You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Newcastle were nearly no threat, a few sides have been like that. It was only a few weeks back VVD was playing in a defence getting overrun by the worst team in the league in the fa Cup (although we did have ming in goal). But for me, it's just a few games. Seen plenty of them before with this team, under this manager and the previous one. VVD looks a good signing, but defenders need to be judged in blocks of 20-30 games, especially a team that dominates the ball as much as we do - lovren it seems to me is just due one of his shite games, I'm not sure he's any better alongside VVD, he could play like this before, then has a match where he looks like a competition winner given a chance I play centre back.

Seems a bit of a strange way to view it to me Barry. Like you didn't notice us chucking away goals and points in those types of games over the last couple of seasons pre-Virgil.

Guest Alex_K

It’s a very fair point to have made. Too small a sample size to make such definitive conclusions. What you can objectively look at however is his price tag — it’d be nigh on absurd not to get a world class player for that money — and Klopps transfer record - which is close to impeccable when any sum of any significance has been spent. Those should give more assurance than a couple of early-days appearances. But as already noted, fixtures like the United game will be the defining measure. And it’ll take two or three times more good games than that to be convinced Lovren has cleansed himself of the derangement that indiscriminately seizes his game ...

It was stating that Newcastle were no threat, so the defence couldn't be judged on their performance. We have performed terribly in defence against those types of teams quite often, and I'm pretty sure Barry has been happy to make some judgements on those performances!

I don't have too much of an argument about the small sample size of games.

Seems a bit of a strange way to view it to me Barry. Like you didn't notice us chucking away goals and points in those types of games over the last couple of seasons pre-Virgil.

As I say, it was just 4 or 5 weeks ago we were doing just that in the fa cup, in fact we were a shambles. Around the same time, we were losing at Swansea, again with vvd. We gave away a random daft goal just a week ago against West ham. The 1st pen against spurs is lovren doing one of his slips. Vvd is a good player, but his impact on those around him for me needs longer than 5 games or something to judge and I'm certainly too long in the tooth to think he's a miracle cure to lovrenitis.
  • Upvote 1

As I say, it was just 4 or 5 weeks ago we were doing just that in the fa cup, in fact we were a shambles. Around the same time, we were losing at Swansea, again with vvd. We gave away a random daft goal just a week ago against West ham. The 1st pen against spurs is lovren doing one of his slips. Vvd is a good player, but his impact on those around him for me needs longer than 5 games or something to judge and I'm certainly too long in the tooth to think he's a miracle cure to lovrenitis.

Lovrentitis is the worst titties one will ever see. but his titties looks better now, maybe VVD makes them more perky in the long run.

Yeah, fair enough that actually. Good point, well made.

Just as I think we are doing okay, sat in second with a seven point gap between us and Chelsea in fifth, in comes Barry Wom to remind us that we aren’t 100% perfect and we are, therefore, fucking shit.

That’s really not what Barry said.

I’m not as positive as you and I’m not as negative as Barry (although I’m sure plenty might argue I was even more nagative).

Recognising improvement but wanting more over a longer period of time isn’t negative.

It’s a result of having been let down constantly for years.

• Upvote 1

I'm more impressed with his calmness.

When you sign for Liverpool, you've got to walk in like you own the place. Not from an arrogance of thinking you're better than anyone, but from a place of self-belief - knowing you're good enough and relishing the opportunity to show it.

A place between cocky and confidence.

That's where VVD is. He oozes class, he's so composed in everything he does, and that calms everyone down. He also makes the right decision 99 times out of 100.

He's like a creation of the best center back possible on some computer simulation.

I watched him several times now from behind the goal, pointing, guiding and supporting all those around him, and I have not seen that since Carra.

He's also able to step up and support the midfield when we are dominating possession - something Carra couldn't do.

Add to that his passing range, his pace and his incredible aerial ability, it seems obvious to me that would bring (and has brought) more confidence to those around him.

It's very similar to the impact Suarez had on the attacking players. And Salah too, for that matter.

The one thing those two have in common is an unbelievable belief in their own ability, so much so that a bad miss or a misplaced pass never affects them.

I see VVD very much in that mold. The fact that hardly anyone even mentions his fee so soon after the transfer, is testament to that.

On the flip side, I'm with Barry on Lovren et al.

There is always a risk that if they revert back to form, and that may affect VVD. It may cost us important points, and that changes the feeling around the place again.

However, he's got something about him that you can't quite analyse scientifically. It's something akin to a fine piece of art, and I had no idea how good he really is.

Best centre back I've seen in a long, long time, for or against Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

Just as I think we are doing okay, sat in second with a seven point gap between us and Chelsea in fifth, in comes Barry Wom to remind us that we aren’t 100% perfect and we are, therefore, fucking shit.

You need a bit of that.

I'm more impressed with his calmness.

