You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

So, no further action expected against us from the premier league regarding the Van Dijk case. Hopefully, that's just the signal we were waiting for to go back all in for him.

Anfield HQ @AnfieldHQ

Jurgen Klopp still wants to sign Van Dijk, but has been told by his employers that another move for him is unrealistic. (@MattHughesTimes)

Anfield HQ @AnfieldHQ

During talks between the clubs Southampton made it clear that they would not sell Van Dijk to Liverpool at any price. (@MattHughesTimes)

Anfield HQ @AnfieldHQ

In addition, FSG values its reputation for probity and does not want to be seen to be going back on its word. (@MattHughesTimes)

It's not the main man P-Joyce so maybe not accurate, but still... Not looking good.

I know henry and werner only turn up once a season , but there going to have to turn up with grant and phil next year after all the talk of a £200 million pound window.

If you cant back the manager. now when do you.

We dont want to spend on vvd so we will get you another alberto moreno im sure it wont be a mistake...... aye whatever...

Anfield HQ @AnfieldHQ

Jurgen Klopp still wants to sign Van Dijk, but has been told by his employers that another move for him is unrealistic. (@MattHughesTimes)

Anfield HQ @AnfieldHQ

During talks between the clubs Southampton made it clear that they would not sell Van Dijk to Liverpool at any price. (@MattHughesTimes)

Anfield HQ @AnfieldHQ

In addition, FSG values its reputation for probity and does not want to be seen to be going back on its word. (@MattHughesTimes)

It's not the main man P-Joyce so maybe not accurate, but still... Not looking good.

Werner and Henry must have been bored of the Red Sox for a couple of hours and wanted to speak to a journo over here.

Hold on how can you value probity, when youve tapped up a player BEHIND THE OTHER TEAMS BACK............... you massive helmets.

If i was Naby Keita now.. id keep my head down and say nothing as Wener edwards and co are likely to leave him hanging by a thread and hated by every person in leipzig. What a shower we are run by.

I have no fucking clue where they fetched the idea that they have a reputation for probity. The only reputation they have that I'm aware of is that of being total pussies, as evidenced by the rapidity which which they dropped their pants and got all apologetic over the fiascoes that were the Dempsey, Suarez, ticket rise, Sakho and now VVD episodes. 

Klopp must be absolutely infuriated given the efforts he must have put in to convince Van Dijk to move here, even though he won't admit it in public. Doubt he anticipated all this when he mentioned he knew what he would be getting a few weeks ago. It seems pretty obvious that he was not consulted regarding the withdrawal of our interest in VVD statement, given how quickly the apology was released following Southampton's complaints and as seemed to be confirmed by subsequent media reports.

It's also pretty obvious that Klopp has eyes only for Van Dijk. I reckon he knows exactly what missing out on Van Dijk would entail. It's not just that he would be the perfect centre-back signing for us, but there's the obvious risk of him heading to Chelsea or City. Instead, we would have to find a back-up that would probably only be 80-85% the player Van Dijk, and which would leave us trailing even further behind teams that we are already behind. The same approach that has left us consistently lagging behind these teams.

I'll be surprised if we spend anything at all net this window or if it is any more than about 20m.

They'll get reasonable money from Sakho, Bert Moron, Markovic and Sturridge and a few other fringe players...Klopp will get that to spend taking off what he has already spent on Salah.

We'll talk about how we just couldn't get deals done for the players we wanted as clubs don't want to or need to sell blah blah blah

If the club have no intention of meeting the likely asking prices, they probably shouldn't have leaked to all and sundry that they were interested in van Dijk and Keita.

Makes them look like they are trying and enough people fall for that shite 'not their fault the prices are so high, clubs don't need to sell' etc...

If the club have no intention of meeting the likely asking prices, they probably shouldn't have leaked to all and sundry that they were interested in van Dijk and Keita.

Given the Keita price has jumped from 30 to 50 to 80 and the Van Dijk price has gone from 40 to 50 to 70 then it probably fair enough.

Makes them look like they are trying and enough people fall for that shite 'not their fault the prices are so high, clubs don't need to sell' etc...

If any of us were given 150 million to spend a month or so back how many would have spent it all on Keita and VvD?

Granted now everyone would because they're obviously worth it and it's symptomatic of the reluctance to just put the money down and pay whats needed, but really, deep down, nobody would have blown that much on those two.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Unless you believe its a ploy to make fans think they are prepared to spend.

I don't think that though. No siree.

Klopp must be absolutely infuriated given the efforts he must have put in to convince Van Dijk to move here, even though he won't admit it in public.

He's not exactly blameless though is he. Surely he knew that meeting VVD was against the rules. Contact via an agent is one thing, a face to face chat without the clubs permission in an attempt to get him cheaper is a pisstake.

Southampton aren't going to sell him to us and I'm not sure that has sunk in yet with our management and fan base.

• Upvote 1

If any of us were given 150 million to spend a month or so back how many would have spent it all on Keita and VvD?

Granted now everyone would because they're obviously worth it and it's symptomatic of the reluctance to just put the money down and pay whats needed, but really, deep down, nobody would have blown that much on those two.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't advocate spending it all on those two now - but I still don't trust that FSG were ever really in for them (and by that I mean really wanting to sign them, hence the clusterfuck over VVD) or that they will address the holes in our squad this window.

I'll be glad to say I was wrong if and when they do.

• Upvote 1

Given the Keita price has jumped from 30 to 50 to 80 and the Van Dijk price has gone from 40 to 50 to 70 then it probably fair enough.

Again, I don't think the club's constant leaking of information can be separated from the selling clubs' justified position of playing hardball. Didn't a few journalists - completely coincidentally of course - state a few weeks back that the club intended breaking all records in terms of transfer outgoings this summer? How did they expect that one to play out when they sat down with other clubs to negotiate?

No they haven't.

Where did the first price come from in each situation?

The fucking club telling journos we're after X player and this much will get them.

• Upvote 2