You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Really good article by Shearer that. I'm worried we might not see the same Van Dijk again, but you always have that worry with these injuries. The things that give me optimism is that he's a defender, not an attacker. Some players have lost that little bit of pace after injuries, and if you're a Fowler or an Owen you miss that, it shows, and you have to change your game a bit. 

Van Dijk's skills aren't based around his pace, he's not a Thuram, his is around his positioning and strength, especially in the air, and a knee injury won't make you lose any of that. Hyppia was slower than me, and he was still the best centre back we'd had for years. 

I think the science has moved on too, there's so much money in sport now that there's no expense spared in repairing the damage to these kinds of injuries. Players are fitter, leaner, look after themselves better (we'd never have a situation years ago where players were playing well into their 30s). 

The biggest thing he's got going for him though is his attitude. He's a pro, he's an optimist, he isn't going to do a Gazza and sink into a dark place, he'll already be champing at the bit to get this show on the road and come back stronger. It's a close group of players, great manager and professional off the pitch now too in terms of the calibre of experts we've got in the sports science side of things, he's probably at the best club in the world for this particular grim jouney.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

8E103E4E-F137-4FF6-9AB6-7FA64150314B.png

That's some good news for the lad and us! Still think he's going to be out for the season and even then, he's going to beeased back into the team. That twat pickford should chuck a few more goals in for us in the next 2 or 3 derbies after what he's done to a fellow pro.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That's some good news for the lad and us! Still think he's going to be out for the season and even then, he's going to beeased back into the team. That twat pickford should chuck a few more goals in for us in the next 2 or 3 derbies after what he's done to a fellow pro.

he is not in the premier league squad, so it would seem pretty certain he is not playing again this year. 

33 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

It’s Virg, he’s made of girders and sexy as a twat leaking bourbon. He’ll return for the champions league final and carry that trophy and the premier league one onto our parade bus.

His 5 games qualify him for a premier league medal, yes?

12 hours ago, aRdja said:

This is a good point. The likes of Harry Kane, Jimenez and Benteke have been non-entities in the games against us since Van Dijk joined. 

We'll struggle more against the teams who play non stop percentage football and hope for set pieces. If Matip was fit, that would be a big help against those teams, though.

On 22/10/2020 at 10:59, Barrington Womble said:

he is not in the premier league squad, so it would seem pretty certain he is not playing again this year. 

That can be changed after the January window. Although it’d be very surprised if he’s included in that either. 

On 21/10/2020 at 20:00, No2 said:

Michael Owen just said he thinks Trent will suffer badly from missing Virgil. I actually think it could be the opposite. Team's clearly choose to target the Trent/Gomez combo rather than Virgil/Robbo. With Virgil gone Trent will now have more experience right beside him in Matip and Gomez/Robbo doesn't have the same look of invincibility about it so teams should start spreading the attacking threat.

Could suffer in an attacking sense as Virg is always pinging those cross field passes to Trent.

There is only 1 upside to Virg being injured and that’s the opportunity other players will be given to stand up and show what their leadership as well now. We’re missing our 3rd captain & given the number of games Hendo has missed and Milner not started, you could easily be forgiven thinking he was the captain.

Virg out, Milner and Gini likely to leave in May.... other players need to step up and show their leadership as well. 

50 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

That’s how I see it.

not sure if he has it (certainly been in the UK long enough) but if he had citizenship would that make any difference?

I don't think nationality has anything to do with it. I think it's to do with where you played your football until you were 21. I might be wrong though, but I seem to remember they couldn't make it about nationality as that broke EU freedom of movement laws. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think nationality has anything to do with it. I think it's to do with where you played your football until you were 21. I might be wrong though, but I seem to remember they couldn't make it about nationality as that broke EU freedom of movement laws. 

Ah fair enough 

#LFC injury update: Joël Matip & Thiago Alcântara both available for selection on Saturday. Naby Keïta struggling with a muscle problem, not illness. Virgil van Dijk has had successful surgery on knee injury in Cromwell, London. He will not play again this season. #exLFCemployee

6 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

#LFC injury update: Joël Matip & Thiago Alcântara both available for selection on Saturday. Naby Keïta struggling with a muscle problem, not illness. Virgil van Dijk has had successful surgery on knee injury in Cromwell, London. He will not play again this season. #exLFCemployee

Pickford's cavalier attitude to tackling means this will take me some time to get my head round.

25 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

That fucking Pickford cunt.