When you sign for Liverpool, you've got to walk in like you own the place. Not from an arrogance of thinking you're better than anyone, but from a place of self-belief - knowing you're good enough and relishing the opportunity to show it.

A place between cocky and confidence.

That's where VVD is. He oozes class, he's so composed in everything he does, and that calms everyone down. He also makes the right decision 99 times out of 100.

He's like a creation of the best center back possible on some computer simulation.

I watched him several times now from behind the goal, pointing, guiding and supporting all those around him, and I have not seen that since Carra.

He's also able to step up and support the midfield when we are dominating possession - something Carra couldn't do.

Add to that his passing range, his pace and his incredible aerial ability, it seems obvious to me that would bring (and has brought) more confidence to those around him.

It's very similar to the impact Suarez had on the attacking players. And Salah too, for that matter.

The one thing those two have in common is an unbelievable belief in their own ability, so much so that a bad miss or a misplaced pass never affects them.

I see VVD very much in that mold. The fact that hardly anyone even mentions his fee so soon after the transfer, is testament to that.

On the flip side, I'm with Barry on Lovren et al.

There is always a risk that if they revert back to form, and that may affect VVD. It may cost us important points, and that changes the feeling around the place again.

However, he's got something about him that you can't quite analyse scientifically. It's something akin to a fine piece of art, and I had no idea how good he really is.

Best centre back I've seen in a long, long time, for or against Liverpool.

The problem with this,it could also be a positive too,is what happens when VVD is injured or suspended for a few games? You then have to depend on the same players who have let you down previously as cover. Lovren looks fine alongside VVD but may refer to type if he's missing. Our form defender before we signed VVD was Klavan but VVD plays in the same position so it was a no brainer to drop him,which was unlucky on Klavan. Hopefully Van Dijk's influence remains when he is not playing.

• Upvote 1

The problem with this,it could also be a positive too,is what happens when VVD is injured or suspended for a few games? You then have to depend on the same players who have let you down previously as cover. Lovren looks fine alongside VVD but may refer to type if he's missing. Our form defender before we signed VVD was Klavan but VVD plays in the same position so it was a no brainer to drop him,which was unlucky on Klavan. Hopefully Van Dijk's influence remains when he is not playing.

The same goes for Salah, Mane, Bobby too. Anyone of them missing potentially causes us massive problems.

Look what happened when Mane fucked off last year!

And Keita coming in next season may see the same.

Ideally we'd have 2 for each position but that's never going to happen.

Lovren may have improved - however I think it is more a case that he is better than Matip (at the moment), who has been a big disappointment this season. I don't think anyone can say for certainty that Lovren has improved - he still made a big error against Tottenham for the missed penalty and I personally felt it was terrible defending by him for City's third goal (which gave us a few minutes of nerves). Those are the best two teams we will face and he made mistakes - i'm afraid that Lovren will always get found out against those teams. 

Well you almost make it sound like Matip and Lovren had a nightmare every game and they did not. While its not guaranteed they would not collapse if van Dyke was out injured hopefully if or when that happens, the keeper has grown even more in confidence, Clyne would be back to full fitness and whoever played as the CB pairing would have had the pressure of being Liverpools weakness removed. Got to have a bit of confidence that things are improving back there.

Ideally we need another CB and a really top notch keeper, 

VVD is a massive sticking plaster but there are still cracks waiting to appear.

But did Jurgen go out and buy a top notch keeper or outfield player to improve his Dortmund side. He did not replace that Weidenfeller in goal and I am not aware of any big name signings. I am not certain that is why I am asking the question.

Well you almost make it sound like Matip and Lovren had a nightmare every game and they did not. While its not guaranteed they would not collapse if van Dyke was out injured hopefully if or when that happens, the keeper has grown even more in confidence, Clyne would be back to full fitness and whoever played as the CB pairing would have had the pressure of being Liverpools weakness removed. Got to have a bit of confidence that things are improving back there.

Lovren has had plenty of nightmares,the Spurs missed penalty is typical of his mistakes and I simply don't trust him. I like Matip but he hasn't been particularly good this season and Klavan is unlikely to get many opportunities now that VVD is here. I think another CB wouldn't go amiss.

The last few years have taught us you cannot rely on Mignolet, Moreno or Lovren. They will always let you down. God forbid, VVD gets injured as you know Lovren will revert to type without a babysitter. He will never change. That’s why a reliable partner for VVD is a must, someone who can cope if the big man is missing.

Mignolet & Moreno are as good as gone and I think there is a decent defender in Lovren as long as he stops his occasional brain farts, which I think would happen with  a settled VvD partnership.

I think generally we live in an era of very ordinary centre backs & full backs as proven by the VvD cost & the the endless parade of £50m+ City buys.

Solid replacements for Mig and Moreno / Keita / another very good midfielder / another very good forward, and I could stomach no change to the defensive options.