You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

He was definitely holdng back a bit, and his timing was off too.

He played them onside a couple of times,  which rarely used to happen.

For the Pukki chance, a fit VVD would have taken 2 strides and snuffed the chance out, but he let him go.

I reckon he'll need a dozen or so games before we see him back to his best.

That's probably why it's best we got started now.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

He was definitely holdng back a bit, and his timing was off too.

He played them onside a couple of times,  which rarely used to happen.

For the Pukki chance, a fit VVD would have taken 2 strides and snuffed the chance out, but he let him go.

I reckon he'll need a dozen or so games before we see him back to his best.

That's probably why it's best we got started now.

Yeah, definitely a calculated gamble to get him straight into it as he needs games. Was pleasantly surprised to see him starting.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, definitely a calculated gamble to get him straight into it as he needs games. Was pleasantly surprised to see him starting.

Me too. Plus, his quality on the ball, in the air, and his general leadership already makes him our best option, even without the rest of it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

He might have broken his finger, but he did not say anything himself after the game last night in Norway.

Haaland said in his interview that van Dijk had told him he broke his finger in an incident though, Haaland had no idea how it happened.

If its true or not I have no idea about, since van Dijk mentioned nothing about it after the game.

25 minutes ago, Code said:

He might have broken his finger, but he did not say anything himself after the game last night in Norway.

Haaland said in his interview that van Dijk had told him he broke his finger in an incident though, Haaland had no idea how it happened.

If its true or not I have no idea about, since van Dijk mentioned nothing about it after the game.

Seems to have dislocated it.  Had it popped into place, bandaged up and played on.

Not much to worry about.

• 1 month later...

Has he dropped by 5% from pre-injury?

He’s still come up with the odd bit of brilliance and won a lot in the air, but I’m slightly concerned he’s not at the level he was before. 

I’m hoping it’s something that will come back with match fitness, but I think Matip has outplayed him pretty much all season. 

I love him all the same.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Say what?!

We're lucky the boy is even playing games right now. He's coming back from a very serious injury but he'd not bad. What games are some people watching?

Are you aware this isn't the 1970's? It takes like a year to properly come back from this kind of injury now, and it's been more than a year.

No one's putting him permanently in the grave, he's just been demonstrably not that good thus far this season. 

He’s not as good as he used to be, but he will soon be. It takes time to come back to the top. As far as I’m concerned, I thought it would have taken him longer and with more drama. After such a long spell out of the gave, it’s not unusual to undergo minor injuries. 

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Are you aware this isn't the 1970's? It takes like a year to properly come back from this kind of injury now, and it's been more than a year.

No one's putting him permanently in the grave, he's just been demonstrably not that good thus far this season. 

Am I aware this isnt the 1970s? What the fuck's that supposed to mean?! And it's been more than a year? He's been recovering and building his knee back up for a year. He's only just stepped back onto the fucking pitch for the first time in a year.

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Am I aware this isnt the 1970s? What the fuck's that supposed to mean?! And it's been more than a year? He's been recovering and building his knee back up for a year. He's only just stepped back onto the fucking pitch for the first time in a year.

That you don't have to have your leg amputated when you injure your knee like you did back in those days. You sounded confused as to what era we're currently in.

5 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

He’s not as good as he used to be, but he will soon be. It takes time to come back to the top. As far as I’m concerned, I thought it would have taken him longer and with more drama. After such a long spell out of the gave, it’s not unusual to undergo minor injuries. 

My worry I suppose is that Hansen, while still our best defender, was never quite the same again after serious injuries (knee I think) in the mid 80’s. Not an identical situation and 95% Virgil is still better than 99% of defenders. But there is a difference.

• Upvote 1