You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

If we sold Gomez, what are we looking at, £30m possibly?  Taking into account his injuries, as any club would do, would anyone give us more than that?  

Whereas if we kept him and treated him as 4th choice, he wouldn't be forced to play so much, perhaps protecting him from big injuries.  However, if we did that, it would mean ditching Matip, as we can't have two injury-prone CBs as primary back-up.  Even Virgil is a risk, certainly for the next 12 months.  

My roster

Virgil

?

?

Gomez

Phillips

It could be that Kabak gets a deal, lots of unknowns at this point about him. 

29 minutes ago, Chris said:

There are an awful lot of assumptions we're gonna be in the Champions League final! Pretty bold for a team that's recently been had off by Burnley, Brighton and Everton at home. 

Yeah, but we beat Fulham.  

Oh, hang on....

1 hour ago, Chris said:

There are an awful lot of assumptions we're gonna be in the Champions League final! Pretty bold for a team that's recently been had off by Burnley, Brighton and Everton at home. 

Yeah we havent seen much to suggest we still aren't completely shite.

We do have magic in this tournament though.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah we havent seen much to suggest we still aren't completely shite.

We do have magic in this tournament though.

We do. Well, Anfield does. I'd give us as good a shot as anyone if the fans were in. As far as we know none of the games will even be played at Anfield. I do think we'll beat Madrid though because they're fucking shit.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Matip & Gomez have long contracts and are going nowhere.  We'll get Kabak if we are lucky.

Yep. Although, I think it's obvious we're signing Kabak because he'll be relatively cheap and will have had half a season to get acclimated. That's why I don't really understand the Konate stuff and the other CB links for this summer.

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Matip & Gomez have long contracts and are going nowhere.  We'll get Kabak if we are lucky.

Matip is selling age.  We just got burned by Gini, and keeping Matip is a big financial risk considering we don't know about Gomez and Virgil. We could easily be in the same position as now next season for 3 months. 

8 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Matip is selling age.  We just got burned by Gini, and keeping Matip is a big financial risk considering we don't know about Gomez and Virgil. We could easily be in the same position as now next season for 3 months. 

He's selling age, but he has a long contract that we gave him pretty recently. No matter what we may think, that means you'd think the plan is to keep him. Lovren had a year left and Gini's is running out. Those situations were/are more likely to lead to a sale.

42 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yep. Although, I think it's obvious we're signing Kabak because he'll be relatively cheap and will have had half a season to get acclimated. That's why I don't really understand the Konate stuff and the other CB links for this summer.

Perhaps matip himself has had enough of putting himself through it here and is happy to take a lower wage to play at a lower level. Dare I say he goes in the opposite direction to kabak and helps bring them back up? Just thinking out loud really, but he must be at his wits end here. 

54 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Perhaps matip himself has had enough of putting himself through it here and is happy to take a lower wage to play at a lower level. Dare I say he goes in the opposite direction to kabak and helps bring them back up? Just thinking out loud really, but he must be at his wits end here. 

At the end of his contract, maybe that's how see things, but not now surely.

13 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

At the end of his contract, maybe that's how see things, but not now surely.

Depends if he thinks the injuries he's getting are down to how intense and tough it is to play for klopp and in England. I'm not saying it's the case. I just think there's a chance after years of back to back injuries he's just had enough. A little like agger a few years back. 

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, agree that the fact he’ll have been blooded in makes it more likely we’ll keep him, once his performances remain decent. It’s an investment in time and tactical drilling as much as money, and he’s unlikely to be higher than fourth choice. 

On 21/03/2021 at 18:32, dockers_strike said:

I remember Jocky being out for something like 6 or 8 weeks back in 88 and the King selected him to play in the FA Cup semi final against Forest at that shithole of a ground. Clearly it wasnt as serious an injury as Virgil's but it caught everyone by surprise and was a massive lift for the fans to see him warming up before the kick off.

Not sure whether Virgil would be risked unless he'd had a couple of games to play in first given his injury though.

The year, on that awful day, Hansen lined up in the semi final after being out for 9 months. He was injured pre-season and only played a reserve game the week of the semi final. Different times but it is possible 

22 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

he must be at his wits end here. 

Why? -- He is paid more here than he ever could have dreamed of making 6 years ago, more than he ever could get now at another club and he is on the books for another three years.

TBH - hitting the stationary bike a few hours a day is pretty sweet. And I don't think a broken collarbone has much to do with training.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why? -- He is paid more here than he ever could have dreamed of making 6 years ago, more than he ever could get now at another club and he is on the books for another three years.

TBH - hitting the stationary bike a few hours a day is pretty sweet. And I don't think a broken collarbone has much to do with training.

That depends if he likes to play football. I'm pretty sure most of them do. Obviously money comes into it (and so it should), but I can't imagine many players like being a footballer and just break down almost every time they play. 

19 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

it might help if he made the bench and they didn't make this claim after he got the run around off ben woodburn! 

You mean the Ben Woodburn that is going to safe us millions, whose way to the first team we don't want to block? 

• Upvote 1

I think the rehab is so good these days that Virgil will be absolutely fine and completely regain his level. Just off top of my head players like Sane, Ings, Calum Wilson, Laporte, Depay, Ibrahimovic all regained top level form and in some cases surpassed previous standards. Even pereira at Leicester looks as good as new to me and he’s a small agile player. 

29 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I think the rehab is so good these days that Virgil will be absolutely fine and completely regain his level. Just off top of my head players like Sane, Ings, Calum Wilson, Laporte, Depay, Ibrahimovic all regained top level form and in some cases surpassed previous standards. Even pereira at Leicester looks as good as new to me and he’s a small agile player. 

I'm not sure some of your references there stand up to too much scrutiny. Sane might be doing ok in Germany, but you can't compare that to here. Ings has done ok, I'll give you that. Wilson? Come on he was never an even close to an elite level player. Laporte went from being the 2nd best centre back in the league to behind John Stones. Depay? Sure he's playing, but at what level? Ibrahimovic? Are you talking about the injury he got at the mancs? 

VVD was the best centre back in the world. There's nobody on your list who compares to that. 

Medicine is great and all that, but there's loads and loads of players who are never the same after an ACL. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not sure some of your references there stand up to too much scrutiny. Sane might be doing ok in Germany, but you can't compare that to here. Ings has done ok, I'll give you that. Wilson? Come on he was never an even close to an elite level player. Laporte went from being the 2nd best centre back in the league to behind John Stones. Depay? Sure he's playing, but at what level? Ibrahimovic? Are you talking about the injury he got at the mancs? 

VVD was the best centre back in the world. There's nobody on your list who compares to that. 

Medicine is great and all that, but there's loads and loads of players who are never the same after an ACL. 

I take your point but luckily CB is probably the only position where you can lose a little bit of pace and still be top class. I bet Virgil only sprints a couple of times most games.  Anyway fingers crossed.