You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Is VVD gonna look as effective when he is asked to defend in a team that isn't camped in its own half with 9 men behind the ball most of the time?

He is gonna face exactly what our existing centre halves face and that is being on the half way line watching our useless full backs lose the ball high up and chasing back as the ball is smashed long into the space they have vacated or straight at him as runners bear down on him with zero protection in front of him.....a totally different game.

Carra spoke recently about how exposed he felt defending in our set up in that game in Australia.

Wouldn't worry about that one bit personally. If there's one centre-back out there who should thrive in a high defensive line playing team, it would be Van Dijk. He has the perfect skill set for that. As it's been mentioned already, he's ridiculously quick for a centre-back. But, he's also a ridiculously good footballer. I know some will say it's only the scottish league but even Neuer is not saving these free-kicks. He's one the most complete centre-backs I've seen and would be perfect for a possession playing team.

Keita isn't a holding player. If we get him, we'd still alternate that role between Hendo and Can.

Interesting thoughts on the defensive mid situation here...

"At Liverpool, there is no shortage of midfielders but a position that is always cropping up in conversation is CDM. With Jordan Henderson almost always injured Emre Can and Lucas Leiva are our two most defensive midfielders.

Many are speculating that Lucas’ 10 years on Merseyside are drawing to a close with links of a reunion with Rafa Benitez at Newcastle having surfaced recently. A return to Brazil has also been touted but the likes of former club Gremio will struggle to meet Lucas’ wage demands.

Should he move away from the club this summer then Liverpool are left vulnerable in this position.

Emre Can shined as the season drew to a close but our lack of depth meant he had to play through injuries for a big chunk of the season. Additionally, his desire to strive forwards would be better supported with another CDM covering the back 4.

When Lallana and Wijnaldum are his midfield neighbours this is an exposed area which sees teams counter effectively. This is largely due to that missing anchor who can slow the play down while everyone else gets back.

Keita has been a fan favourite rumour this summer although RB Leipzig insist they want to keep hold of their squad. Referred to as the “African Deco,” I would definitely welcome him on board. If what Leipzig are saying is true then it could be time to look elsewhere.

The fact Keita is African is my only reservation. When the AFCON comes knocking in 2 seasons we need to make sure we aren’t going to have the foundations of our squad ripped away. We need to avoid a repeat of January 2017.

I would love for Captain Jordan Henderson to be fit all the time but it just doesn’t look like it’s written in the stars. This position has to be addressed and it has to be addressed now. Let’s stop messing around and let’s get pen to paper"

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2017/06/26/what-do-liverpool-need-to-address-in-the-transfer-market/

It's stupid amounts of money but it's almost worth it because both Man City and Chelsea wanted him, we also had to apologise to Southampton for tapping him up. If we got him anyway it's probably worth a few extra mill just for the swag.

They didn't want him that badly though, certainly in City's case. Remains to be seen with Chelsea.

If we spend 60 million on him and finish behind City and Chelsea at least we can comfort ourselves with the fact he choo choo chose us.

Exactly.

How much difference would it have made to Ralph to get a blowjob from Lisa, London 2012 style?

He'd have been like Marty McFly's dad when he got to cop off with his mum and finallly had the balls to put Biff in his place.

You'd like us to remain the sad put upon nerd. Learn from popular culture, it's there for a reason .

• Upvote 1

I'd like us to sign him, I'd prefer him to be cheaper and think we can get a player with similar production for less but he's still up there in terms of pl based defenders.

70 million here and 80 million there are the signing you make when you're running out of things to spend your money on not when you're still building.

Every Southampton fan knew that Van Dijk was hugely likely to leave this summer especially since the January transfer window when he was photographed in a city shirt. I know a few saints fans that were actually made up when he got injured as it would keep him out of the shop window. The whispers going around were all £50m in the summer.

Seemed like we became the player's chosen suitors with Chelsea, man city not interested and with reports stating 'Van Dijk tells Liverpool he wants to join them'. Giving us the bargaining power with a want away player, when Southampton wanted a bidding war. Southampton's accusations of tapping up were then just to restore bargaining power and have the ball back in their court. I honestly believe the apology and supposed withdrawing of interest was calling Southampton's bluff as now they have a player that wants to leave and nobody to buy him. For the record, I do not believe Chelsea's genuine interest as the report of them wanting the player came out of Italy in order to turn the hand of Napoli in Chelsea's interest in Koulibaly.

Southampton paint the image of any player leaving to be the bad guy and that the club was forced to sell.  However the reality is that the club have to sell players in order to buy players however blaming the player detracts from negative attention from the boardroom and owners. The sale of Van Dijk will provide funds for many saints signings this summer with it possible that they would look at bringing in two centre backs as they did not replace Jose Fonte in January and with no replacement lined up to come in when the season finished, which I think shows the precarious situation Southampton are in.

Needing to sign potentially two centre backs would likely mean Southampton would have to act somewhat quick with a sale of Van Dijk. We are right to hold back from bids or interest as I do not think Southampton can just name a price. The longer this goes on the stronger we will be in talks. Van Dijk has stripped anything relating to Southampton from twitter and looks unlikely to be willing to stay at st marys. 70m is crazy money and I can't see any other team wanting to sign a player for that much when the player would rather be at Liverpool. I genuinely think the longer we leave this, the chance we get the player for what we want to pay is increasingly likely. No way will Southampton go into the start of the season with none of their own signings and also a Van Dijk that won't commit.

• Upvote 4

Good post Ashberry. I think we wanted to pay around 50M and they wanted a bidding war, and since that hasn't materialized they've put a 70M price on his head. 

I suspect a deal will be done somewhere in the middle, for 60M. It's a lot, but we should do it as he's the perfect defender for the way we play. People name other defenders on here, and even if we could get them, I doubt Chiellini or Bonucci would look all that in our team. Or at least, they'd be less suited to the way we play than VVD is. 

VVD is the player we need. The fee is high but it will be offset by what we receive for Sakho, and we should also bear in mind Matip was free. 

• Upvote 5

Good post Ashberry. I think we wanted to pay around 50M and they wanted a bidding war, and since that hasn't materialized they've put a 70M price on his head.

I suspect a deal will be done somewhere in the middle, for 60M. It's a lot, but we should do it as he's the perfect defender for the way we play. People name other defenders on here, and even if we could get them, I doubt Chiellini or Bonucci would look all that in our team. Or at least, they'd be less suited to the way we play than VVD is.

VVD is the player we need. The fee is high but it will be offset by what we receive for Sakho, and we should also bear in mind Matip was free.

Another spot on post from the rev