You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I reckon his absence and how we've done proves that he is our most important player. We badly miss Henderson when he's out as well and obviously Alisson but without VVD we have just been 'very good also rans' pretty much like we were before we signed him. 

Agreed. Ties in perfectly with the fact we couldn't win fuck all before he got here.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I reckon his absence and how we've done proves that he is our most important player. We badly miss Henderson when he's out as well and obviously Alisson but without VVD we have just been 'very good also rans' pretty much like we were before we signed him. 

Alongside Salah for my money; one transformed the attack, the other the defence. That’s not to say there weren’t other factors - I’m not sure we’d have enjoyed a CL and Premier League win were it not for Fabinho and Alisson joining them in the summer of 2018 - but Van Dijk and Salah are the big ones. Losing either for an extended period / permanently fucks us over unless the owners spring for a money-is-no-object, world class replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm Klopp and the coaching staff I'm telling the social media guys and the club site to stop posting these pics of Joe and Virg' looking like they're close to a comeback. It isn't going to be for us this season. Don't wanna be be giving that dick Southgate or the Dutch any ideas with the Euros coming up. Shut it down, stop talking about it and let's have them both fresh and raring to go in August. 

• Upvote 4

Is the right decision. Agreed, the lad must be gutted at how he was crippled by that cunt. How many of our players have been put out of action and forced into a major lay off by those yarddogs?

Hendo needs to come out and do the same and say he isnt available for the Euros even though he knows it will be his last major international championship.

Trent also needs to phone in sick for the Euros as well as Ive a sneaky feeling Southgate will call him up due to the increased squads they're allowed.

He could have gone to the Euros and possibly broken down again having rushed his recovery in a desperate attempt to play for his country in an international tournament for the first time. Opting out and choosing to focus on getting back stronger is the smart move, and one that will help extend his career and compete at the highest level for longer. The Dutch will most likely qualify for the next World Cup, so that's the international tournament to aim for.

• Upvote 1

Mo, take fucking note

I'll be pissed off if he gives up preseason and the first week or two of the season to go to Japan for the Olympics. Especially with Japan still struggling with covid rates still a issue there

• 2 months later...