You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grenfall Tower Fire

It's not a specific choice between the cladding or sprinklers, it's more a choice of where to spend the budget... in the aftermath of this specific disaster, everybody shouts 'Sprinklers!', but 2 years down the line when people can't afford fuel bills, people might scream 'insulation!', or 'a recreation area for the community!'

People are saying 'for just 200K (example) more, these people could have been saved!' - but if there was bomb incident, someone would say 'for 200K more they could have used different glass', or if there was an earthquake, people would say 'for 200K more you could have implemented...'

Hindsight is a great thing, and safety seems the obvious choice right now, but there is no end to how much you can spend on safety... with an unlimited budget, but as soon as you do have a limited budget, something has to give.

Something does indeed have to give mate. Tax cuts for the obscenely wealthy would be pretty high up my list tbh.

You're a good example, you've experience of working in different counties, you've led large teams of people, you seem politically motivated but you'd be taking a 50% pay cut to do a job where you may get fucked off after 4 years. Why bother?

Public service.

Can you imagine having the House of Commons full of people who are motivated by, y'know, doing something worthwhile, rather than just the never-ending quest to accumulate mounds of shit they don't need? I'm enjoying a little naive reverie here, but I can't help thinking the country would be a better place if our Parliament had more Mhairi Blacks and fewer Boris Johnsons.

If you use obscene amounts of money to attract people to become MPs, you will primarily attract the wrong sort of MP. 

I have a friend who works as a channel scheduler for one of the lesser viewed streams obtained via sky packages, she consistently informs our what'sapp group of minor things viewers pick up in discriptions so the idea that someone would point out the inappropriateness of a film at a certain time isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Though it could be people were looking out for it too.

With regards that same impulse, my bullshit geiger counter tends to go off when wealthy people think that redistribution in inequitous societies will make them worse off when in a substantive number of studies show that even the wealthiest in equal societies tend to be happier and have better mental health.

This is in part due to a reduction in fear around the notion that your livlihood and belongings will be stolen away from you by an impoverished group and also a reduction in the required avarice to keep up with those in the upper brackets of wealth within the society. People also tend to not fear a drop in living standards as much when you can see that those who have less than you aren't living in utter destituion.

The sensitivity is obviously driven by negative impacts on viewing figures and therefore advertising revenue. £ not feelings is the issue.

I'll be defensive and assume that's a dig at me voting Tory. Happy to be proved wrong. Also happy to point you to the numerous posts where I say I'm happy to pay my 40% tax. I don't want to pay more and I don't want to be made redundant. Both those things are more likely under Labour.

No but she wants public enquiry not an inquest.

Can't you have both?

Apparently not.

I thought May had done the right thing when she very quickly came out to order a public inquiry.  Here's a solicitor on Newsnight explaining the difference - and raising some really intriguing points.

• Upvote 1

Public service.

Can you imagine having the House of Commons full of people who are motivated by, y'know, doing something worthwhile, rather than just the never-ending quest to accumulate mounds of shit they don't need? I'm enjoying a little naive reverie here, but I can't help thinking the country would be a better place if our Parliament had more Mhairi Blacks and fewer Boris Johnsons.

If you use obscene amounts of money to attract people to become MPs, you will primarily attract the wrong sort of MP.

I can imagine a House of Commons full of worthy people. I can also imagine a system of lobbyists and backers who are much fucking brighter than the MPs and who therefore control the lot. For fucks sake running the country should be the one job you get paid fucking loads for.

Apparently not.

I thought May had done the right thing when she very quickly came out to order a public inquiry.  Here's a solicitor on Newsnight explaining the difference - and raising some really intriguing points.

Try Adamwagner1 on Twitter.

Guest Pistonbroke

When the protestors reaching Downing Street tonight it would have made riveting viewing if the Police had downed tools and said, righto, we're off down the pub, haven't had a day off in 2 weeks.

You have to admire how the police and emergency services put politics out of their minds while doing their jobs, especially the NHS and firefighters. They care mate, the Tories and in most cases politicians don't give a fuck. People can slag Corbyn off all they like but the bloke clearly does give a fuck. He's old school Left, and he's a better person because of it. Fuck the likes of Blair, Cameron and May, those cunts are even worse than that bitch Thatcher. All about money for them and their pals. Look at the state of the country you live in off the back of the recent atrocities, if it hadn't been for the emergency services and the communities pulling together it would have been a right shit state, this Gov't clearly hasn't got a fucking scoobies. People might want to brush that off as hysteria, but it's frightening as fuck how incompetent they are, or it would be if I lived there. 

