You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

People should watch that performance back. It is the best single performance from a centre back I think I’ve ever seen. His passing was outrageous, his speed was outrageous, his ability on and off the ball was outrageous. I couldn’t get over how good he was. 

Looked great in the captains armband, too. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

People should watch that performance back. It is the best single performance from a centre back I think I’ve ever seen. His passing was outrageous, his speed was outrageous, his ability on and off the ball was outrageous. I couldn’t get over how good he was. 

Looked great in the captains armband, too. 

How the fuck did we manage to get him? He’s the kind of signing that United used to make and it used to make me really angry, because it was so fucking obvious. 

Just now, aRdja said:

How the fuck did we manage to get him? He’s the kind of signing that United used to make and it used to make me really angry, because it was so fucking obvious. 

How did we manage to get him? We paid a world record fee, our manager is a diamond, and our team is boss and on the up. And we are a huge club. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

How did we manage to get him? We paid a world record fee, our manager is a diamond, and our team is boss and on the up. And we are a huge club. 

I can’t recall anything like it since I started supporting the club around twenty years ago. 

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I can’t recall anything like it since I started supporting the club around twenty years ago. 

A big club gets the best player from a small club? Torres was little different. Alison too. Salah too. Mane too. Suarez was even bigger. Alonso was a big capture. Keita too. 

Not sure what point you’re making?

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

A big club gets the best player from a small club? Torres was little different. Alison too. Salah too. Mane too. Suarez was even bigger. Alonso was a big capture. 

Us going.. “Him, he’s the best player in his position in the league, let’s pay whatever it takes to get him”. Torres was probably the closest. With Salah, a lot of people e.g., Monchi, Mina Rzouki, weren’t sure if he was gonna succeed given his difficult stint with Chelsea. Mane isn’t even the best attacker in the team let alone the league. Alonso was more a promising kid than a world class player when we bought him. Suarez became the best player in the world with us I felt, as opposed to at the time of purchase, and I’d probably also disagree with your description of Ajax as a “small club”, but understood your point.

Yeah, I disagree with most of that. And I was calling Southampton a small club, not Roma, Ajax, and the rest. 

We we are a giant, elite club and we have a world class manager, and we spent big on a player. That’s how we got him. The question ‘how did we get him’ and talk of United is belittling. 

32 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, I disagree with most of that. And I was calling Southampton a small club, not Roma, Ajax, and the rest. 

We we are a giant, elite club and we have a world class manager, and we spent big on a player. That’s how we got him. The question ‘how did we get him’ and talk of United is belittling. 

I don’t think it was belittling at all. United are probably the only club in the country some could legitimately argue, that is as big if not bigger than Liverpool, and their transfer strategy under Ferguson I thought was excellent. Like Alisson after him, his transfer really caught me by surprise.... “Liverpool breaking world records for a centre half.. no chance”. Fair dos if you had different expectations to me.

Just now, aRdja said:

I don’t think it was belittling at all. United are probably the only club in the country some could legitimately argue, that is bigger than Liverpool, and their transfer strategy under Ferguson I thought was excellent. Like Alisson after him, his transfer really caught me by surprise.... “Liverpool breaking records for a centre half.. no chance”. Fair dos if you had different expectations to me.

I think we’ve done exactly what we did with  VVD as we did with others. We are just way better at picking the target. Andy Carroll was little different. It’s how it turned out that was different. We are a club that is on that level. 

There was a point in the 2nd half where one of there lot was clean through can't remember who and VVD just motored past him it looked like the Chelsea lad was treading water and Van Dijk was gliding effortlessly across the pitch .

It's been pretty obvious all season why Klopp held out for him he's been amazing since he came in pure class 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

The most surprising thing for me was still getting him, despite nearly completely fucking it up. 

I was convinced that as soon as we pissed Southampton off with the whole saga that man city were gonna swoop in and get him and it would be the same old story that I've heard time and time again for years about nearly getting our man.

Just now, Aventus said:

The most surprising thing for me was still getting him, despite nearly completely fucking it up. 

I was convinced that as soon as we pissed Southampton off with the whole saga that man city were gonna swoop in and get him and it would be the same old story that I've heard time and time again for years about nearly getting our man.

Ronaldo, Vidic, Van Dijk...

20 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

There was a point in the 2nd half where one of there lot was clean through can't remember who and VVD just motored past him it looked like the Chelsea lad was treading water and Van Dijk was gliding effortlessly across the pitch .

It's been pretty obvious all season why Klopp held out for him he's been amazing since he came in pure class 

Negligence, according to many posters. 

23 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

0WpSyOe.gif

• Upvote 9

Klopp is the reason we got him.  Yes we are a big club but that hasn’t usually mattered in recent years.  He could have took the easy route.  When it all went tits up he could have said fuck it I just need to leave now and at City I will definitely win trophies and probably without breaking a sweat.  For some reason though he stood his ground because he wanted to come here.  He’s the best centre back in world football and he’s here and he fucking loves it.

• Upvote 1