You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Interesting Comments from Carra...

an tha

Nonsense - unadulterated bollocks. They have more knowledge of what is involved than supporters, that is why they analyse.

Stating footballers can be matched by a good few supporters is just a ridiculous statement, riddled with contempt. They know more than you and that is why you are talking to me here, and they are not.

Why are you so determined to be correct here that you seem to be losing your rag? I admit that there are 'some' analysts who speak a fair bit of sense but most speak absolute bollocks and simply have the same opinions as fans in their local boozer. The problem is that some people have been taken in to believe that because they've played the game at a good level they know everything about football. Wenger,Mourinho,Rafa didn't play at a particularly high level yet have got shitloads of trophies to prove they know a fair bit about the game. And anybody who tells me Paul Merson speaks more sense about football than the average fan is as pissed as he usually is.

Why are you so determined to be correct here that you seem to be losing your rag? I admit that there are 'some' analysts who speak a fair bit of sense but most speak absolute bollocks and simply have the same opinions as fans in their local boozer. The problem is that some people have been taken in to believe that because they've played the game at a good level they know everything about football. Wenger,Mourinho,Rafa didn't play at a particularly high level yet have got shitloads of trophies to prove they know a fair bit about the game. And anybody who tells me Paul Merson speaks more sense about football than the average fan is as pissed as he usually is.

I'm not losing my rag at all, as you well know - you seem determined to be seen as being as knowledgeable as footballers, clearly it is an issue for you. You're not, most fans talk absolute bollocks - we don't know half as much as we think we do, and this forum is a living example of that. 

I'm not losing my rag at all, as you well know - you seem determined to be seen as being as knowledgeable as footballers, clearly it is an issue for you. You're not, most fans talk absolute bollocks - we don't know half as much as we think we do, and this forum is a living example of that.

If you'd rather believe other people's opinions just because they've played football professionally rather than make up your own mind,then fine thats your perogative,but I'd rather make up my own mind based on around 45 years of watching, listening and learning from others.

• Upvote 1

If you'd rather believe other people's opinions just because they've played football professionally rather than make up your own mind,then fine thats your perogative,but I'd rather make up my own mind based on around 45 years of watching, listening and learning from others.

I always remember Ian St John years ago on the radio phone ins after the matches.

Whenever any caller disagreed or called him out on a load of shit he was spouting, you would always get the old “ well, you’ve never played the game “ or “ have you played the game to a high level like I have “ from St John. It was always his get out when he was stumped

Plenty of top managers never played at the top level or any level for that matter. Plenty of top players made shit managers too.

It's no great surprise.

Studying the game > heading a football for 20 years.

I wonder who understands football better out of Jonathan Wilson and Tim Sherwood.

• Upvote 1

Plenty of top managers never played at the top level or any level for that matter. Plenty of top players made shit managers too.

Fazakerley.

It's pretty much the same as the population in general. Its quite ironic that a lot of modern innovation is coming from outside the football circle,statisticians,dieticians,massage therapists etc and some obviously with no allegiance to the game. Ironically,our best managers before Klopp,Rafa and Ged,one didn't play at anything other than recreational level and another had some games lower down the Real Madrid spectrum before gaining a P.E. degree at University. Houllier had a teaching degree too.

They put the balls away in the plastic bin, or else they get the putter again.

I think you are underselling 'Bellers' versatility here GD. A highlight being his audition for WWE fame by attacking that Newcastle wanker, John Carver, with a metal chair at an airport.

I always remember Ian St John years ago on the radio phone ins after the matches.

Whenever any caller disagreed or called him out on a load of shit he was spouting, you would always get the old “ well, you’ve never played the game “ or “ have you played the game to a high level like I have “ from St John. It was always his get out when he was stumped

Tommy Smith used to do the same then they got tons of complaints from hysterical bitters that he was too biased. Then they replaced him with Duncan Mckenzie who turned his show into Bluekipper or GOT before Internet forums.

I can’t see them demoting Carragher. Neville made MNF popular but Carragher makes it the show it is. There aren’t many top ex pros who can actually break down the technical details which he highlights week in week out. He’s onviously got a team behind him as well but could you honestly see Redknapp, Henry or even Souness holding a show like that together. I actually don’t mind any of them as much as others seem to do but being honest they are your run of the mill pundits who tell you what you already know.

