You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

We might be trying to use Sakho as a part-ex, we don't know. Usually players don't want to be used in a part ex as it makes them feel small, so it all depends on the options they have open to them. 

If Sakho is faced with Southampton or Crystal Palace, then Southampton are a bit better and it's not a bad move for him. We could also sweeten the deal a little to make sure we get VVD. 

If Sakho has better options than Southampton, then he won't be concerned about helping us, as we are letting him go. 

Simply manage the club for a few years then scour South America in particular Argentina for young gems that will cost buttons. Try Mexico and Eastern Europe too, the ones who don't make it will be sold at a huge profit and the others will be world class and worth 100m each.

I must stress you need your Sugar Daddy and Visa and Loan restrictions on or off whichever suits.

That's what i don't understand about our scouts, its not fucking hard. If they scouted Argentina, there's a young lad at Boca, fast, can play on either side of a striker, he can be got for 6m, cast the net over to Mexico, Pachuca, a young lad by the name of Hirving Lozano can be had for 7m. He's brilliant. Over to Brazil, Santos, Thiago Maia, brilliant CM, 12m. 25m on 3 World Class players, there is bargains to be had out there.

That's what i don't understand about our scouts, its not fucking hard. If they scouted Argentina, there's a young lad at Boca, fast, can play on either side of a striker, he can be got for 6m, cast the net over to Mexico, Pachuca, a young lad by the name of Hirving Lozano can be had for 7m. He's brilliant. Over to Brazil, Santos, Thiago Maia, brilliant CM, 12m. 25m on 3 World Class players, there is bargains to be had out there.

Your FM Database may be a little out of date Lozano went to PSV earlier this month.

We might be trying to use Sakho as a part-ex, we don't know. Usually players don't want to be used in a part ex as it makes them feel small, so it all depends on the options they have open to them. 

If Sakho is faced with Southampton or Crystal Palace, then Southampton are a bit better and it's not a bad move for him. We could also sweeten the deal a little to make sure we get VVD. 

If Sakho has better options than Southampton, then he won't be concerned about helping us, as we are letting him go. 

You know what else makes Sakho feel small? Fat burners, that's what.

• Upvote 1

It's all been said before, but I won't let that stop me!

For a team like Liverpool, we are caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to young talent. A truly irresistible talent, like a young Fowler or a young Owen, is going to force their way in now matter what. It's just the way it is. The cream rises to the top, and all that. 

But the usual pattern is that most young talent is not as irresistible, so what do you do then? Well, if you are a low/mid Premier League team you have a bit more room to take a chance. It's a reasonable part of your overall strategy to grow a few prospects and sell them on. Likewise, even if they are not exactly kids any more, you can buy players from lesser leagues in the hope that they will blossom, like Southampton buying Mane from Salzburg, or VVD from Celtic. 

For a team like Liverpool it's not that simple. Yes, good scouting must come into it, but we are not going to be giving as much of a chance to players who are maybe/maybe not. We are not going to play players for too many games on the premise, "Let's see what we've got here then." 

Gruijic was mentioned above. What's to say that lad won't become world class? But if we don't sign a top midfielder this summer (and thus make Grujic's prospects that much harder at Liverpool) most of us will be up in arms. We need Keita... bwaaak....

And Joe Gomez might not be a great example as the poor lad had a bad injury, but before his injury he looked so good. Perhaps, after coming back slowly and building up his strength and fitness, a smashing player is about to emerge. But again, if we don't sign a top central defender this summer, most of us will be up in arms, We need Van Dijk, not some kid... bwaaak...

As for lesser heralded players, what about Zielinski, when we were first linked with him. Who's that? Bwaaak... And he doesn't cost enough... bwaaak 

Tricky business this transfer malarkey. 

My tuppence worth is we need good scouting allied with loose purse strings. We're at that stage where we could establish ourselves firmly in the top four and look upwards, but if we shrink back there will be other teams on hand to take what we want. 

• Upvote 1

You know what else makes Sakho feel small? Fat burners, that's what.

Listening to 5Live's daily football podcast from Friday;

Early in they mention VVD, how good a season he's had and the number of top clubs interested in him. They also talk about the move here blowing up.

AND YET, when they interview de Boer about his brother going to Palace they say it looks as though VVD is going to Liverpool.

Piss poor journalism yet again, or is it accepted he's still coming, but everyone wants the scandal to die down first?

I can't see Southampton keeping a player that doesn't want to stay.

Looks like the supposed Chelsea bid was bullshit.

Reckon he will sign for us for £65m.

Really don't give a shit about transfer fees. It's more important that Klopp gets the players that he asks for.

Yes we can probably get much better value elsewhere, but defence is so vital given how shit our defence has been post Rafa that he's the best option for us.

I reckon the whole Chelsea 60ml is so they can put out they charged us a extra 5ml if we do a deal at 65ml. They have mastered making the players out to be cunts when they leave and that there hands were forced

Southampton have got themselves into a right mess over this  The Board there are getting stick from the fans for selling their best players and Liverpool are public enemy No 1 for tapping their player up. The only real deal on the table is our £60m as VVD doesn't want to go to the Chavs and they can't force him to agree, Common sense says take our money and jog on but I suspect its an impasse that may take until January to resolve,

I've got little sympathy for Southampton. They seem to have knowingly watched us tapping up their player and sat on that info for a while, hopeful it'd add one more club to the bidding war. The leak fucked it all up, and they hadn't accounted for VVD being so keen to come here, but I've little doubt there'd be evidence that Chelsea and perhaps City both made contact in some manner that would breach the regulations. We were just dumb enough to get caught.

I reckon we have to go back for him, partly because he was Klopp's primary target and FSG want to be seen to back him, and also because if we get a reputation for unsettling players and then leaving them in the lurch it could be hard to sign others.

60M for VVD is pushing it imo. He might be the best CD in the PL, but if we can sign someone that is 80-90 % as good as VVD for 25-35M I'd rather see us do that deal. We're not really a club that can afford spunking out 60M for a CD. Its just too much money for a central defender. Lets spend the left-over money on a decent central midfielder - or striker - instead.

60M for VVD is pushing it imo. He might be the best CD in the PL, but if we can sign someone that is 80-90 % as good as VVD for 25-35M I'd rather see us do that deal. We're not really a club that can afford spunking out 60M for a CD. Its just too much money for a central defender. Lets spend the left-over money on a decent central midfielder - or striker - instead.

Can see your point but getting the very best cd might make us a title contender rather than thinking of top 4. Top class defenders are especially important the way we play.