You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

39 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I saw this guy on Redcafe post a tweet about this guy who got the Rashford injury right before the press reported it say that van Dijk would want to leave this summer. And now this comes out. He's as good as gone. Been a good run. 

That Twitter account appears to have been deleted now.

I could see both club and player agreeing to a move in 2021 or 22, but this year sounds preposterous to me. I doubt Klopp would have been convinced to sign an extension against a backdrop of the club going all Dortmund on him and selling its best players as soon as he started to bring in the biggest honours.

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well if you always look for pessimistic angles, people might think that. Im not sure you're in tune with a professional footballer's mindset if you think they want to move on after they've won say, 1 league title or, 1 Champions League at a club.

Many average players get 'lucky' and play in a league title side or Champions League winning team. Few get to play in such a side and win 2 or 3. None of van Dijk, Sadio, Mo seem the type to me that wins 1 thens says Im off.

It's not pessimistic. I just think there's a career arc that exists in football and world class players like Mane, Salah and van Dijk, are ambitious and want to succeed wherever they can. We also don't pay the highest wages, so that's another thing. Wouldn't surprise me for a second if we sell one of the three, I'll say summer 2021. Think we'll want to run it back another year after this one. 

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not pessimistic. I just think there's a career arc that exists in football and world class players like Mane, Salah and van Dijk, are ambitious and want to succeed wherever they can. We also don't pay the highest wages, so that's another thing. Wouldn't surprise me for a second if we sell one of the three, I'll say summer 2021. Think we'll want to run it back another year after this one. 

Well, it would surprise me massively. If van dijk was motivated by wages, he'd have signed for city before us. Same with Sadio, Mo, Bobby and Alisson.

But if people arent surprised if any one or two of those players decide to leave at the end of the season, there's nothing Im saying will change their mind.

It would seem that scum rag has suceeded in what they wanted all along, to stir shit amongst Liverpool fans. Hey ho.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I saw this reported in the daily wail late last night. The line "A source close to Liverpool told the s*n...." and stopped reading there. No one 'close' to Liverpool would speak to that rag.

I wouldnt be surprised if shaun custis is behind this utter piece of shit.

I would have thought that if there is a source close to the sun, he would be way too hot to care about what is happening in Liverpool. 

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well, it would surprise me massively. If van dijk was motivated by wages, he'd have signed for city before us. Same with Sadio, Mo, Bobby and Alisson.

But if people arent surprised if any one or two of those players decide to leave at the end of the season, there's nothing Im saying will change their mind.

It would seem that scum rag has suceeded in what they wanted all along, to stir shit amongst Liverpool fans. Hey ho.

Mate, I don't care what a shite paper has to say. Top players leave top clubs all the time, for a multitude of reasons. You really shouldn't be surprised by any transfer in football. 

By the way, I wouldn't sell van Dijk if it was up to me. I'd make our back 5 untouchable for the foreseeable future. I'd let one of the front 3 go if they wanted, though. But like I said, I think if one of our best players wants to go, we'll tell him to stick around one more season for a shot at a repeat title. 

I know we obviously pay more attention to these 'stories' when it is our players so that probably skews it, but it does seem to me as if the media and the gutter press seem to come up with these shit stirring stories more about our top players than they do other top sides top players.

I don't recall seeing same kind of shite about DeBruyne last year - or Kompany when he was in his pomp for example.

Anyway fuck them and what they write/say - any player who wants to leave LFC right now is taking a step down.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

I know we obviously pay more attention to these 'stories' when it is our players so that probably skews it, but it does seem to me as if the media and the gutter press seem to come up with these shit stirring stories more about our top players than they do other top sides top players.

I don't recall seeing same kind of shite about DeBruyne last year - or Kompany when he was in his pomp for example.

Anyway fuck them and what they write/say - any player who wants to leave LFC right now is taking a step down.

To be fair, even the pricks who make this shit up know that any Man City rumours about players leaving would stretch the bounds of credulity beyond breaking point. They're that rich they don't have to accede to any player demands whatsoever. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think Hansen still is. 3/4 more years here and he will be. 

Pretty much.  Although the big difference between the two is that Jocky wasn't a fan of the physically heavy stuff.  In Troy Deeney's words Van Dijk "loves a fight".  He has the fucking lot, but he needs to do it over a period of 3-4 years to be talked about in the same light as Hansen.

9 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

Pretty much.  Although the big difference between the two is that Jocky wasn't a fan of the physically heavy stuff.  In Troy Deeney's words Van Dijk "loves a fight".  He has the fucking lot, but he needs to do it over a period of 3-4 years to be talked about in the same light as Hansen.

He smells nice too remember. 

20 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I did and I think he is. The most complete centre half we've ever had.

If Sami Hyypia and Alan Hansen were in the same squad, I would not know who would be left out each week.