You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grenfall Tower Fire

Police are now saying 58 people missing and presumed dead in addition to the 30 already that have been declared as dead.

10 also in critical condition in hospital.

In fairness they're also saying that may be subject to revision as they receive further information.

Ishmahil Blagrove is the fucking man. He's the only person I've seen make complete sense in an angry yet articulate manner, he sums up the moment and the feeling in that video, he's angry, he's speaking for the people, he's the man.

This countries slowly seeing the real criminals and it's beginning to show, they'll be a "revolution" soon the way it's going.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Ishmahil Blagrove is the fucking man. He's the only person I've seen make complete sense in an angry yet articulate manner, he sums up the moment and the feeling in that video, he's angry, he's speaking for the people, he's the man.

This countries slowly seeing the real criminals and it's beginning to show, they'll be a "revolution" soon the way it's going.

Don't know about that mate, far too many Tory (plastic Tories due to Brexit) gobshytes who couldn't give a fuck, as long as they aren't affected all they are interested in is having money and a cushy life, or seeing Brexit through, the harder the better. 

Don't know about that mate, far too many Tory (plastic Tories due to Brexit) gobshytes who couldn't give a fuck, as long as they aren't affected all they are interested in is having money and a cushy life, or seeing Brexit through, the harder the better.

I know what your saying mate but it only takes a few to start and to quickly gain momentum, then you get all the Facebook retards jumping on the bandwagon who don't really know why they're demonstrating but they will join in anyway.

The younger generation who voted, generally voted labour so like Ishmahil Blagrove says the tide is starting to turn, I honestly believe if they had another election now Labour would win, them cunts are getting shown for what they really are now and the younger and working class, who either didn't vote or went for a neutral party, would vote for labour. I know a few people who voted Plaid Cymru simply because they didn't want to vote for the Conservatives but also believed the media agenda and didn't believe Corbyn was a strong enough leader, his empathy this week alone has shown that he's twice the people person than any of them Tory cunts are.

Yes, that's exactly what it is. Neg away but this clown is fucking clueless. He's not lived here for years but he's got his finger on the zeitgeist (see what i did there?). Plus he's a landlord - aren't they the baddies?

He's the Top Trump lefty.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/my-council-tax-rebate-from-kensington-and-chelsea-is-blood-money?CMP=share_btn_tw58

In 2014, I received my Kensington and Chelsea council tax bill and a letter from the leader of the council, Nicholas Paget-Brown, explaining that all residents who pay council tax in full would “receive a one-off payment of £100”, to be deducted from the bill. This bonus, the letter continued, was due to the council’s careful management of its finances over the years, “consistently delivering greater efficiencies while improving services”. Austerity, K&C style: you give to the rich while taking from the poor (nobody with discounted bills or claiming council tax support was eligible to share in the bounty of the town hall blue-chips).

On a Conservative website, Paget-Brown further explained that “thanks to an overachieving efficiency drive”, the council was “well ahead of [its] savings targets for the year”. Triple AAA credit status, how nice. In deciding what to do with this surplus, he continued, “we have taken the view that it is simply wrong to discount from our calculations whose money this was in the first place. In short, we think the right place for it is back with our residents.”

In May 2014, the local election returned a huge majority of Conservative councillors. Business as usual. For years, the Royal Borough has got away with bribing the electorate with its own money. For years, the Royal Borough has been running huge underspends in its revenue budgets which it then transfers into capital reserves. The underspend in the 2016-17 adult services budget alone is £1.9m. Apparently, adult services in the area are doing so well they don’t need the money. And every other social service must be performing brilliantly, as the council’s projected reserves of £167m by the end of 2016-17 has climbed to a staggering £209m – that’s £42m surplus to requirements. How many sprinkler systems is that?

As the toxic ash of Grenfell Tower’s vanity cladding falls over the neighbouring streets, we are left with the acrid truth in our throats: regeneration in the Royal Borough is in fact a crime of greed and selfishness. I took the refund. At the time, I felt uncomfortable with this decision and the ways in which I justified it to myself. And then I forgot about it, until the smoke drifting into my flat in the early hours of Wednesday woke me up. Today, I gave it back. It wasn’t ever mine to keep. I handed it over in cash to a vicar running a refuge for the victims of the fire in a local church. I explained that it was not a donation, not a charitable act, that it was guilt money and he was doing me a kindness by taking it off my hands.

