You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Matip and Gomez are both made out of crisps, our back two for most of the season is shaping up to be Fabinho and van den Berg, quite clearly.

I think we’ll see 5 or 6 other players at CB before van den Berg. Players like Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Philips, Koumetio and Williams. I agree with your point though, we should have better cover at CB.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I can't find much criticism for the club over the centre backs. VVD is the best in the world, whatever the cover him being out would weaken us considerably. In Matip and Gomez we have excellent centre backs. Sadly, both are injury prone but we can't have six "first team" centre backs just because that's the case. I'd imagine long term we're going to have to make a decision on one of both of them. But Fabinho is very good there. Phillips is 23, has played in the German second tier which is a pretty decent level. I think against ale house sides, alongside Matip or Fabinho, he wouldn't be an appalling option. We'll probably need to change some things tactically but, as others have said, we've been pretty poor defensively with VVD in the side so needed to make some tactical changes anyway. 

The keeper situation is a much bigger problem. Adrian and Karius should have been binned in the summer, and a decent back up signed. Yes, no-one is going to be as good as Alisson, but there is a fucking huge ability gap between what we could have and what we do have.

Alisson and VVD out is going to chuck us back into the pack to some degree, I reckon. There doesn't appear to be a stand out team in the league. Could have four, five or even six teams within a dozen points by the end of the season, and 85 points might win the league.

Agree with all that. I don't rate City that highly. They will have injuries and I don't think teams fear them like they used to. They will still be up there though because their spine contains some wonderful players. Spurs look very good. Injuries have been a problem for them in the past few seasons, but maybe this might be the year when they get a bit of luck. I make them the only two teams that might finish above us. (I still make us favourites). I think 85 points wins it this year. The race for the 4th spot could be tasty.

It does really depend on Ali coming back and staying fit because if we have another run with Adrian in goal, he could single handedly cost us a lot of points and the title in a close race.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Agree with all that. I don't rate City that highly. They will have injuries and I don't think teams fear them like they used to. They will still be up there though because their spine contains some wonderful players. Spurs look very good. Injuries have been a problem for them in the past few seasons, but maybe this might be the year when they get a bit of luck. I make them the only two teams that might finish above us. (I still make us favourites). I think 85 points wins it this year. The race for the 4th spot could be tasty.

It does really depend on Ali coming back and staying fit because if we have another run with Adrian in goal, he could single handedly cost us a lot of points and the title in a close race.

Yes, watching Spurs today they seem to have a nice balance now. Three solid central midfielders who don't do anything flashy (very different to when Ali would burst forward, or Eriksson was controlling games). Two good, but fairly ale house centre backs. Two quick fullbacks whose defensive limitations are mitigated by the midfield. Two quick, direct, forwards in Son and one of Lucas, Bergwijn, or Bale. Presumably the latter if/once he gets fit. A good if not great keeper. And then of course Kane who appears to have transformed from a quality number nine into fucking Roy of the Rovers.

Re our keeping situation, I'm fucking worried about Europe. It looks like Adrian is going to play three of the six group games. Obviously we should batter the Danish side whose name I can't be arsed to google, but Atalanta and Ajax are sides that are pretty good, and capable of creating a lot of chances. We play both of them away in our first three games. I would snap your hand off for five points from the first three in the group. That may seem defeatist, and obviously we're capable of winning all three of them, but with VVD out, possibly Thiago out, and Adrian in goal, I'd be happy enough with simply being in a position where winning our home games with Alisson back will get us through.

Everton, Villa and Leicester will fall away. They'll probably all finish top half, and Everton have a decent chance of a European place, but basically we need to be in touch with City and possibly Spurs and Chelsea in a month's time. And I think we will be. It'll all still be pretty tight at the top.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Lloris is always liable to throw one in his own net, in my opinion. He's their Mignolet even if he has WC and EC winner's medals. But mourinho will grind out results for them. Be interesting to see how much they prioritise the EL this season for the League.

He doesn't, though. The French were runners-up in 2016.

22 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The biggest problem we have is that VVD is a leader and a creator playing at centre back. None of our current defenders can play that role, nor Fabinho, so I'd actually be tempted to play Henderson in his place.

Its obviously far from ideal, but I just can't see Gomez, Matip or Fabinho stepping up. 

Yep true, he's a significant force on the pitch and dressing room, a leader and someone  you want in the trenches. He'll be a huge loss no matter how long he's out for. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Yep true, he's a significant force on the pitch and dressing room, a leader and someone  you want in the trenches. He'll be a huge loss no matter how long he's out for. 

Everytime I hear the word trenches these days I think of Roy Keane. Trenches and character are his two favourite go to words.

I'm going to assume that Thiago isn't out for too long.

In that case we can play

Alisson, TAA, Henderson, Gomez/Matip, Robertson, Thiago, Fabinho, Wijdnaldum, Mane, Firminho and Salah. 

Thiago and Fabinho protecting the defence and Widjnaldum playing a more attacking role like he does for his country. 

If we can keep that 11 fit for the season, we'll be ok. 

10 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

In that case we can play

Alisson, TAA, Henderson, Gomez/Matip, Robertson, Thiago, Fabinho, Wijdnaldum, Mane, Firminho and Salah. 

Thiago and Fabinho protecting the defence and Widjnaldum playing a more attacking role like he does for his country. 

You'd play Henderson centre half? 

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

In that case we can play

I can recall Henderson playing CB one time. He really struggled. Should be able to play there based on footballing and physical capabilities, but I think it’ll take time for it to work ok which I reckon is best case.

6 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I can recall Henderson playing CB one time. He really struggled. Should be able to play there based on footballing and physical capabilities, but I think it’ll take time for it to work ok which I reckon is best case.

He played there in the World Club semi final didnt he? From what I remember he had a good game.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-van-dijk-injury-transfer-19125404

Can't see it happening but three at the back could be a option

------------Gomez--Matip--Fabinho

TAA---------------------------------------Robbo

or 

------------Gomez--Matip--Robbo

TAA---------------------------------------Tsimikas