Quantcast
Virgil Van Dijk - Page 312 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Paco

Virgil Van Dijk

Her brother has just knocked to say hello from the front with the kids in the car. He's a blue. I wasn't gonna mention the game but he brought it up. I said it was a disgrace and Pickford should have been sent off. "Yeah but Pickford did have his eyes on the ball the whole time" On the offside "His sleeve was off we would have had the right to be fuming if it was given" on Richarlison (This was the best one) "Your players had been winding him up all game it was inevitable he was going to react" 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

yeah but it's a question of complications the more damage is done and if he comes back the same. it might not be a popular opinion, but personally i think chamberlain is done at the top level. he doesn't look the same player to me at all. I am not saying he can't be a decent player somewhere, but he doesn't look like anyone who should be getting significant game time at a top half club any more. for example, i don't think he would get a game for everton or wolves if they're full strength.

That's true, but virgil doesn't need to do as much as the ox needs to do in midfield. He barely breaks a sweat in most games. His pace will suffer a bit but he doesn't use it much nowadays anyway, unless it's in an emergency. I think and hope that given he did walk off, any ancillary damage should be well healed by then. Both the medial and lateral ligaments have excellent blood supply and can heal fully even without surgery. 

7 minutes ago, niallers said:

That's true, but virgil doesn't need to do as much as the ox needs to do in midfield. He barely breaks a sweat in most games. His pace will suffer a bit but he doesn't use it much nowadays anyway, unless it's in an emergency. I think and hope that given he did walk off, any ancillary damage should be well healed by then. Both the medial and lateral ligaments have excellent blood supply and can heal fully even without surgery. 

hopefully it'll be all good. it just feels like one bad news story after another. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, niallers said:

Both the medial and lateral ligaments have excellent blood supply and can heal fully even without surgery. 

That is if they have tears - pretty sure he has ruptured his acl, the bad news alluded to would be that he done the same to the medial.

Medial and lateral ligaments can only take up to 8 weeks to heal even if fully ruptured. However, if they are damaged, they may repair them whilst doing the main surgery to help stabilise the joint. I suppose, any damage that has been done besides the acl isn't helpful. I hope he doesn't try to rush back for the euros. That's right on the threshold for recovery time, but i wouldn't want him to be going into highly competitive football without a proper period of rehab before hand

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, niallers said:

Medial and lateral ligaments can only take up to 8 weeks to heal even if fully ruptured. However, if they are damaged, they may repair them whilst doing the main surgery to help stabilise the joint. I suppose, any damage that has been done besides the acl isn't helpful. I hope he doesn't try to rush back for the euros. That's right on the threshold for recovery time, but i wouldn't want him to be going into highly competitive football without a proper period of rehab before hand

How times change, i done medial, cruciate and lateral as a kid, still feel it now, knee used to give way when i played after... 

3 hours ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

Alan Shearer: How you come back from an ACL injury

Good article. So Big Virg will come back as strong as ever. The hardest part will be the time out.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fuck. 

IMG-20201021-WA0005.jpg

I think all it means is that his knee is more damaged at the moment and he wouldn’t have been able to play on if he had wanted to, like Shearer did for example. Longer term I don’t think it will make a difference.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

How times change, i done medial, cruciate and lateral as a kid, still feel it now, knee used to give way when i played after... 

I've done my acl myself, and that after having a grade 2 tear on it for ten years and 3 further meniscus surgeries before that, and 3 meniscus surgeries on my other knee and that still has another grade 2 tear on it i got  in my first game back, 6 months after my initial injury. Fucking cursed i am and i still feel them all. Fucking Sunday league football! 

Luckily for virgil, he'll have the best medicinal support money can buy before and after!

Michael Owen just said he thinks Trent will suffer badly from missing Virgil. I actually think it could be the opposite. Team's clearly choose to target the Trent/Gomez combo rather than Virgil/Robbo. With Virgil gone Trent will now have more experience right beside him in Matip and Gomez/Robbo doesn't have the same look of invincibility about it so teams should start spreading the attacking threat.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, No2 said:

Michael Owen just said he thinks Trent will suffer badly from missing Virgil. I actually think it could be the opposite. Team's clearly choose to target the Trent/Gomez combo rather than Virgil/Robbo. With Virgil gone Trent will now have more experience right beside him in Matip and Gomez/Robbo doesn't have the same look of invincibility about it so teams should start spreading the attacking threat.

Yeah, I was thinking just that when he said it. And if fabinho carries on in the right side slot, he's another who just has a calmness about him. I would deffo say while we as a team are undoubtedly weaker without vvd, the gap between Trent and Gomez/matip was the obvious one of the 3 to exploit in our back line. Now all 3 gaps between defenders are probably equal, which while it may mean a team can play to their own strengths and target the pair that suits them, it probably leaves Trent much quieter than normal..which he probably needs right now as he's had a quiet start to the season..

4 hours ago, No2 said:

Trent and Virgil don't even play the same side. Only time he'll miss him is set pieces because he's the person we always aim them at. 

To be honest, the only thing I'm worried about with van Dijk out are teams bullying us in the air and injuries to other defenders. 

50 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Trent and Virgil don't even play the same side. Only time he'll miss him is set pieces because he's the person we always aim them at. 

To be honest, the only thing I'm worried about with van Dijk out are teams bullying us in the air and injuries to other defenders. 

This is a good point. The likes of Harry Kane, Jimenez and Benteke have been non-entities in the games against us since Van Dijk joined. 

It’s Virg, he’s made of girders and sexy as a twat leaking bourbon. He’ll return for the champions league final and carry that trophy and the premier league one onto our parade bus.

• Upvote 1

Really good article by Shearer that. I'm worried we might not see the same Van Dijk again, but you always have that worry with these injuries. The things that give me optimism is that he's a defender, not an attacker. Some players have lost that little bit of pace after injuries, and if you're a Fowler or an Owen you miss that, it shows, and you have to change your game a bit. 

Van Dijk's skills aren't based around his pace, he's not a Thuram, his is around his positioning and strength, especially in the air, and a knee injury won't make you lose any of that. Hyppia was slower than me, and he was still the best centre back we'd had for years. 

I think the science has moved on too, there's so much money in sport now that there's no expense spared in repairing the damage to these kinds of injuries. Players are fitter, leaner, look after themselves better (we'd never have a situation years ago where players were playing well into their 30s). 

The biggest thing he's got going for him though is his attitude. He's a pro, he's an optimist, he isn't going to do a Gazza and sink into a dark place, he'll already be champing at the bit to get this show on the road and come back stronger. It's a close group of players, great manager and professional off the pitch now too in terms of the calibre of experts we've got in the sports science side of things, he's probably at the best club in the world for this particular grim jouney.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

8E103E4E-F137-4FF6-9AB6-7FA64150314B.png

That's some good news for the lad and us! Still think he's going to be out for the season and even then, he's going to beeased back into the team. That twat pickford should chuck a few more goals in for us in the next 2 or 3 derbies after what he's done to a fellow pro.