them to fuck off.

Good bloke on two fronts! Bravo!

• Upvote 3