You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

If you designed the perfect centre back I'm not sure you could create anyone better than Virgil. He's a physically perfect for the role, he's also quick, intelligent, composed and very good on the ball. If you could add an extra ingredient to improve him I'm not sure what it could be.

I know fans have a penchant for hyping their own players but I think it's universally accepted how immense he is and that's coming from Mancs and Bitters too.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Elite said:

If you designed the perfect centre back I'm not sure you could create anyone better than Virgil. He's a physically perfect for the role, he's also quick, intelligent, composed and very good on the ball. If you could add an extra ingredient to improve him I'm not sure what it could be.

I know fans have a penchant for hyping their own players but I think it's universally accepted how immense he is and that's coming from Mancs and Bitters too.

Above all he is a leader. Good ingredient

He’s a banker for Players’ player of the season because, unlike the Writers’ equivalent, there’s no politics or narrative to serve by pontificating over it.  

Just fellow pros voting who the best player they’ve come up against all season is. He’s been head and shoulders the best and most important player in the league for the past 18 months.

Sublime footballer.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand the need to try and play off who is the best from different era's. It's impossible to do because it's a team game and those around influence your view of each individual. And also because it's arguable Hansen wasn't even the best center back in the team he played in. I prefer the idea Virgil is boss. So were Hansen, lawro, Yates, thomo, sami, carra etc. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't understand the need to try and play off who is the best from different era's. It's impossible to do because it's a team game and those around influence your view of each individual. And not also because it's arguable Hansen wasn't even the best center back in the team he played in. I prefer the idea Virgil is boss. So were Hansen, lawro, Yates, thomo, sami, carra etc. 

I blame Tony Barrett.

• Upvote 1

You can see with VVD as others have said, the time he has, pace, intelligence, reads the game. Very rarely anything last minute or rash unlike others over the years. Last ditch defending isn’t always great defending, out of position? Not reading the game? Not quick enough? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

You can see with VVD as others have said, the time he has, pace, intelligence, reads the game. Very rarely anything last minute or rash unlike others over the years. Last ditch defending isn’t always great defending, out of position? Not reading the game? Not quick enough? 

Not Virg enough. 

He needs the armband and licence to go after the refs.

That's the one thing that he could (be allowed to) do better.

I'm not advocating Mourinho-era Chelsea (first edition), but having Virge swearing at you on a regular basis might just cause you to hesitate a bit here and there.

And he clearly knows the game, so not just swearing, but making intelligent points, arguments, etc.

6 hours ago, Elite said:

Fries.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

That's more of a side than an ingredient. Plus you wouldn't see big Virg eating anorexic chips.

I reckon he'd go with fries, to be honest, and I'm not being biased.  There's science.

For the same serving size, french fries contain about half the fat and calories, and a bit more fiber, than potato chips. And because they have a higher water content,fries fill you up faster.

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I reckon he'd go with fries, to be honest, and I'm not being biased.  There's science.

For the same serving size, french fries contain about half the fat and calories, and a bit more fiber, than potato chips. And because they have a higher water content,fries fill you up faster.

Fair point but he's not a nonce, so he can't possibly eat fries.