Quantcast
Virgil Van Dijk - Page 280 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Paco

Virgil Van Dijk

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

My top 5 since I started supporting the club (1996/97)

1. Van Dijk

2. Carragher

3. Hyppia

4. Agger

5. Gomez (Bit of a wild card but fuck it...)

I'd say Hyypia was a better centre back than Carra, but Carra had the edge of longevity and scouseness.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, viRdjil said:

My top 5 since I started supporting the club (1996/97)

1. Van Dijk

2. Carragher

3. Hyppia

4. Agger

5. Gomez (Bit of a wild card but fuck it...)

Carragher, hahaha.

He’d struggle to get in the top 10.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Code said:

Carragher, hahaha.

He’d struggle to get in the top 10.

Really? Give us your top 10 then.

51 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Code has form for this. Ignore it, it’s a trap. 

I’ve seen a lot of disparaging remarks about Carra, I was young during his prime. But I thought he was absolutely fucking boss, don’t get me wrong Rafa and Ged’s conservative set ups helped, but Carra was one of the finest defenders in the world 04-10.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I’ve seen a lot of disparaging remarks about Carra, I was young during his prime. But I thought he was absolutely fucking boss, don’t get me wrong Rafa and Ged’s conservative set ups helped, but Carra was one of the finest defenders in the world 04-10.

Carra was superb. Not VVD level, but an excellent defender at his best. 

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

On 17/06/2009 at 03:35, Code said:

Boswinga, Sagna, O`Shea, Neville, Brown, Arbeloa, Belletti, Pantsil, Corluka, Steinsson are all better centre backs than Carra just to mention 10 players on top of my head.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Poor Ron Yeats doesnt get much love and even my late Dad called him a 'Yard Dog' but he was pivotal to our club's fortunes in the 60s and onwards.

Before my time but I know through my Dad how good he was.

12 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Before my time but I know through my Dad how good he was.

Before my time too (similar age) but he was such an important signing that Shanks used his full range of hyperbole over him.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Before my time too (similar age) but he was such an important signing that Shanks used his full range of hyperbole over him.

The Colossus. Take a walk around him. Haha.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Poor Ron Yeats doesnt get much love and even my late Dad called him a 'Yard Dog' but he was pivotal to our club's fortunes in the 60s and onwards.

Rowdy a yard dog!? He was a good old fashioned centre half whose job in those days was just to win all the balls lumped into the box. That's our box not the oppos except for corners because in those days it wasnt the done thing expecting the centre half to do much more than whack the ball up field.

With some of these players like carra and Sami, it's really hard to choose, as they were both very good centre backs, but were not world class. So then it really comes down to who you like most personally or perhaps what you want out of a footballer and centre half. Carra's reading of the game was 2nd to none though. 

For me, lawrenson, Hansen and VVD are all world class. I think VVD will have to do it for a little bit longer yet and win a few more jugs, but he has the potential to be the best of the lot, because he has absolutely no flaw to his game. I've never been able to choose between Hansen and lawrenson, but if ever I was trying to pick a best Liverpool XI I've seen it wasn't an issue, as they were always the best 2. I think very soon though it's going to be VVD in my best and I'll need to choose between lawro and Hansen. I'll probably pick Hansen as lawro always comes across as a bit of a prick. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

With some of these players like carra and Sami, it's really hard to choose, as they were both very good centre backs, but were not world class. So then it really comes down to who you like most personally or perhaps what you want out of a footballer and centre half. Carra's reading of the game was 2nd to none though. 

For me, lawrenson, Hansen and VVD are all world class. I think VVD will have to do it for a little bit longer yet and win a few more jugs, but he has the potential to be the best of the lot, because he has absolutely no flaw to his game. I've never been able to choose between Hansen and lawrenson, but if ever I was trying to pick a best Liverpool XI I've seen it wasn't an issue, as they were always the best 2. I think very soon though it's going to be VVD in my best and I'll need to choose between lawro and Hansen. I'll probably pick Hansen as lawro always comes across as a bit of a prick. 

Out of interest, what is your best Liverpool XI?

56 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Out of interest, what is your best Liverpool XI?

Tough one, as this team has some contenders, but I'm going to rule them all out for now. Only the players I've seen I've counted - and to some extent remember, I don't really remember Hughes for example. I've done a 433 as it's the fashion these days. I realise Whelan won't be agreed with by many, but I thought he was brilliant. Such a great reader of the game - maybe he's a reflection of my age too, where I maybe didn't appreciate those attributes as a kid. 

Clem, Neal, kennedy, Hansen, lawrenson, souness, gerrard, Whelan, Barnes, Kenny, rush

But I think it's fair to say this side could challenge in a number of positions - Alisson, Trent if he matures as looks likely, Robbo, vvd, Salah, mane. Maybe even someone might be able to knock my Whelan out in midfield. 

Obviously there's been some other crackers along the way, especially in the forward positions where we've been spoilt, Fowler,  beardsley, Owen, Torres and Suarez the little cunt. Then players such as McMahon, Nicol and even molby, who I've maybe never seen a better passer of the ball, even though he'd never get a game today. And plenty before them too like Smith, McDermott and ray Kennedy. 

What's yours? 

• Upvote 1