You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

51 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wonder if we will have a 'club vs country' row over him playing in the Euro's? 

I'm not arsed about International football, but do feel a bit gutted for him if he misses it as he's never played a major International tournament. 

There's no way he can be allowed to play in the euros. Its fucking horrible I know but he's not going to be anywhere near fit as it takes at least 7 months (and even that's considered too early) to recover and then he has to get fit. 7 months from now is end of May with the euros starting Jun 11th. There's plenty of evidence to prove that re injury is near guaranteed if a player comes back too early. For our sake and his, he's better off to target preseason and go from there

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/414077-virgil-van-dijk-undergoes-successful-surgery

Op complete, no timeline so there saying there is a chance for Saturday. 

Just been for physio myself and got talking to the physio about this,   he said the operation probably only took between 45 minutes and an hour and that Vvd Should come back fine , they will try and straighten the leg asap and get him working on his recovery at Melwood straight away but he reckoned would be out for anything between 7-9 months 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Good news about Virgil's surgery although the thought of it makes me queasy. Having your knee opened up and the ligaments stitched back on? Urgh!

I think we'll be lucky to see the boy play again before September next year.

It's all key hole surgery now DS they take a ligament from another part of the leg I'd imagine he's  probably under a general anesthetic 

• Upvote 1

I had mine done about 4 years ago after fucking it playing 5 a side. They used the tissue from my hamstring to create the new ligament. The difference between us mere mortals and professional footballers is obviously massive. It took me about 8 months to get a scan, diagnosis and then finally surgery. The GP won’t even refer you for an MRI these days as it costs too much. Still an absolute cunt to recover from. Took about a year.

• Upvote 2

I think klopp likes to get them some minutes in this season to give them something to shoot for, I'm pretty sure he did it with Ings and chamberlain, but they were just run outs. I'm sure if the time lines are there we'll get him on the pitch, but I suspect the time lines aren't there. And as for the Euros, if he's fit and wants to go, stopping him will only fuck him off. We just need to work with the Dutch and make sure he's not overused. 

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

That is amazing. Who'd be an orthopaedic surgeon? I'd be terrified holding a scalpel like that on someone's ligaments, knowing that one slip 1-2 mm to one side and his career is over.

Wasn't that one of the biggest problem e Ronaldo had (the fat one) when he did his knee playing for Inter, supposedly they had a hard time getting a surgeon with the Bollock to take the gig on. At least when I was a kid that was t rumour anyway.... 

• 1 month later...