The only other person at Sky who could do MNF is Neville but I’ve got a feeling he doesn’t fancy it being a permanent fixture otherwise he’d already be back doing it every week with Carragher now. Sky aren’t soft. They know how good he is and would struggle to replace him. It’s telling how other fans have reacted since him taking on the job. There’s an obvious dislike of scousers in the country and he was up against it from the start. People were waiting to throw the “I can’t understand anything he says” “he’s a typical deluded Liverpool player/fan” and did it anyway even when he proved to be biased against Liverpool if anything and speak very clearly. A couple of years down the line he’s probably the most respected pundit in the game.

In terms of him resigning. I think he clearly enjoys the job and who wouldn’t. I imagine privately he thinks it was obviously a bad thing to do but he was goaded and is it really worth losing your job for especially considering it looks like Sky don’t think that way either.

I agree. Carra really seems to spend most of his life thinking about football. I remember before he became a pundit he said he’d watch any football, any league and women’s when it wasn’t popular. It didn’t surprise me a bit how knowledgeable he is.

I think maybe the thing Jockey is getting at Vlad is that you seem to be lumping Carragher in with the likes of Merson. I think you said earlier that you don’t watch any analysis at all which also maybe explains why you haven’t seen what he and others are getting at. Carragher isn’t just sitting there telling what is and what isn’t and giving some unsubstantiated opinion. He will do this on the Sunday’s/Saturday’s when he’s in the commentary box or studio for the game. It’s on the Monday night where you are missing out.

Most people who go to the game or watch on telly will get either one take of an incident or the version of it that is shown on TV. You can obviously still form and opinion on what happens from these things as that’s what fans and managers had to do for decades. Now though Carragher has a hundred angles to pick apart what tactics were applied and mistakes made. He points out subtleties that you just don’t see when you’re trying to enjoy the game because a lot of the time it’s off the ball.

You seem to be rubbishing analysis but in reality you or any other normal fan wouldn’t know a tenth of the stuff you do know without ex pros and managers explaining the sort of tactics and decisions they made and the circumstances they were in. Carragher himself will say a lot of the time we don’t know what the manager is telling him to do. He can still point out that he thinks it was wrong and why. You don’t have to agree with everything he says but it’s enlightening to listen and watch him. The same as it can be with Neville.

They’re both priceless to Sky because they haven’t had someone with their qualities before.

• Upvote 1

I think maybe the thing Jockey is getting at Vlad is that you seem to be lumping Carragher in with the likes of Merson. I think you said earlier that you don’t watch any analysis at all which also maybe explains why you haven’t seen what he and others are getting at. Carragher isn’t just sitting there telling what is and what isn’t and giving some unsubstantiated opinion. He will do this on the Sunday’s/Saturday’s when he’s in the commentary box or studio for the game. It’s on the Monday night where you are missing out.

Most people who go to the game or watch on telly will get either one take of an incident or the version of it that is shown on TV. You can obviously still form and opinion on what happens from these things as that’s what fans and managers had to do for decades. Now though Carragher has a hundred angles to pick apart what tactics were applied and mistakes made. He points out subtleties that you just don’t see when you’re trying to enjoy the game because a lot of the time it’s off the ball.

You seem to be rubbishing analysis but in reality you or any other normal fan wouldn’t know a tenth of the stuff you do know without ex pros and managers explaining the sort of tactics and decisions they made and the circumstances they were in. Carragher himself will say a lot of the time we don’t know what the manager is telling him to do. He can still point out that he thinks it was wrong and why. You don’t have to agree with everything he says but it’s enlightening to listen and watch him. The same as it can be with Neville.

They’re both priceless to Sky because they haven’t had someone with their qualities before.

I did say there are some good pundits as well as plenty of bad ones getting money for old rope. I don't watch any of them but have seen Neville and Carragher on occasion and they do seem a cut above most. The problem is that they are asked to fill so much air time that they either repeat the same stuff or just use cliched filler lines,they all do. Its simply not for me at all. Give me 'Here we are at Anfield fifteen minutes before kick off' followed by squashing all their necessary adverts again and a couple of minutes chat and the odd replay and back for the second half. At the end of the game another fifteen minutes of adverts,replays and the mandatory mind numbing after match interview and thats it. And the commentator sits alone without some ex footballer interrupting him with some mundane quip about a player's hair style or what's in the newspapers regarding an alleged transfer etc. The commentator can just do his job and save the viewers the extra ear ache.

Carragher’s just a latter-day version of Andy Gray, is he not?