You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

If the Chelsea interest is real then we need to throw a bid in before they do, if we only bid in reaction to Chelsea bidding it must put doubt in the players mind that we would of left it if Chelsea didn't bid, whats the harm in throwing a bid in even if they reject it, at least VVD would know we want him and are willing to bid for him. Then when the Chelsea bid comes in and we match it at least he knows it is because we want him.

I thought we wanted another team to make a bid, then that opens it up for us again to approach without being accused of anything. I think the Chelsea interest (if true) works more in our favour.  The bookies would appear to agree. 

I suspect that's not true. It makes sense to say that publicly so that VVD knows we are holding out for him, but if he goes elsewhere then you would have thought we'd have a plan B.

.......although it is us, so maybe not.....

I wouldn't hold your breath on that mate. Even though the majority of us believe it would be foolish to go into the next season without another CB, I think Klopp doesn't see it that way. I think he has got his eyes set on VVD or nobody else.

Plus, if there was an alternative I firmly believe we'd of got a sniff of who that maybe by now.

As has already been mentioned. If they do make a bid then it will be because VVD's agent has indicated they would accept. They won't just do it blindly.

This is what I'm starting to think as well. It might just have got to the point where VVD just wants out.

I thought we wanted another team to make a bid, then that opens it up for us again to approach without being accused of anything. I think the Chelsea interest (if true) works more in our favour.  The bookies would appear to agree. 

I Get that and agree but if we sit and wait and no one throws a bid in for him where does that leave us.

Plus what can SFC actually do if we bid? the premier league have said no action will be taken for the approach because we apologised, it was us that said we ended our interest in the player we weren't forced to do that (as far as I know). It is not like we don't want to piss SFC off.. who cares

I Get that and agree but if we sit and wait and no one throws a bid in for him where does that leave us.

Plus what can SFC actually do if we bid? the premier league have said no action will be taken for the approach because we apologised, it was us that said we ended our interest in the player we weren't forced to do that (as far as I know). It is not like we don't want to piss SFC off.. who cares

Well I would hope that as we get closer to the end of the window VvD ramps up the agitation, it's a risky approach and not ideal. Once Southampton can show their fans that they've tried to keep the player, that they've tried to offload him to other clubs but in the end he had to come to us, they will have their villains to booo and all will be well with that stepping stone club again. 

We don't have any other alternatives mate. It's VVD or nobody else.

And no it wouldn't. VVD is Southampton's player. He is under contract to them. They can refuse to sell whoever they like.

Cast your mind back to when we wanted to sign Gabriel Heinze from Man Utd. Did we get our man? No we did not. He ended up at Real Madrid because Utd refused to sell him to us. We even took it to court and lost.

I think we have alternatives if VVD is not an option. I think that was for VVD to ease any fears he had of insisting upon leaving - no club is prepared to pay £60m for a centre half and then if he doesn't happen, just say 'oh well, we don't really need one'! 

That just doesn't make sense. If they are prepared to pay that - they acknowledge it needs strengthening - you don't spend £60m on an area you are happy with! If VVD stays at Southampton they may wait but if he moves to Chelsea that's it - the'll move on. 

Yeah good point - forgot about that! Fuck Southampton - no doubt they'll do that and pop off to Celtic to buy yet another player from them! 

I think we have alternatives if VVD is not an option. I think that was for VVD to ease any fears he had of insisting upon leaving - no club is prepared to pay £60m for a centre half and then if he doesn't happen, just say 'oh well, we don't really need one'! 

That just doesn't make sense. If they are prepared to pay that - they acknowledge it needs strengthening - you don't spend £60m on an area you are happy with! If VVD stays at Southampton they may wait but if he moves to Chelsea that's it - the'll move on. 

Yeah good point - forgot about that! Fuck Southampton - no doubt they'll do that and pop off to Celtic to buy yet another player from them! 

Look mate, if we had an alternative to VVD we'd have got a sniff of who it is by now. The season starts next week. Just because it might make sense to me and you that we need another CB, it doesn't mean Klopp see's it that way. It's the same with Keita as well, we don't seem to have an alternative to him either.

It seems to me like Klopp has told the transfer committee get him VVD & Keita and if you can't do that,  I'll make do with what we've got and I'll just coach them to become better players.

Look mate, if we had an alternative to VVD we'd have got a sniff of who it is by now. Just because it might make sense to me and you that we need another CB, it doesn't mean Klopp see's it that way. It's the same with Keita as well, we don't have an alternative to him either.

It seems to me like Klopp has told the transfer committee get him VVD & Keita and if you can't do that,  I'll make do with what we've got and I'll just coach them to become better players.

