You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

A transfer request means the player gives up his loyalty bonus, which is why hardly anyone ever makes an official transfer request, even in circumstances as obvious as these.

If we wanted him that badly we'd compensate his loyalty bonus in his signing on fee. I just can't see his desire to move here that big that he'd go down that route, it's not like we're Barca or Real where it's a once in a lifetime move, what's the difference for him, with no loyalties to Liverpool, in signing for one North West club or another?

If we wanted him that badly we'd compensate his loyalty bonus in his signing on fee. I just can't see his desire to move here that big that he'd go down that route, it's not like we're Barca or Real where it's a once in a lifetime move, what's the difference for him, with no loyalties to Liverpool, in signing for one North West club or another?

Because one team is Liverpool and the other is man city. 

• Upvote 1

Exactly, it's a miracle he's even chose us at this stage. Look at the two teams without the red tinted glasses. One is fighting for the league most years, and the other is us

A miracle? Behave mate.

Maybe he took into account the fact that, I dunno...

On our day we are one of the best teams in the league;

We finished two points behind city - a team with an infinite budget;

We were unbeaten against all the top sides last year;

We can sell out efl semi finals;

We can sell out cl games;

He wants to sample Anfield on a cl night;

We have one of the best managers in world football;

We have the nucleus of a team that supplemented with additions the class of Himself and the names we are being linked with, we can make the necessary improvements to sustain a potential title challenge?

We are Liverpool, not some two bob plucky underdog.

Fuck city, the lottery winning cunts. Let them spend what they want the johnny come lately pricks and let us take care of our business and sign players of similar class to VVD.

• Upvote 2

Imagine the pub bantz around the pool table after another stale 0-0.

That lad saying "Yeah, but who scored first when you beat us 6-1, eh?" is the low watermark in the entire history of witless bellends trying to one-up each other about football.

A miracle? Behave mate.

Maybe he took into account the fact that, I dunno...

On our day we are one of the best teams in the league;

We finished two points behind city - a team with an infinite budget;

We were unbeaten against all the top sides last year;

We can sell out efl semi finals;

We can sell out cl games;

He wants to sample Anfield on a cl night;

We have one of the best managers in world football;

We have the nucleus of a team that supplemented with additions the class of Himself and the names we are being linked with, we can make the necessary improvements to sustain a potential title challenge?

We are Liverpool, not some two bob plucky underdog.

Fuck city, the lottery winning cunts. Let them spend what they want the johnny come lately pricks and let us take care of our business and sign players of similar class to VVD.

I don't like city in any way. But a modern player doesn't give a shit if they're 'wholesome' or where they got their money. We've finished outside the top 4 most seasons of the last 8. We're not some 2 bit underdog but we were hardly favourites to sign him. Historically we've never matched the transfers fees or wages of city either, for top players. And I love Klopp but Peps bound to be just as big a draw to most players.

It'll take some sustained success in the top 4 and maybe a few trophies before were in cities league, in a modern players eyes imo. Unless they're a red or, as seems the case here, have a particular want to work with Klopp, then we're going to be second choice in that particular battle.

I'm sorry if that's not 'behaving'.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't like city in any way. But a modern player doesn't give a shit if they're 'wholesome' or where they got their money. We've finished outside the top 4 most seasons of the last 8. We're not some 2 bit underdog but we were hardly favourites to sign him. Historically we've never matched the transfers fees or wages of city either, for top players. And I love Klopp but Peps bound to be just as big a draw to most players.

It'll take some sustained success in the top 4 and maybe a few trophies before were in cities league, in a modern players eyes imo. Unless they're a red or, as seems the case here, have a particular want to work with Klopp, then we're going to be second choice in that particular battle.

Not in their league? We are more than a match for them and also any top side on our day, as proved last season. I believe we are only going to get stronger under Klopp coupled with the potential signings mooted.

This was Klopps first full season and we made top 4 against many people's (not mine) expectations. We are playing against three of the most expensively assembled squads ever to play the game and a team that had achieved top four status for the past 20 seasons. So as I stated, maybe he sees that and having played against both teams sees the potential and believes us a more fitting club for his next move. If you believe it's just the klopp factor that he has seemingly chosen to pick us ahead of them, I have to disagree for all the reasons stated in my original response.

• Upvote 2

VVD himself has supposed to have said he's "excited about Klopp's project" so I'm guessing Klopp is a very big draw for him.

Also - I'm really pissed off this is not done and dusted now, I don't want yet another anxious transfer window!

Nah, Saints have been successful with this recently. They basically forced Wanyama and Schneiderlin to stay an extra season. Wouldn't accepts any bids for them, and promised them they could go the year after if they didn't put in a transfer request. They also made it really difficult for Spurs to get Alderweireld by saying they would take Spurs to court over a clause he had in his contract.

I think we'll defo need van Dijk to hand in a transfer request, else they won't let him go to us. Those tapping up allegations says a lot about how much they don't want us to sign him.

• Upvote 1

Also - I'm really pissed off this is not done and dusted now, I don't want yet another anxious transfer window!

Assuming you're serious your expectations of this transfer are way to high. All that's happened is, presumably through a third party, he's expressed an interest in signing. He hasn't even ruled out joining any other club.

We've not agreed a contract or a fee with the club so how anyone could have a realistic expectation that a transfer was imminent is beyond me. 

Liverpool FC NewsVerified account @LivEchoLFC 1m1 minute ago

BREAKING: Liverpool end interest in Virgil van Dijk as they issue apology

Liverpool FC statement

Liverpool Football Club would like to put on record our regret over recent media speculation regarding Southampton Football Club and player transfers between the two clubs.

We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk.

We respect Southampton's position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/265720-liverpool-fc-statement