You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

He was telling Robertson to move up the line another five yards from the throw in, I think we have ourselves the new capitain ladies and gentlescrotes.

He will be by start of next season.  Pretty sure he was told last Summer he'd be made captain when he moved to us..

Van Dijk should have been dealing with the balls he was telling Karius to deal with. Karius not at all at fault for those despite what the clueless commentators were trying to say.

I could’ve sworn Vlad Karius could do no wrong in your eyes..

Van Dijk should have been dealing with the balls he was telling Karius to deal with. Karius not at all at fault for those despite what the clueless commentators were trying to say.

Completely disagree with that.

Karius needs to read the game better and understand what's happening in front of him.

He also dropped the ball today when coming out for it. We need better.

How many players crumble when they arrive here? There’s too many to count. This cunt turns up walking around the pitch like he’s won 10 league titles here in his first game. I’m probably imagining it but felt like Matip looked fucking great next to him as well.

This, on his debut he's strutting about, handling their forwards physically, bollocking karius, organising the defence, telling people when they are free to roam because he's watching the space behind them, pointing at everything, and getting his head on most of the freekicks and corners, one of which leading to a goal.

Most would have played it safe and just focused on not making mistakes, he's so confident in himself he's focused on stopping the people around him making mistakes instead.

Takes a special kind of player to do that.

• Upvote 2

No chance, much safer for the keeper to come out and clear than it is for a defender to run towards the goal, then have to turn around and clear, all this while he's got a man on him.

I can’t stop smiling! What a debut

When you consider the pressure he was under being the most expensive defender of all time, he made it seem like a piece of piss.

If we can only get the next Buffon in goal, then we are sorted.

Van Dijk v Everton:

5 Aerial Duels won (more than anyone)

79 Touches (Second most on the pitch)

2 Shots on target (More than anyone)

1 Goal.

2 Interceptions (Most for Liverpool)

62 Passes (More than anyone on the field)

4 Long Passes (More than anyone for Liverpool).

• Upvote 2

I actually really wanted him when he was young and playing for Birmingham. Since he moved to Stoke and was loaned out everywhere, I’ve lost track of him. How’s he performing?

No idea. He was out injured for a long time. Haven’t seen much of Stoke at all either if I’m honest.