Quantcast
Virgil Van Dijk - Page 264 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Paco

Virgil Van Dijk

33 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

When I started supporting Liverpool, our starting centre halfs were three of Mark Wright, Phil Babb, Neil Ruddock and Dominic Matteo. To me Van Dijk is quite comfortably the best I’ve seen for us.

I think we can all agree on that but we have had some immense players at the back for us down the years. Hyppia , Jocky, Hughes right back to Big Ron off the top of my head. VvD is in that category already and I don't find saying who's the best that interesting tbh although I do accept it's a favourite pastime for footie fans.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3979544

Exactly. I genuinely thought Mark Wright was class though. Maybe because I didn’t know better 

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Exactly. I genuinely thought Mark Wright was class though. Maybe because I didn’t know better 

I think he was known as a decent defender before but I properly started watching and understanding around 94 and I don't remember him being any good at all. To be fair he was surrounded by shite. Our best starting 11 today doesn't have any shite players in it. I don't think I have been able to see that about any 'best 11' since before my time. 

On 03/04/2019 at 13:38, Bjornebye said:

I think he was known as a decent defender before but I properly started watching and understanding around 94 and I don't remember him being any good at all. To be fair he was surrounded by shite. Our best starting 11 today doesn't have any shite players in it. I don't think I have been able to see that about any 'best 11' since before my time. 

He joined us on the back of a good World Cup, then didn't do too well with Souness and got dropped for a while (can't quite recall all the circumstances). After Roy got installled, he was ever present at the heart of our back 3. Michael Thomas also got rehabilitated by Roy. 

Come to think of it, we've bought quite a few players because they were decent at a major tournament. Mark Wright was probably our best at CB, because the runner up was Phil Babb and I have no idea how to rank Torben Piechnik, who was absolutely wank despite being the rock at the center of Denmark's defense that won Euro 1992. 

15 hours ago, neopulian said:

Come to think of it, we've bought quite a few players because they were decent at a major tournament. 

worst example being that shit bag El-Hadji Diouf. think we fucked off Anelka on loan for that twat

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

van Dijk's pass for the second goal was the stuff of dreams for strikers and the stuff of nightmares for opposition defenders. One touch to control the pass, poor second touch and fuck it, a screamer into the top corner.

His passing has been incredible, I wouldn't mind seeing a compilation - he seems to hit a perfect long ball every few games.

He's amazing.

Actually you could just sing the danger mouse theme and only change danger mouse to Virgil van dyke and it would still all makes sense. Well apart from the secret agent bit.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Diouf is possibly the most universally hated ex player we've ever had. Truly a uniting force for our fanbase.

Didn't he score a hat trick on his home debut as well?

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Diouf is possibly the most universally hated ex player we've ever had. Truly a uniting force for our fanbase.

Didn't he score a hat trick on his home debut as well?

Two,versus Southampton.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Two,versus Southampton.

And we all sang Diouf's on Fire. Stupid bastards.  

17 hours ago, neopulian said:

He joined us on the back of a good World Cup, then didn't do too well with Souness and got dropped for a while (can't quite recall all the circumstances). After Roy got installled, he was ever present at the heart of our back 3. Michael Thomas also got rehabilitated by Roy. 

Come to think of it, we've bought quite a few players because they were decent at a major tournament. Mark Wright was probably our best at CB, because the runner up was Phil Babb and I have no idea how to rank Torben Piechnik, who was absolutely wank despite being the rock at the center of Denmark's defense that won Euro 1992. 

We signed Mark Wright in 1991, a year after Italia ‘90. Wright has been a very good

centre-half for years, so in no way comparable to Babb.

7 minutes ago, Grinch said:

A win for football right there.   The wee rat in the running for it, shouldn't even be given a mention. 

Because it shouldn't go to a player who pisses the fans off by agitating for a move to another club...

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Because it shouldn't go to a player who pisses the fans off by agitating for a move to another club...

It shouldn't go to a player whose been nowhere near the best in the league.   Isn't even in his own clubs top three important players,  never mind the whole league.