You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Great news....

Well done, Val Gaal.

VVD plan revealed by Van Gaal.

Netherlands manager Louis van Gaal has announced Virgil van Dijk will participate in Friday's UEFA Nations League game with Belgium before going on holday.

The Dutch defender played in his 51st game of the season for the Reds during Saturday's final in Paris and the former Manchester United boss confirmed he will only feature in one of the four Nations League fixtures on the horizon.

"Virgil van Dijk will play the game vs Belgium and then I will send him on holiday," said Van Gaal.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Indeed

I don't think we appreciate him enough. 

I'm not sure who you are speaking on behalf of, but he was the highest paid player at the club, and was the reason we weren't prepared to offer Salah what he wanted.

He gets his named chanted every single game, and a few times to boot. Our other centre backs don't even have songs.

A majority of Reds put him in their greatest ever Liverpool team.

And practically every man (and woman, and others) and his (her or their) dog picks him first in any world eleven, no matter who they support.

10 minutes ago, m0e said:

I'm not sure who you are speaking on behalf of, but he was the highest paid player at the club, and was the reason we weren't prepared to offer Salah what he wanted.

He gets his named chanted every single game, and a few times to boot. Our other centre backs don't even have songs.

A majority of Reds put him in their greatest ever Liverpool team.

And practically every man (and woman, and others) and his (her or their) dog picks him first in any world eleven, no matter who they support.

How many wanks have you had over him today? 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Could he still be hampered by the injury, in terms of quick movements and changes of direction etc? I'm not sure why that would impact his ability to close the space in front of Sancho last night (and not just stand right in Allison's eye line by the way) but there has to be a reason for that kind of decision making?

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

After everything he's done, he's allowed one brain fart. 

Learn from it. Shit it out. Go again.

Well it's not one, but I get your point. The pen against Fulham was poor defending. The goal v palace he seemed not to run flat out, maybe expecting the offside. Then that performance (not just the goal) last night. I think he looks a bit casual in his approach and no matter what he's done before, he needs to knock it in the head and get back on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well it's not one, but I get your point. The pen against Fulham was poor defending. The goal v palace he seemed not to run flat out, maybe expecting the offside. Then that performance (not just the goal) last night. I think he looks a bit casual in his approach and no matter what he's done before, he needs to knock it in the head and get back on it. 

Yep. He’s off his usual level. Same can be said for the whole team. 

3 hours ago, Moo said:

Could he still be hampered by the injury, in terms of quick movements and changes of direction etc? I'm not sure why that would impact his ability to close the space in front of Sancho last night (and not just stand right in Allison's eye line by the way) but there has to be a reason for that kind of decision making?

That last night has nothing to do with injury. It's him not being arsed and taking his reactive defending style to a whole new extreme. He's just hoping Sancho will somehow shoot directly at him so he doesn't have to do anything. 

Nowt wrong with him, his form was fine last season after his injury, he's out of form a bit and getting zero protection from the midfield. 

There aren't many good defenders in this squad, and by that I mean natural blockers. You usually get one or two in midfields who like throwing a tackle in, we've only got Fabinho, our fullbacks aren't particularly great defenders either - especially Trent, they're better going forward. 

It's Virg or bust, with honourable mention for Matip. Konate has real potential though. 

• Upvote 1

Virgil has played every vaguely important game that we've had since his return from injury. He must be jaded, and he'll be playing in the World Cup too. We probably need to rotate him a bit more when Konate and Matip return. 

Poor from him on Monday, but he's earned the right to the benefit of the doubt in terms of his flat start to the season being a temporary blip. 

Personally, I thought it was great that he was getting a bollocking from Milner, and I'd feel the same if the roles were reversed. It'd be worse if they didn't care. 

• Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

“Personally, I thought it was great that he was getting a bollocking from Milner, and I'd feel the same if the roles were reversed. It'd be worse if they didn't care.”

Absolutely this. Milner might not be as quick as he was but he was spot on calling Virgil out. Shows that Virgil knew Milner was right as he didn’t disagree at any point, also shows the young players that nobody is exempt from a bollocking.

Noticed that Trent was strolling back as Sancho got the ball, but he probably thought “Virge has got him”. 
Be interesting to see how they all react from now on.

18 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Absolutely this. Milner might not be as quick as he was but he was spot on calling Virgil out. Shows that Virgil knew Milner was right as he didn’t disagree at any point, also shows the young players that nobody is exempt from a bollocking.

Noticed that Trent was strolling back as Sancho got the ball, but he probably thought “Virge has got him”. 
Be interesting to see how they all react from now on.

It's Trent I am more worried about. VVD has had all and sundry alongside him while Trent has been unopposed and still having brain farts after the CL final. Why does Rashford often seem to get the better of him?

• Upvote 1

Virgil knows he fucked up on the first manc goal. You can see his reaction to Milner who's giving him the bollocking. Virgil isnt being a cryarse and having a go back at Milner. But the boy is showing a bit of poor form for the first time in 4 years and, he isnt the only one in the team who isnt on blob.

• Upvote 1

He's world-class and the best defender in Europe, he's had a few dodgy games this season but so has everyone to be fair the defense is getting zero protection from midfield (in fact the attack is getting zero from midfield as well) I think the obvious change in Trent's position (he seems to be playing as an inverted wing back to coin a Footy manager phrase) he's leaving big gaps in behind could VVD be conscious of this and maybe anticipating having to cover? either way, he looks the type of fella to take his arse kicking and come back stronger starting today, please.

• Upvote 1