If you live in Kensington and Chelsea, please, give your rebate back. But not to the council, which seems to have trouble in identifying those – “our residents” – who might actually need it.

Name and address supplied

Guest Pistonbroke

I know what your saying mate but it only takes a few to start and to quickly gain momentum, then you get all the Facebook retards jumping on the bandwagon who don't really know why they're demonstrating but they will join in anyway.

The younger generation who voted, generally voted labour so like Ishmahil Blagrove says the tide is starting to turn, I honestly believe if they had another election now Labour would win, them cunts are getting shown for what they really are now and the younger and working class, who either didn't vote or went for a neutral party, would vote for labour. I know a few people who voted Plaid Cymru simply because they didn't want to vote for the Conservatives but also believed the media agenda and didn't believe Corbyn was a strong enough leader, his empathy this week alone has shown that he's twice the people person than any of them Tory cunts are.

True, the younger generation have woken up to the bullshit and they won#t be easily fooled by the shit Tory right wing media. 

True, the younger generation have woken up to the bullshit and they won#t be easily fooled by the shit Tory right wing media. 

Every generation believes they are the ones that finally turn the tide... they don't. Sometimes the tides does turn, but they are swept along by the tide, not the other way around.

'Won't get fooled again' by The Who was written in 1971 - it was the same then as it is today, and it was the same before them...

Guest Pistonbroke

Every generation believes they are the ones that finally turn the tide... they don't. Sometimes the tides does turn, but they are swept along by the tide, not the other way around.

'Won't get fooled again' by The Who was written in 1971 - it was the same then as it is today, and it was the same before them...

Social media is making a difference mate, the last GE proved this. Politics in the UK is a weird one though, they don't seem capable of putting their differences aside and working for what is better for the country as a whole. Hopefully that will change in the future, but I doubt it. 

Social media is making a difference mate, the last GE proved this. Politics in the UK is a weird one though, they don't seem capable of putting their differences aside and working for what is better for the country as a whole. Hopefully that will change in the future, but I doubt it. 

I've become too cynical to believe it.

It's all 'more of the same' to me. I don't see a sea change in politics coming.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I've become too cynical to believe it.

It's all 'more of the same' to me. I don't see a sea change in politics coming.

Something has to give mate, the World is changing. The UK is becoming a spiteful place to live as it is split down the middle on a lot of issues. Thankfully there are still a lot of good people about, but for the sake of your country things have to change for the better, the Right Wing twats are gathering more sympathisers due to frightened people believing all the bollocks the media print. Loads want the EU to fail despite the fact that would be shit for their own country. Probably the wrong thread for all this though. 

Sky News Newsdesk

@SkyNewsNewsBreak

Theresa May says the public inquiry into the Grenfell Tower fire will report personally to the Prime Minister

If there is a wrong thing to do, Theresa will find a way to do it. I know enquiries are supposed to report to the government first, but May is not the government, and this enquiry is crying out for a simultaneous release to government and public. This will only increase the impression there will be a cover up or whitewash.

Who is advising her? Seriously, it's mis-step after mis-step.

One of the most repugnant threads on Twitter, started unsurprisingly by David Vance. You read the initial tweet, and some of the replies underneath, and you wonder how some people can be so blackened and twisted inside.

https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/876012267476848640

I've never heard of this cunt, I've just had a go at him on twitter. 

• Upvote 1

One of the most repugnant threads on Twitter, started unsurprisingly by David Vance. You read the initial tweet, and some of the replies underneath, and you wonder how some people can be so blackened and twisted inside.

'What will I do today, I know I'll go on the internet and have a pop at a load of people who have just been burned to death in a fire.'

The human race is a curse on the planet, it really is.

i actually work in construction, granted, on a much lower scale of construction than what the Grenfell tower refurb would have been.

But from my bit of experience in tendering for government work here in Ireland, and from my experience with construction company.

the only thing they all care about now is cheapness, they dont care one iota for quality. Be it quality in the products being used, or the quality of the workmanship of the tradesmen, hence, in my opinion the vast majority of things being built or efurbished at the moment is full of inferior, cheap shit.

it seems fairly common knowledge now that the exterior cladding was the main issue in this fire. I would bet my house on it that when the cladding was specced for the job, that they knew there was a more expensive alternative that would be better. But as i said earlier, price is key. Nobody cares about anything else now only price.

