You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Virgil 4 played well , Other than getting caught out of position when they broke and scored he was pretty much faultless . I can see him the biggest threat we have had since Hyppia at corners,

To be fair he did point at Jagielka right before he received the pass, so he did read what was going to happen just couldn't make it there in time.

Very good player and he will do well here. A defensive unit needs to emerge, and it will. As and when it does we will have it all worked out with regard to cover. If VVD is to be a threat in their box when we have corners, we need cover for the fast break. He can’t be in two places at once. There’s an element of risk, but as his winner against Everton showed - and he almost nodded another in before it, it’s a risk well worth taking. It can be mitigated with working on the cover, and I’m sure we will improve there.

• Upvote 2

I thought we covered the break quite well as there were about four players near Jagielka by the time he was shaping to shoot. The trouble was he passed back and our second line (Can) was nowhere. Nice finish too which I doubt anyone else on their team (except maybe Rooney) could have pulled off.

Antonio Conte, who insisted Chelsea will attempt to continue strengthening their squad in January, admitted the Blues worked hard to lure Virgil van Dijk to Stamford Bridge, before the Holland defender eventually signed for Liverpool in a record £75m deal.

Asked if he was disappointed not to recruit Van Dijk, the Chelsea boss said: "This is football. This is life. For sure he was our target but as you know this is football.

"We can have a lot of targets but you must be able to reach those targets. The transfer market is not simple for any club

I honestly don’t see what the big deal is about either way. It’s not as if Karius is known for being slow off his line. It was quite far away from the goal and Van Dijk felt it was easier for Karius to come out and deal with it as he wasn’t 100% he could turn round and play it out. He screamed at Karius to come out which was the right thing to do and Karius was right to wait for that shout. It wasn’t running into the box and Karius could see that had Van Dijk took control of the ball he had time. If Karius comes charging out without Van Dijk calling him then the option for Van Dijk to pass it back to him is closed off and could have caused a problem.

It just seems like another way to have a go at the goalkeeper for people who don’t fancy him.

Having been a goalie(A sunday league hoofer and later a coach) if a defender shouted at me to deal with something he should have dealt with he would get both barrels. Van Dijk was excellent but late on he was obviously a bit tired so didnt fancy chasing it. It was also a poor call because he was in a position where he couldnt see the attacker,the attacker was in a position to see the number on the defenders back(a coaching point some coaches use) so Van Dijk was in the wrong. Had a good game of course but nobody is faultless.

He clearly barged into Karius knocking the ball loose, and I'm not sure what the point was of screaming at him when he came out to clear the ball. Karius is obviously instructed to play sweeper and when he comes out, he's got to deal with the situation, not the defender.  

Was always going to be a bit rusty, but where he impressed me was in the air. Everton got zero change out of their punts up the field and I can envision many times in the future when he wins the header off a goal kick, we win the second ball and break forward.  

He clearly barged into Karius knocking the ball loose, and I'm not sure what the point was of screaming at him when he came out to clear the ball. Karius is obviously instructed to play sweeper and when he comes out, he's got to deal with the situation, not the defender.  

Was always going to be a bit rusty, but where he impressed me was in the air. Everton got zero change out of their punts up the field and I can envision many times in the future when he wins the header off a goal kick, we win the second ball and break forward.  

van Dijk did not barge into Karius. van Dijk was tracking the ball in the air and Karius came to catch the ball but in doing so brought the ball down onto van Dijk. It was simply an accidental collision between 2 players. van Dijk clearly expected the keeper to come out more than he did which I thought during the game was a bit unfair. In the second half when van Dijk was tiring he called for Karius to come and collect when it was still yards outside the box and really was van Dijk's ball to clear. But these things happen when there is a new player in the team and it takes time for them to get used to each others game. Will be interesting to see how van Dijk plays with Mignolet today.