Quantcast
Virgil Van Dijk - Page 290 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Paco

Virgil Van Dijk

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Hopefully the keeper is back sooner and Matip can give us a run of games. 

He doesn't have a history of that though does he? This was always the risk in going in for the season with 3 CBs. It pays off if you don't lose vvd for any length of time. It pretty much blows that whole plan up once vvd is out for a period. 

24 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

You can rework a formation to cope with injuries, but you can't conjure a keeper new wrists.

I'd go with this - 

TAA Matip Robertson

Fabinho

Thiago Henderson

Minamino

Salah Firmino Mane Jota

Funny how things change so quickly. I’d celebrate news that Virgil was ‘only’ out for six weeks like I celebrated the Origi derby winner. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He doesn't have a history of that though does he? This was always the risk in going in for the season with 3 CBs. It pays off if you don't lose vvd for any length of time. It pretty much blows that whole plan up once vvd is out for a period. 

I did suggest earlier going 443. 13 1-0 wins and we’ll be sound Baz.

FSG need to get their chequebook out for the January window. We all know Matip will be injured within a few months IF we're lucky and we can't rely on Fabinho as a long-term solution at centre-back. 

Everton had one sending off when it should have been three. How that Allan and Pickford stayed on the pitch is beyond me. Having said this we knew what was capable of happening if we lost Alisson and or Van Dijk and didn't strengthen those areas. We snooze,we lose.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Everton had one sending off when it should have been three. How that Allan and Pickford stayed on the pitch is beyond me. Having said this we knew what was capable of happening if we lost Alisson and or Van Dijk and didn't strengthen those areas. We snooze,we lose.

No doubt goal and centre back are where we experience the biggest drop off. Although we didn't handle mane's absence too well either and we've decent cover in his position. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

No doubt goal and centre back are where we experience the biggest drop off. Although we didn't handle mane's absence too well either and we've decent cover in his position. 

That's true,Mane and Henderson both make a big difference and Thiago is class on the ball too. But at least we have some decent cover there,GK and CB not so much.

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What's he said? The clip I saw he refused to criticise Pickford and basically said fuck all about anything something like "you think it was the wrong decision because you keep asking me"

He’s inferred that the lines on the VAR decisions are somewhat bent by whoever is reviewing the incidents. Not verbatim, but probably enough to have the FA trying to cover their arses on Monday by using it as a smokescreen for the questions that the Club have asked.

• Upvote 1

“He told BT Sport: 'It must be offside with VAR, it's what everyone wants.

'I think they bend the lines sometimes to make it offside. I'm not sure how they do it, I've seen it before.“

Several online papers, one being the Mirror, using this.

To be fair, I had BT on but didn’t see his after match interview.

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They’re the two best players in the world in their positions and our most expensive signings. 

Getting in better replacements (who none of us would have wanted to ever see on the pitch in an ideal world) would probably have meant not signing Thiago and/or Jota.

I wouldn’t criticise anybody at the club over what happened today. 

• Upvote 5

You gotta laugh at the criticism that follows the injuries of top players. "Well we should have bought another 75m CB on 200k wages to mitigate risk. We're just not prepared"

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You gotta laugh at the criticism that follows the injuries of top players. "Well we should have bought another 75m CB on 200k wages to mitigate risk. We're just not prepared"

How about "We should have bought at least a partner for him that wasn't 12 or made of glass"?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

How about "We should have bought at least a partner for him that wasn't 12 or made of glass"?

You know as well as I do the club rates Gomez and Matip. They don't think there's space for another CB

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

As @Aw Geez says, the real worry was always the frailty of his 2 partners. As I posted earlier, we basically had a plan that said we'll be alright if vvd stays fit. I understand that policy, because he does mostly stay fit. But ultimately you can't be shocked if some people are pissed off. There's plenty of people on this forum and beyond who were calling for another centre back to replace lovren. It's not like they're being smart after the fact. The same argument is true of the goalkeeping position, plenty were calling for a better alternative to Adrian (I wasn't one of them as I wasn't aware of a better keeper who'd be happy to be 2nd choice), but both of those issues have come to haunt us already. They weren't unforeseeable, they are perfectly legitimate concerns and I think a forum seems.to be a pretty smart place to come and air those concerns, especially as we don't have a fucking pub open anywhere. 

Oh, and I haven't seen anyone mention we should have spent 75m on a centre back. That's just something you're using to belittle those who foresaw this happening. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You know as well as I do the club rates Gomez and Matip. They don't think there's space for another CB

Fabinho was boss in the role too he'll be the kingpin back there i reckon if virg is out longterm.

The problem with "sign another CB " is that that player would either be a promising young player, like White or whoever, who probably would have cost a fortune and/or not been really reliable anyway or meant we couldn't sign Jota, or a "backup" like Lovren/Klavan type player. I'd take my chances with Fabinho playing there. 

Proper ACL rupture, like Ox or like Owen in the World Cuo, you’re not walking off like Virgil did. It looks like knee ligaments but the hope is it’s not that nature of injury.

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

Proper ACL rupture, like Ox or like Owen in the World Cuo, you’re not walking off like Virgil did. It looks like knee ligaments but the hope is it’s not that nature of injury.

Fingers crossed. Oxlade Chamberlain couldnt even move when he did his and owen basically twisted his body the other way when his studs got caught in the turf and was carried off.

Can anyone think of any top centre backs who’s ACL has gone?

I think it’s ruined or hampered a lot of attacking players careers down the years because it effected their pace and agility but Virg doesn’t completely rely on those things.  They’re probably the least important part of his game if anything.

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As @Aw Geez says, the real worry was always the frailty of his 2 partners. As I posted earlier, we basically had a plan that said we'll be alright if vvd stays fit. I understand that policy, because he does mostly stay fit. But ultimately you can't be shocked if some people are pissed off. There's plenty of people on this forum and beyond who were calling for another centre back to replace lovren. It's not like they're being smart after the fact. The same argument is true of the goalkeeping position, plenty were calling for a better alternative to Adrian (I wasn't one of them as I wasn't aware of a better keeper who'd be happy to be 2nd choice), but both of those issues have come to haunt us already. They weren't unforeseeable, they are perfectly legitimate concerns and I think a forum seems.to be a pretty smart place to come and air those concerns, especially as we don't have a fucking pub open anywhere. 

Oh, and I haven't seen anyone mention we should have spent 75m on a centre back. That's just something you're using to belittle those who foresaw this happening. 

Great post but its lost on some of these in here. 

"YOU'RE A TWAT" and "THIS FORUM WAS BETTER WHEN YOU WERN'T ON HERE" are just some of the ridiculous replies you get for wanting your club to have adequate cover in positions we have all been banging on about for a while now.

Well lets see how we do now if VDV is out for a while. Lets see if we can cope and retain the league with a flaky centre back and a man made of balsa.

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

People think they're geniuses for pointing out Matip gets injured and Gomez is a bit unproven. The club chose to back them a long time ago. The problem is that the club has extended both and Klopp believes in them, so what did people think, that he'd just toss them aside? That's the thing, the conversation is just unrealistic because the only possible move we can make is to buy a young player to develop or a more experienced stop gap