You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

I'm scared to offer opinions these days due to the intolerant bullies.

However. I really really like him, but he very clearly has made a few errors, culminating with him twatting Lamela in the hamstring yesterday. I'm quite sure he'll cut most of them out, but he's not quite the second coming of Alan Hansen just yet.

• Upvote 1

I'm scared to offer opinions these days due to the intolerant bullies.

However. I really really like him, but he very clearly has made a few errors, culminating with him twatting Lamela in the hamstring yesterday. I'm quite sure he'll cut most of them out, but he's not quite the second coming of Alan Hansen just yet.

Agreed on both points. I think the Dutch not going to the World Cup will do us a favour as he is clearly going to need a full pre-season for fitness and to become more in tune with what is expected tactics and positioning wise. Saying that, it is good to see we finally have somebody in place at the back talking and leading, I think it will be a sound long term investment.

I don't think it's helped that he's playing with different players in defence and goal every time he plays. We need a settled defence, hopefully we will from now on.

This

Probably also doesn't help that when he was bought the media more or less painted him as the solution to all of our defensive issues.

He's immense and is very dominant in the air. Also seems to be the first real leader we've had for ages. I think he will be great for us the longer he settles in

Very good player. Excellent in the air, strong, good on the ball, organizes the back line. There’s a lot to like. Has missed a lot of football so he tires a bit late on, and has a little rust here and there, and is not quite match fit.

He will get better and better, and by next season it will be a well oiled machine back there, with Keita helping enormously in front.

Our burden as Liverpool fans is we can’t quite get all four components of the team on song at the same time. Goalkeeper, defence, midfield, attack. When we do we will challenge for the title. With two of the four working it’s a fight for top four.

Anyhow, VVD is a good buy. He’s our defensive kingpin. The fee is not his problem. Football has long since gone mad, and there was a lot of needle from Southampton, so they made us pay through the nose. The bottom line for me is Jurgen got his man and we can reasonably expect him to get better and better as he grows and the team settles.

Agreed on both points. I think the Dutch not going to the World Cup will do us a favour as he is clearly going to need a full pre-season for fitness and to become more in tune with what is expected tactics and positioning wise. Saying that, it is good to see we finally have somebody in place at the back talking and leading, I think it will be a sound long term investment.

Good point that!

I thought he made a difference yesterday - I wasn't so nervous when the ball was at our end, think he's a calming influence too

The question I have, is why weren’t we scouting him BEFORE he went to Southampton? He’s coming upto his 27th birthday, it’s not as if he ‘developed’ at Saints.

We’re a bit slow aren’t we - as has been pointed out very early in this thread.

The question I have, is why weren’t we scouting him BEFORE he went to Southampton? He’s coming upto his 27th birthday, it’s not as if he ‘developed’ at Saints.

We did when he was with Celtic but the scouting department were not convinced. It happens sometimes.

Apparently the players they scout need to prove themselves at Southampton before they are convinced.

Indeed we are slow.

Not a fan of buying from other PL clubs. But in Van Dijks case i think we did good. He is absolutely class and has done very well since coming in. Still need a proper partner for him though. Hoping Gomez or Matip will step up. Or sign Tah, aswell as a new GK and left back.

Think at right back we are well and truly sorted with Clyne, Gomez and TAA.

It's difficult to tell how good a player really is if they have only tested themselves in the Dutch league and Scottish Premiership, week in week out. If we had a much bigger budget we could take the Chelsea route of buying up these sort of players and loaning them out but we can't afford to do that.

It's difficult to tell how good a player really is if they have only tested themselves in the Dutch league and Scottish Premiership, week in week out. If we had a much bigger budget we could take the Chelsea route of buying up these sort of players and loaning them out but we can't afford to do that.

And yet Saints seem to be able to do just that. He’s not the first either. We seem to to tap their pool of talent quite regularly.