You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Reports have gone from £35m in April to £50m in May to £70m in June. He's not played a fucking game!

No way anyone pays £70m for him this year or next. He's really good, that league cup game against us he was genuinely brilliant but £70m for a centre back doesn't happen.

Yeah, but a big part of that was Southampton just catching up to where the market really was this summer.  I'm sure if we'd offered £45m for him in January they would have taken it and laughed at us, but that was before we started seeing prices like £50m for decent-but-not-great players like Gelson Martins.  

Once it became clear that even a half-decent player like Klaassen was going to go for £25m and even above-average players for relegated teams like Harry Maguire were almost £20m then a player of van Dijk's calibre obviously goes up accordingly.

He'll go for above £55m for sure.  Probably somewhere around there initially and then maybe another £5-10m in fairly unlikely add-ons.  That will allow Southampton to claim that they got £65m for their fans and will ensure that the real amount changing hands is somewhere below £60m in all likelihood.

I still don't think we have much of a chance to get him, though it seems most of our fans disagree.  I can't imagine we're even speaking with Southampton at all right now, so unless he tells Chelsea and City that he's not interested (which I doubt he'll do) and Southampton have to choose between an unhappy player and £60m, I can't see it turning around.

Thing is with the tv money, even clubs like southampton, bournemouth and the like no longer have to sell players to survive never mind sell their best players. They can just sit 'bigger' clubs out unless they get a really stupid offer.

Southampton would sell van dijk for £70m because they know it is a stupid offer even though we think 50 is bad enough.

I think some fans still thinking we'll sign him are living in dreamland.

• Upvote 1

in must say that i find it baffling that they are not accepting 50 millions for one of their defender, it must be about 1/5 of what their whole club is worth and they always find someone better when they sell.

Same here. Maybe it's just arrogance but surely Southampton finish 12th-8th with or without him and if rumours of Tuchel going there are true then they can give him about £100m to try and make a real difference. As crazy as Southampton getting the Borussia Dortmund manger and spending £100m on players sounds it's not that far fetched these days.

Reports have gone from £35m in April to £50m in May to £70m in June. He's not played a fucking game!

No way anyone pays £70m for him this year or next. He's really good, that league cup game against us he was genuinely brilliant but £70m for a centre back doesn't happen.

His price was always going to be 50+ as soon as he signed a 6 year deal last summer, and it was the reason that I thought the rumours of our interest were bullshit. I can't believe we were actually on the verge of signing him. Even though it seems the club fucked it up and that the price would have been way over the top, it can only be a good sign that we were genuinely in for that caliber of player. 

Who was the back up we were interested in? Surely we have another iron or two in the fire. We were going in big on VVD and we were up against Man City and Chelsea, perhaps others. Even before our negotiating ineptitude reared it's ugly head again, things were by no means certain that we would sign VVD. 

So surely we have one or two alternate targets we had identified? 

If it's back to square one and behind the scenes at Anfield the recruitment team is saying, "So, does anyone know of any good defenders out there?" then that is negligent beyond belief!

Who was the back up we were interested in? Surely we have another iron or two in the fire. We were going in big on VVD and we were up against Man City and Chelsea, perhaps others. Even before our negotiating ineptitude reared it's ugly head again, things were by no means certain that we would sign VVD. 

So surely we have one or two alternate targets we had identified? 

If it's back to square one and behind the scenes at Anfield the recruitment team is saying, "So, does anyone know of any good defenders out there?" then that is negligent beyond belief!

Yep, Koulibaly and De Vrij. One looks like he could be off to Chelsea and the other about to renew his contract. Welcome to Liverpool Ben Gibson.

Rev, going on the scattergun approach of previous years if your top target is a CB and you bid but fail to get him you then turn your attentions to a 14 year old right mid. Our only problem this year is we are banned from signing said 14 year old so expect a new youth team coach and the rest of the budget is on replacing the pitch.

I still reckon we'll sign the lad. Couldn't care less about the fee, top player and exactly what we need.

Can't see it mate, think we'd have either signed him by now or he'd have put in a transfer request. He'll probably start the season at Southampton then move to Man City or Chelsea near the deadline when he realises we were serious about withdrawing our interest.

Thing is with the tv money, even clubs like southampton, bournemouth and the like no longer have to sell players to survive never mind sell their best players. They can just sit 'bigger' clubs out unless they get a really stupid offer.

Southampton would sell van dijk for £70m because they know it is a stupid offer even though we think 50 is bad enough.

I think some fans still thinking we'll sign him are living in dreamland.

I once dreamt Jonathan Woodgate played for Real Madrid. You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one.

• Upvote 2

Can't see it mate, think we'd have either signed him by now or he'd have put in a transfer request. He'll probably start the season at Southampton then move to Man City or Chelsea near the deadline when he realises we were serious about withdrawing our interest.

He's in Southampton's new kit promotion photos so it would take something quite significant to make them sell him now. There's still a chance but it would cost a mighty fee and there's no way Liverpool will pay it.

I think Southampton are playing a dangerous game as I think there has been a collective madness even contemplating £60m to 70m for a guy in his mid-20's who struggles to get into the worst Dutch team in recent memory. He could well start slowly next season after the injury & if they start badly his stock will reduce very quickly. I believe their results were actually better without him last season ?

I think Southampton are playing a dangerous game as I think there has been a collective madness even contemplating £60m to 70m for a guy in his mid-20's who struggles to get into the worst Dutch team in recent memory. He could well start slowly next season after the injury & if they start badly his stock will reduce very quickly. I believe their results were actually better without him last season ?

It's their call and not for us to make twats out of ourselves getting caught tapping him up, 

Let's just jog on,