You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

That Tom28 is saying any bid from us will be rejected, that Southampton are will to let him sit out for the entire season.

I can’t buy that. If they want to massively devalue their asset, then they’re fucking idiots. I can’t believe a business is going to turn down 70m because they don’t like the buyer. You don’t throw away tens of millions of reinvestable money to stick it to a player.

It’s silly. I can’t believe the ‘ITK’ tests who come out with that stuff.

Reddy.jpg

That could never be true; firstly she'd need to read a tweet about vvd not being in the toilets, then she'd need to read a tweet saying that he is, then she'd need to create a twitter thread pontificating about how she agrees with the first tweeter and the second tweeter, before eventually walking away from having any opinion of her own.

• Upvote 2

That Tom28 is saying any bid from us will be rejected, that Southampton are will to let him sit out for the entire season.

I can’t buy that. If they want to massively devalue their asset, then they’re fucking idiots. I can’t believe a business is going to turn down 70m because they don’t like the buyer. You don’t throw away tens of millions of reinvestable money to stick it to a player.

It’s silly. I can’t believe the ‘ITK’ tests who come out with that stuff.

Yet people are saying we do the same with Coutinho/Barca.

Why is one situation unbelievable yet the other is good business?

Yet people are saying we do the same with Coutinho/Barca.

Why is one situation unbelievable yet the other is good business?

We aren’t selling to anybody for any price. Southampton are willing to sell to anybody but us. That’s a big difference. If Barca come in with a big bid next season, I’m sure we will sell, not turn down money because it’s Barca.

• Upvote 1

That Les Reed cunt clearly hates scousers though doesn't he. He's in charge of the ins and outs there. As daft as it sounds if he's got the ear of the new owners then he could easily be putting up various arguments not to sell to us. You would think that these type of things wouldn't effect the business world but these type of people can and do exist. If they are genuinely refusing to do business with us I expect it has a lot to do with him.

But you know what it's their money and their player. They can do what they want. They will have to face the consequences of it though. And if that means he refuses to play for the next four months there's no way we or anybody will be going back in for him for 70m.

That Les Reed cunt clearly hates scousers though doesn't he. He's in charge of the ins and outs there. As daft as it sounds if he's got the ear of the new owners then he could easily be putting up various arguments not to sell to us. You would think that these type of things wouldn't effect the business world but these type of people can and do exist. If they are genuinely refusing to do business with us I expect it has a lot to do with him.

But you know what it's their money and their player. They can do what they want. They will have to face the consequences of it though. And if that means he refuses to play for the next four months there's no way we or anybody will be going back in for him for 70m.

According to bascombe in the torygraph, despite the shit over the van Dijk saga, he says relations between both clubs heirarchy is 'cordial' so I dont get this reed fella.

Im not being funny but there is a food chain in football. we're above southampton and below barcelona. That's why we're after van Dijk and barcelona are after coutinho. It's just the politics of football. Just get the business done and move on.

I disagree Jimmy. The football world would get boring very quickly if it stayed that way. Clubs should be forcing the players to honour their contracts if that's what they want them to do. If they want to leave then you do what Can and Barkley have done. Everyone knows where they stand when a player hits his 2 years left point.

The next step for Southampton is to break into the European spots. They aren't going to do that by selling their best players to us specifically. On the basis of history we are the most likely to drop out. That will be the argument Reed will be putting forward although I think his reasons are more likely to be personal. I say that because they appear to be happy to sell to Arsenal.

Southampton aren't on any sort of trajectory for a european spot.  They always sell their best players, always.

They've just changed ownership.  Again.

They've started this season with two 0-0 draws, and only jammed a win against the pathetic West Ham with a 91st minute penalty.  Nothing's changing.

They went out of the EFL Cup 7 days ago.  Christ, the season's barely started and they're already out of 1 competition.

You can't compare Southampton to us.  Good players have every right to want out of Southampton, though obviously Southampton have every right to hold onto players where possible. 

I disagree Jimmy. The football world would get boring very quickly if it stayed that way. Clubs should be forcing the players to honour their contracts if that's what they want them to do. If they want to leave then you do what Can and Barkley have done. Everyone knows where they stand when a player hits his 2 years left point.

The next step for Southampton is to break into the European spots. They aren't going to do that by selling their best players to us specifically. On the basis of history we are the most likely to drop out. That will be the argument Reed will be putting forward although I think his reasons are more likely to be personal. I say that because they appear to be happy to sell to Arsenal.

I think you'll find this 'forcing' players to honour their contract is just not plausible. Do clubs force managers to honour their contract or do they bin them off after a run of poor results? Do clubs sell players for their own ends ie to finance a new player purchase?

No doubt some will say that's different but, it is not. If people want consistency, then it must be consistent across the game. They cant pick and chose which consistent bits they want to dismiss and which ones where it should be enforced.

Half of this 'forcing' players to their contracts is tied up with this shit about club A not selling to club B. It seems to be a particularly English thing. On the continent major clubs will do business with each other but now, we have stuff like arsenal not wanting to sell to us because of bad vibes or thinking we're a direct rival for 4th spot or some shit.

Talk of 'forcing' anyone let alone players of doing things they dont want to do smacks of slavery in my opinion. It's another piece of shit that's been blown up by a shitty transfer window system.