You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd rather he was just a bloody good defender and the rest is just icing on the cake.

Part of being a good defender is having the physical attributes to do it. Virgil’s pace is unreal, his physical presence is unreal. For all his ability as a defender, if he was 8 stone and slow, he’d be a fraction of the player he is. 

The point is, it’s not the icing on a cake so much a prerequisite in the same way somebody with a great boxing brain isn’t going to do well if they’re gassed after two minutes or somebody who is great with a racket but doesn’t have the strength to deal with fast aces won’t ever make it. You need these things to be a bloody good defender in the modern game. Otherwise you’ll get outpaced or outmuscled pretty quickly. We all want him to be a bloody good defender, but that doesn’t mean we should belittle the other attributes. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Part of being a good defender is having the physical attributes to do it. Virgil’s pace is unreal, his physical presence is unreal. For all his ability as a defender, if he was 8 stone and slow, he’d be a fraction of the player he is. 

The point is, it’s not the icing on a cake so much a prerequisite in the same way somebody with a great boxing brain isn’t going to do well if they’re gassed after two minutes or somebody who is great with a racket but doesn’t have the strength to deal with fast aces won’t ever make it. You need these things to be a bloody good defender in the modern game. Otherwise you’ll get outpaced or outmuscled pretty quickly. We all want him to be a bloody good defender, but that doesn’t mean we should belittle the other attributes. 

I wasnt disparaging your comment but simply prioritising my own preferences,nothing more.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it’s not a “new signing” but this is great news. I Prefer retaining all our best players who were responsible for winning the title and European cup to the heady days of 2010 when one of the best sides we’d had in years was dismantled and we had the new signings like Joe Cole to look forward to.

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Seems odd that Van Dijk has signed an extension and Henderson appears to have not been offered one. They are a year apart in age.

I don't think it is particularly. He's likely to still be a world class centre back in his mid 30s, it's unlikely Henderson will be a world class central midfielder in his mid 30s.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Seems odd that Van Dijk has signed an extension and Henderson appears to have not been offered one. They are a year apart in age.

VVD is also available for every game, GBH aside. They must be completely confident he's made a full recovery 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, m0e said:

VVD is also available for every game, GBH aside. They must be completely confident he's made a full recovery 

That’s perhaps the most exciting thing about this as far as I’m concerned. They’re not going to stick an additional two years on top if they think he’s significantly diminished.

4 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Working through them nicely this summer.

Just Mo, Mane, Robbo and hopefully Hendo left to sort. 

Henderson might be January/next summer decision, they probably know what the structure of a deal he wants would look like but want to see how his fitness holds up before committing.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Henderson might be January/next summer decision, they probably know what the structure of a deal he wants would look like but want to see how his fitness holds up before committing.

If even then. Might well go down to the wire. It’s a really tough decision on Hendo, I can see that one from both sides. Hope we keep him though, his importance to and influence on that squad is vast.

1 minute ago, Kevin D said:

Turns out not having our most important player impacted our performances.

Who knew?

The most impressive thing is that he makes strikers change their minds. Pukki had a couple of chances to run him and you could see him think ‘fuck that’. 

• Upvote 1