You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

9 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Regardless of age, plenty of sportspeople have never been the same after a bad ACL injury and even if that’s not the case, there’s no guarantee he'll 'only' be out for 8 months - we could be looking at a year or more. I would assume the scouting department looks long term, so I'd hope there’s a plan to accelerate the purchase of a major CB target if it is anything like a worst case scenario.

please, please, please just fuck off, I’m begging you now.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I at least partly agree with him. I honestly dont think Pickford intended to hurt Van Dijk. It was just a very clumsy, rash challenge. And the clearest red card you’ll see.

The Richarlison one was intentional, he went in to hurt his opponent.

Pickford wasn't playing the ball, so I don't really see what he could have been trying to do except hurt vvd. I've just rewatched it on youtube, Pickford's feet actually leave the ground about the time the ball passes vvd. His aim was to wipe out vvd, he just can't be playing the ball. And anyone who's wiping someone out with a two footed lunge can't think it's just a bit of a marker. 

10 minutes ago, Jennings said:

We can never know - but one thing is pretty clear the officials aren't providing any protection against career ending 'tackles' like that one 

For me the 1st benefit we should have got from var should have been to rule out these tackles from the game and if they happen, they become the straight reds they are. What's more astonishing is according to Dermot Gallagher the VAR ref has seen the tackle, but deemed it not serious foul play. Which you have to assume Gallagher is right because they looked at the offside to see if there was a pen in play - so the challenge of why car is being used. So simply we have people running the game who just think that tackle is ok. It genuinely beggars belief. 

IMG-20201017-WA0014.jpg

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

And not spoken by gobshite keyes either. Christ sake Liverpool wont have the medical scan reports yet.

I'm sure it takes a few days for scans to take place as any swelling has to go down first. A kick in the bollocks for sure but we were much the better team in the majority of the match. So it's not all doom and gloom just yet.

I’m livid, I can’t even try to pretend otherwise.

That stumpy armed spectrum licking cunt, shocking tackle. Has anybody seen 1 ex-professional think it wasn’t a red? As Crouchy said at half time, anywhere else on the pitch it was a red.

That VAR ref got a bad decision wrong last season as well. Can’t remember which game but it was almost as bad.

And Hendo’s winner... I know we’ve had the rub of the green in these games over the past 20+ years but when somebodies clinkers are allegedly offside, fuck me.

I celebrated the goal, went for a piss & when I came back my Dad said it might be offside. I genuinely feel awful about my reaction after that. Its been years since I lost my rag like that.

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

If Virg is out for the season, and assuming we’ve got Alisson and Thiago fit, then I think we drop down to the level City are currently at. 

With Virg we are the best team in the league. Without him we’ll still smash most teams but there are going to be games where get had off like City do now. 

I reckon that's a fair assessment. We might revert to being more attacking, on the front foot like in 17/18, trying to take pressure off the defence.

As big a loss as he is, we're probably better equipped to cope without VVD than Alisson for a prolonged period. You can rework a formation to cope with injuries, but you can't conjure a keeper new wrists.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I'm sure it takes a few days for scans to take place as any swelling has to go down first. A kick in the bollocks for sure but we were much the better team in the majority of the match. So it's not all doom and gloom just yet.

According to the echo we've already sent him and thiago to hospital. 

Screenshot_20201017-201350.jpg

If van Dijk is out long term, then the thinking that we could go into a season with the central defensive options we had without strengthening will be tested sooner rather than later.

I hope whoever made that call is really good at their job.

If he’s not out long term, then perhaps a short term tactical tweak to give better cover to the centre backs until Virg is back might be the option.

I thought the midfield three today did a fabulous job of supplying the forwards, helping cover the defence, and bossing the “best midfield since Ball, Harvey and Kendall”.

Either way, Alisson coming back is now crucial to instil calm and confidence into whoever plays in the back four.

We aren’t finished by a long way whatever has happened to van Dijk, we’ll still finish top four, and knowing this team and manager, winning it again wouldn’t surprise me at all.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm sure we won't just lay down and die. But it will probably cost us a dozen points or more. Personally I think if he's out we need to tweak a bit and go back to smashing teams. We saw today you've just basically got to hang the ball up and we've nobody can defend the ball. We're going to need to aim to score bundles this year to win matches. 

When the going gets tough. Etc.