You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Jurgens not stupid, if we know our weaknesses I'm sure Klopp knows. There's no way on this earth he's willing to pay 60m on a CD, and end up with no one. I reckon Transfer targets, Klopp and even moreso FSG are awaiting the outcome of the Play off game before making decisions.

I don't get this, has it not crossed your mind that we're reportedly willing to spend 60 mill on VVD because klopp and the club see him as an outstanding talent? And that perhaps the possible alternatives to VVD aren't looked on in the same way?

And why would they wait for the CL play-off finals to be decided? What difference would that make? Afterall didn't we bid 66mill for Keita? So the money is already there to spend mate.

Jurgens not stupid, if we know our weaknesses I'm sure Klopp knows. There's no way on this earth he's willing to pay 60m on a CD, and end up with no one. I reckon Transfer targets, Klopp and even moreso FSG are awaiting the outcome of the Play off game before making decisions.

Pretty risky waiting that long though isn't it 

I reckon Transfer targets, Klopp and even moreso FSG are awaiting the outcome of the Play off game before making decisions.

I've heard this a few times now but why bust your balls trying to get top 4 and not then strengthen before the final hurdle?

Let me make this perfectly clear, I think we need another CB. To go into next season without one would be pretty foolish in my opinion. But I'm not Jurgen Klopp. And I believe he sees things differently to most. I believe he has set his mind on VVD and if we can't get him, the alternatives in his eyes are so far behind in terms of quality, he'd rather not bother.

Oh and Klavan may be past coaching into a better player but, Klopp will most definitely believe he has the ability to take Joe Gomez to the next level. 100% he'll believe that.

Well we will see.

The problem for me is that the next level for Joe Gomez right now is just getting him playing top flight domestic football regularly - something he has hardly done in his career to date....let alone top level European football.

It would be a totally unnecessary gamble in my view to not get someone in at centre half but as the clock ticks by i am starting to believe we won't get someone.

It will bite us in the arse as well.

I don't get why Chelsea are even after him him after signing Rudiger, Azpilicueta was amazing playing on the right side of the three because he's a world class right back who's more defensively inclined, I don't think he'd suit playing as a wingback as he's not a swashbuckling fullback who gets forward a lot, they don't need to replace him at all, Luiz looked solid and reliable for a change which were his only weaknesses as a defender and now they've got Rudiger. Cahill has just been named club captain I think and they've got Christensen coming through and Zouma out on loan, £50-60m on a player they don't exactly need is a bit crazy if you ask me.

For what it's worth I think he'll end up at Chelsea simply because if they want someone they normally actually you know bid for the player, we'll try and wait it out being clever thinking that it's ok because Van Dijk will only come here but that's never going to be realistic is it, if he has to choose between signing for the league champions now or rely on us to get the deal over the line and potentially staying at a club he clearly can't now after his recent actions he'll pick Chelsea all day long. Like others have said, this is either Van Dijks agent giving Chelsea the green light saying he's open to the move there or its Southampton leaking this in order to appease their fans by saying "Chelsea offered £50m but we've managed to get £65m from Liverpool so we've got a much better deal" unfortunately I'd guess it's the first option. I hope after the Keita deal being 100% gone that we can at least get one of Klopps top targets.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that van Dijk and his agent would indicate they may listen to what chelsea would say but still turn around to southampton and say, he still only wants to go to Liverpool.

It wouldnt be the first time a player / agent has used such tactics to get what they want. I can think of shearer and terry to name two who said they would be 'delighted' to join Liverpool at different stages of their careers to force their clubs to agree new contracts etc.

Both those instances are a matter of fact as told by thommo when Liverpool approached both players during Ged's reign.

I don't get this, has it not crossed your mind that we're reportedly willing to spend 60 mill on VVD because klopp and the club see him as an outstanding talent? And that perhaps the possible alternatives to VVD aren't looked on in the same way?

And why would they wait for the CL play-off finals to be decided? What difference would that make? Afterall didn't we bid 66mill for Keita? So the money is already there to spend mate.

Has it not crossed your mind that Van Dijk might be willing to come regardless of the outcome of the Champs League? And that others targets might want to wait? 60m on a player that really wants to come, other targets might want to wait.

Other targets might not be looked upon in the same way as VVD because of this.

The 66m you mention for Keita, he reportedly wanted the move, we haven't been really been linked with anyone else because, maybe, it's the same as the above. Klopp himself he said he only wants players that want to come here and not because of Champs League. So he's gone bollocks deep for them 2.

Like I said, I agree we need another CB. But I don't make the signings, none of us do and I don't see any alternatives coming our way. Hopefully I'm wrong and the club will pull one out of the bag like they did with Gini, but I can't see it.

People have got to remember as well, say we went after Laporte from Bilbao or Gimenez from Atletico Madrid, it's getting that late in the day now, those two clubs are going to be really unwilling to sell now. Because they'd both really struggle to find suitable replacements themselves.

I do wonder if there is a clause in the contract he signed last summer that stipulates they will let him join a CL team and as we haven't qualified yet they are sitting tight hoping we dont make it through the qualifiers.

Nah, I don't think it's that at all mate. It's because of our past history with them, taking all their best players and because of how we acted earlier on in the summer. That's why they don't want to sell to us. It's more to appease their fans than anything else.

Has it not crossed your mind that Van Dijk might be willing to come regardless of the outcome of the Champs League? And that others targets might want to wait? 60m on a player that really wants to come, other targets might want to wait.

Other targets might not be looked upon in the same way as VVD because of this.

The 66m you mention for Keita, he reportedly wanted the move, we haven't been really been linked with anyone else because, maybe, it's the same as the above. Klopp himself he said he only wants players that want to come here and not because of Champs League. So he's gone bollocks deep for them 2.

Errrrrmmmm...Virgil Van Dijk want's to play for a CL club. That was widely reported in the press at the end of last season.  If we'd finished 5th last season, we wouldn't even be getting a look in. And he'd probably already be at Chelsea or City by now.

I mentioned the 66 mill bid for Keita because you said perhaps we're waiting till after the CL play-offs to sign VVD. My point was, why wait when we've already shown we've got the money to bid for VVD if we wanted to?

It is mindblowing that here we are almost two months since our embarrassing apology to Southampton and 'withdrawal of interest' in the player that someone hasn't grabbed hold of the situation (assuming we want to do it) and got it sorted.

Staggering incompetence really.

It is mindblowing that here we are almost two months since our embarrassing apology to Southampton and 'withdrawal of interest' in the player that someone hasn't grabbed hold of the situation (assuming we want to do it) and got it sorted.

Staggering incompetence really.

It's very frustrating. In fact the whole summer has been really.