You have to admire how the police and emergency services put politics out of their minds while doing their jobs, especially the NHS and firefighters. They care mate, the Tories and in most cases politicians don't give a fuck. People can slag Corbyn off all they like but the bloke clearly does give a fuck. He's old school Left, and he's a better person because of it. Fuck the likes of Blair, Cameron and May, those cunts are even worse than that bitch Thatcher. All about money for them and their pals. Look at the state of the country you live in off the back of the recent atrocities, if it hadn't been for the emergency services and the communities pulling together it would have been a right shit state, this Gov't clearly hasn't got a fucking scoobies. People might want to brush that off as hysteria, but it's frightening as fuck how incompetent they are, or it would be if I lived there.

You cannot be a functioning adult, it's just impossible.

• Downvote 2

The sensitivity is obviously driven by negative impacts on viewing figures and therefore advertising revenue. £ not feelings is the issue.

I'll be defensive and assume that's a dig at me voting Tory. Happy to be proved wrong. Also happy to point you to the numerous posts where I say I'm happy to pay my 40% tax. I don't want to pay more and I don't want to be made redundant. Both those things are more likely under Labour.

The recent pull out of advertisers to Bill O'Reilys show on Fox news was almost entirely due to corporate ethics as his show had not seen a decrease in viewing figures post the sexual harasment allegations made against him and I highly doubt his base cared that they were associated with his show. Though maybe a unique set of circumstances.

Regarding the 40% figure on your earnings would uou accept that by post war UK and western european standards that is pretty low? I would point to the UK's wealth distribution curve and earnings graph post tax as indicators as to why our society seems to being going through a period of political uncertainty and popular dissent. Sometimes it pays to give a little more so that you and family and friends can live in a more equitous and secure society.

At one point my dad complained bitterly to me about the governments tax take on his earnings (higher than yours at the time), I pointed out to him that not only was his wife employed by the state to ensure people could walk again after having amputations, but that both of his children had gone through all levels (including tertiary) education tuition fee free (Scotland), that he had never had to worry about medical insurance costs bankrupting him, that his local public services and infrastructure enabled him to be economically productive and his family lead better lives and that it had manifestly improved the lives of his family/friends (in particular those who had remained on Merseyside) who were not as fortunate as he. He acquised to that point, though did grumble predictably, ha ha.

You cannot be a functioning adult, it's just impossible.

Why are you forever on the defensive mate. You can't really disagree with anything said there.

Labour born and bred for many years yet I could never come to terms with the Blair,Mandelson direction of the party nonsense back in the day. I fucking hated it.

There are times when allegiances mean fuck all. It's either right or wrong. You've been let down brother. We've all been there.

• Upvote 1

Your 'comparison' is interesting. Do you really think the circumstances are the same?

I have no opinion on what happens abroad, it's irrelevant. I may be wrong but haven't reductions in tax been offset by VAT and NI? Forgive me if I'm wrong but we live in the safest period ever.

Just watched May's interview on Newsnight, has she learned nothing from her election campaign ? Refusing to answer the most simple questions, dogmatically spouting the same old arrogantly superior Tory shit, it's wholly insulting and inflammatory.

Possibly now the most hated person in the country. If she wasn't worthy of that dubious accolade I'd probably pity the demented lunatic.

Just watched May's interview on Newsnight, has she learned nothing from her election campaign ? Refusing to answer the most simple questions, dogmatically spouting the same old arrogantly superior Tory shit, it's wholly insulting and inflammatory.

I'm very clear that answering questions is important. 

• Upvote 2

Why are you forever on the defensive mate. You can't really disagree with anything said there.

Labour born and bred for many years yet I could never come to terms with the Blair,Mandelson direction of the party nonsense back in the day. I fucking hated it.

There are times when allegiances mean fuck all. It's either right or wrong. You've been let down brother. We've all been there.

The Tories don't give a fuck - so 40% of the voting public don't care

Yet the police and ambulance service are great- therefore there are no police or ambulance service Tories

Communities have come together - but no Tories in this, the most Tory of communities have been involved?