You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Means fuck all IF van Dijk sticks to his guns about only wanting to come here.

In a way I hope chelsea stick a bid in, southampton accept it and big Virg says fuck off, Im only going to Liverpool!

To stick to his guns he will need to be absolutely certain that we can get the deal over the line and that the relationship with Southampton is good enough to get it done as there is no way he can stay there.

He might have a preference for Liverpool, but I bet he would go anywhere else decent if push comes to shove.

I reckon Southampton will tell him that they will not stand in his way if he goes elsewhere, but make it fucking awkward if he still insists on LFC

Took a quick scan of the Southampton fans forum, they appear resigned to his going, a lot want rid now, to anyone except Liverpool.

Southampton have their 'out' if they need it, which they don't. They don't want to sell to a team that caused the players agitation in the first place by tapping him up, therefore they will sell to Chelsea. This is perfect for Southampton, they cash in on a player they wanted to cash in on but it's not their fault as he caused it all. 

I've just stuck a bet on him going to Chelsea at 7/1 so he isn't going to them. 

Hmmm - may open up a can of worms though. Yes we want to sell you to Chelsea, no we won't sell you to a team offering exactly the same terms! 

Why will it open a can of worms mate? If Southampton don't want to sell to us, they are perfectly entitled to reject any bid they want for their player. We just have to hope VVD stands firm and says it's LFC or nobody else, should Chelsea make a bid. Now putting my pessimistic head on, you could argue if that happens and Chelsea do make a bid this late in the day, it could be an indication that they have been told there has been a change of heart in the VVD camp and that he would actually be open to a move to Chelsea.

If Chelsea agree a fee of £55m and we agree to match it, can Southampton stop us from signing him? 

No, all they can do is refuse to sell the player.

He can turn Chelsea down and say he only wants to sign for us.  In which case, SFC have to choose to take our £55m and get on with their lives, or keep him and risk a very unhealthy situation from escalating. 

It might be that they dig their heels in, and both our bids sit on the table for the next week or so, and then VVD says "fuck it, I just want out of this club now, I'll take the Chelsea offer".

Could happen.  The problem won't be of our making per se, it'll be because Southampton are acting like cunts.  The problem for Southampton is that this bad relationship between the clubs will impact on them.  So when they buy their next top player from Celtic they will say to them "ok we're a stepping stone for any big club, except Liverpool".  Which is fine, we'll just make sure we out-bid them on any signing they want to make from Celtic, cut-out the middle man.

Why will it open a can of worms mate? If Southampton don't want to sell to us, they are perfectly entitled to reject any bid they want for their player. We just have to hope VVD stands firm and says it's LFC or nobody else, should Chelsea make a bid. Now putting my pessimistic head on, you could argue if that happens and Chelsea do make a bid this late in the day, it could be an indication that they have been told there has been a change of heart in the VVD camp and that he would actually be open to a move to Chelsea.

Aye - although if that was the case, I would expect us to be looking elsewhere! 

Not sure how absolute anyone can be over the details since it has never happened before! Would it not be a restraint of trade - yes we agree to sell, but not to them cos we don't like them! 

Fuck it. It'll all come out in the wash! 

Aye - although if that was the case, I would expect us to be looking elsewhere! 

Not sure how absolute anyone can be over the details since it has never happened before! Would it not be a restraint of trade - yes we agree to sell, but not to them cos we don't like them! 

Fuck it. It'll all come out in the wash! 

We don't have any other alternatives mate. It's VVD or nobody else.

And no it wouldn't. VVD is Southampton's player. He is under contract to them. They can refuse to sell whoever they like.

Cast your mind back to when we wanted to sign Gabriel Heinze from Man Utd. Did we get our man? No we did not. He ended up at Real Madrid because Utd refused to sell him to us. We even took it to court and lost.

If you had spent a wonderful weekend in Blackpool with Klopp why the fuck would you want to join Chelsea... Plenty more doughnuts and rides on the donkeys if you join us Virgil.. you know it makes sense

Who needs rollercoasters in Blackpool when our club is one. 

did you know there were plans to build a massive rollercoaster through Birkenhead, would have been the only rollercoaster in existence were the screams were on the straights. 

• Upvote 1

We don't have any other alternatives mate. It's VVD or nobody else.

I suspect that's not true. It makes sense to say that publicly so that VVD knows we are holding out for him, but if he goes elsewhere then you would have thought we'd have a plan B.

.......although it is us, so maybe not.....

If they push him to Chelsea, Southampton have to hope VVD caves in the end, and also that Chelsea don't grow impatient and look elsewhere.

If VVD waits for us, he has to hope we don't similarly end up accepting Southampton's stance and look elsewhere, and also that Chelsea or someone else remains interested as a plan B escape route.

If we wait for VVD, then we have to hope he continues to only favour a move to us, and also that Chelsea grow impatient, and that Southampton's stance softens.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 5

If you had spent a wonderful weekend in Blackpool with Klopp why the fuck would you want to join Chelsea... Plenty more doughnuts and rides on the donkeys if you join us Virgil.. you know it makes sense

More trophies and more money would definitely trump Klopp hugs

If the Chelsea interest is real then we need to throw a bid in before they do, if we only bid in reaction to Chelsea bidding it must put doubt in the players mind that we would of left it if Chelsea didn't bid, whats the harm in throwing a bid in even if they reject it, at least VVD would know we want him and are willing to bid for him. Then when the Chelsea bid comes in and we match it at least he knows it is because we want him.