I disagree to be honest - I think it is different not hearing anything about anyone and not being interested in anyone! Wijnaldum came out of nowhere last year, and we were linked with a player this morning - also reported we wanted Sanchez but not on loan. Salah came out of nowhere as well - it was Brandt, Pulisic all year and then end of season Salah was the main man and he came. 

I can't see that we would spend £60m and not see it as an area to improve - just doesn't make any sense, on any level to think that Klopp would say that. If I was Edwards i'd be saying 'well work with what you have got' and save the money.  

The Heinze wasn't as clear cut as they won't sell to us - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6900545.stm

But we'll see - personally I think it is a moot point, we'll get VVD. 

I disagree to be honest - I think it is different not hearing anything about anyone and not being interested in anyone! Wijnaldum came out of nowhere last year, and we were linked with a player this morning - also reported we wanted Sanchez but not on loan. Salah came out of nowhere as well - it was Brandt, Pulisic all year and then end of season Salah was the main man and he came. 

I can't see that we would spend £60m and not see it as an area to improve - just doesn't make any sense, on any level to think that Klopp would say that. If I was Edwards i'd be saying 'well work with what you have got' and save the money.  

The Heinze wasn't as clear cut as they won't sell to us - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6900545.stm

But we'll see - personally I think it is a moot point, we'll get VVD. 

Gini came out of nowhere. Salah did not. We were linked with Salah back in January. The rumour about the player from Rennes this morning has already been rubbished by the club by the way.

You keep mentioning this 60 mill. We haven't even made a single bid for VVD as of yet. It's the media who have been saying that was the sort of fee Southampton would be looking at. Which has now risen to 70 mill. And there has been no indication as of yet the club are prepared to pay that amount for him.

Also, Klopp isn't a cheque book manager, he is more interested in coaching than signing players. He has said that on more than one occasion. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'd be happy enough to stick with what he's got if we can't get VVD.

Oh and the Heinze saga seems pretty clear cut to me. We wanted him. Ferguson refused to sell to us. We took it to court to try and force the issue. We lost. End of.

Oh and I think all of us hope we get VVD in the end.

• Upvote 1

If the media were saying £60m was the sort of fee southampton were looking at and the media are now saying £70m, what does that prove? Nothing, just media speculation.

There's also talk of chelsea entering the bidding and prepared to pay upto £50m. southampton may very well want to rinse us in any deal but I dont think they'll be successful in rinsing us for an extra £20m.

Gini came out of nowhere. Salah did not. We were linked with Salah back in January. The rumour about the player from Rennes this morning has already been rubbished by the club by the way.

You keep mentioning this 60 mill. We haven't even made a single bid for VVD as of yet. It's the media who have been saying that was the sort of fee Southampton would be looking at. Which has now risen to 70 mill. And there has been no indication as of yet the club are prepared to pay that amount for him.

Also, Klopp isn't a cheque book manager, he is more interested in coaching than signing players. He has said that on more than one occasion. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'd be happy enough to stick with what he's got if we can't get VVD.

Oh and the Heinze saga seems pretty clear cut to me. We wanted him. Ferguson refused to sell to us. We took it to court to try and force the issue. We lost. End of.

Oh and I think all of us hope we get VVD in the end.

Happy to stick with what we have got?

How can Klopp turn a 32 year old Klavan into a player good enough to play centre half for us in the european cup or get next to no top level experience Joe Gomez up to that level this season?

1 injury to Matip or Lovren as it stands and those are our options.....I find it nearly impossible to believe we could genuinely go with that and be ok with it.

Happy to stick with what we have got?

How can Klopp turn a 32 year old Klavan into a player good enough to play centre half for us in the european cup or get next to no top level experience Joe Gomez up to that level this season?

1 injury to Matip or Lovren as it stands and those are our options.....I find it nearly impossible to believe we could genuinely go with that and be ok with it.

Let me make this perfectly clear, I think we need another CB. To go into next season without one would be pretty foolish in my opinion. But I'm not Jurgen Klopp. And I believe he sees things differently to most. I believe he has set his mind on VVD and if we can't get him, the alternatives in his eyes are so far behind in terms of quality, he'd rather not bother.

Oh and Klavan may be past coaching into a better player but, Klopp will most definitely believe he has the ability to take Joe Gomez to the next level. 100% he'll believe that.

• Upvote 1

As has already been mentioned. If they do make a bid then it will be because VVD's agent has indicated they would accept. They won't just do it blindly.

That's not quite how it worked out with Naby Keita.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The first journalist to write a puff piece next summer about how we're planning to get all our business done early needs to be shot as an example to all the others. It's the only way they'll learn.

More like the first one who mentions the manager will be heavily backed and that we'll have a 200mill+ warchest to spend should be shot. And I'm calling it now, that journo will be Paul Joyce.