Here's a small example. I fit industrial lino, mainly in labs, clean rooms, classrooms etc..... we also fit wall cladding, interior cladding, not exterior. But pvc cladding to lab walls and ceilings. 

The particular cladding we use is fully stuck with an epoxy resin adhesive. But more often than not we get undercut by other contractors peddling an inferior product that is stuck with a strong silicone. So while our cladding is fully stuck and solid to touch, the inferior product is holow to touch, and there's technically a cavity behind (of only 2-3mm). So on a much smaller scale, if there's a fire in one of these labs with the inferior product, the fire will get behind the wall cladding being used by our competitors.

So for going off on a slight tangent, but in my opinion what i see in my smaller scale job is just multiplied on a larger jobsite.

It all boils down to greed. Greed from whoever is paying for the job, and greed by big construction companies in changing what was originally specced.

I can tell you that most new builds AND refurbs I've worked on 'try' to incorporate fire stopping (trying to prevent smoke leakage between rooms) but almost every build I've seen there are breaches, or shoddy workmanship. Plumbing, Electrics, Data, HVACV and Sprinklers all go through party walls, and invariable one of them won't have fire stopped, and often plaster board is put up on the ceiling (covering the issue). Often the electricians / plumbers etc INTENDED to fire stop, but were later prevented from doing so when the plasterboard goes up, and then there's a pressure to complete the building, and it gets skipped (perhaps not in all rooms, but certainly in some).

Also, people will drill through party walls then change the routing of pipework or cabling, and just leave the holes... so the NEW holes are firestopped, but nothing is done about the old ones.

There's also an issue (to my mind) with the assumption that a stairwell doesn't need protection as it's deemed a safe area. Imagine a real fire... with 200 people trying to evacuate... the doors to the stairwell are NOT going to remain shut... they are going to be open, which then facilitates smoke getting into the stairwells. I've never understood why this has never been addressed (if it has, I don't know the logic behind it and firefighters will confirm stairwells full of smoke)

In 2009 I posted this in response to Si (yeah I know) during the exploding disc saga.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/93977-how-does-one-go-about-obtaining-non-disclosure-forms/?p=2757553

I came out of working on Fire Alarms, Vent Systems and Power Supplies about 2 years later if I remember rightly. If anything, in that period things got worse than they had been before.

Margins just kept on getting tighter and the more they did the more quality dropped. 

By the end of my time there I wouldn't sign jobs off or allow things through test but there was always people who would happily put their name on it instead. Eventually, I got laid off, I think for a combination of things, biggest wage, lower margins and the fact I actually gave a shit about doing the job right. 

The combination of having worked in the Defence Industry and the Fire Industry really was a big impact on how much I realised that a huge amount of people really do not give a flying fuck about the impact of what they are doing as long as there is a few quid in it. 

Then I read stuff like that and it spells out exactly how the Tories return so many votes from people they're shafting. Fucking pond life with all the intelligence of a dead badger believing lazy stereotypes that make them feel better about themselves instead of demanding better for all.

Divide and rule indeed.

Apparently stairwells are supposed to be pressurised in an attempt to prevent smoke getting into the stairwells, however many have questioned how effective this really is when multiple doors across multiple levels are open bad would be the case in prolonged evacuation).

The pressurisation system, if fitted, could fail outright, or it could simply be unable to maintain a positive pressure with so many doors open. Furthermore, it's providing oxygen to a fire.

Mr. Corbyn has asked Mrs. May to ensure the scope of the enquiry covers processes and decisions made prior to the fire, rather than just the specific nature of the fire itself, which I agree with. However, he has added that it should look at fire legislation for buildings 'of this type. I would ask that the inquiry widens further to give new guidance (if necessary) on all building types, but failing that, certainly any living accommodation.

It would be a shame if we had new recommendations for tower blocks, then suffer another disaster in block that didn't meet the definition of tower block. Right now there are lots of apartments being built that are only 2 to 4 storeys high, but quite large footprints, particularly for over 50s living.

Cunt should be torched, Wickerman style

Might give him some insight into what people went through just before they burnt to death

mans.jpg