You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grenfall Tower Fire

Stayed away from this after posting early yesterday because I found it pretty fucking traumatic to be honest, and didn't want to be going on about Tories on the same day. Seeing the reports and footage of one side of the building burning early on and then seeing how it eventually covered the entire top half was horrible. This article seems to give a good summary of why it's ultimately a political issue as well though, and why that aspect shouldn't be ignored : A Very Political Tragedy - Today’s horrific fire in London's Grenfell Tower is a symbol of a deeply unequal United Kingdom

• Upvote 2

The media lap this shit up don't they. I know it's their role but the way they bounce off tragic news can be quite sickenning.

I heard on the way in to work that the rag has given over something like 19 pages to it

Bloke under the Twitter handle of @crispymick is one of the firefighters who went in last night.

Apparently, it was that bad a fire that the firemen were told to write their names on their helmets just in case.

He's tweeted a pic of his helmet (oooh, Matron) and the S*n have asked to use his pic and he's told them to fuck off.

Good bloke on two fronts! Bravo!

19225108_1192263484252716_87538673343993

• Upvote 6

Apparently the cladding on the outside of the building doesn't need to be completely fireproof.

If so, then there has been a massive miss by the surveyor signing off the work as that would comprise the buildings fire compartment design and also the fire evacuation protocol.

Basically, they've wrapped it in a way, to turn it into a giant fire lighter.

If so, then there has been a massive miss by the surveyor signing off the work as that would comprise the buildings fire compartment design and also the fire evacuation protocol.

Basically, they've wrapped it in a way, to turn it into a giant fire lighter.

The material on the outside of the cladding is aluminium which needs to be fireproof but underneath it doesn't need to be.

Apparently the current regulations span from the 1970s and are concerned with fires spreading from one building to another and with regards to the actual flats to stop the fire spreading inside the flats.

One of the people who designed the flats said the building did meet these standards as it was made from concrete and concrete doesn't burn.

Some girl just been on TV saying that she reckons 100 people are dead which include 50 kids. She was a Muslim and 90% of thd residents in those flats were Muslim she reckons it's revenge for tower Bridge.

The material on the outside of the cladding is aluminium which needs to be fireproof but underneath it doesn't need to be.

The aluminum is the facade, thats there to make it look shiny and new, the inner insulation forms part of what the whole refurb was initiated for - There was an outer piece to add insulation and internally, additionally the heating system was totally overhauled due to heating issues in the winter. 

From an architectural point of view, like with most builds, its safety first, second and third and as such, this cladding must not compromise the safety characteristics of the building and the inner insulation has to conform with the safety characteristics of the building and should not depart from them, this, sadly, seems to be the case. Simply put - the inner insulation negated the compartmentalisation design of the building. 

Anyone else noticed the sundden increase of people who now seem to be experts on fire ?

Not me though.

However, I have been an expert on cladding since my early childhood. In my own words I would describe cladding, as the application of one material over another to provide skin or layer intended to control the infiltration of weather elements, or for aesthetic purposes.[1] Cladding does not necessarily have to provide a waterproof condition but is instead a control element. This control element may only serve to safely direct water or wind in order to control run-off and prevent infiltration into the building structure. This is also a control element to prevent noise from entering or escaping. Cladding applied to windows is often referred to as window capping and is a very specialized field.[2]

• Upvote 1

Theresa May rocks up visits in private doesn't meet residents gets deserved shit for it.

Tell me you're making this up.

However, it has not escaped my notice that she has already announced a public enquiry into what's happened. Call me cynical but is she now popping up at every event to demonstrate her humanity and empathy with 'ordinary' people?

Tell me you're making this up.

However, it has not escaped my notice that she has already announced a public enquiry into what's happened. Call me cynical but is she now popping up at every event to demonstrate her humanity and empathy with 'ordinary' people?

No. She pitched up, met with the leaders of the emergency services in a 'private' visit for 'security reasons,' then fucked off without meeting any residents or survivors.