You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Pickford is such a cunt. 

Gini summed it up perfectly. He might not have gone in looking to hurt Virgil, but he went in not giving a shit about the consequences. He's a total fucking idiot. 

It's beyond reckless, and for it to happen to one of the worlds best players is a total injustice. Virgil loses a year of his career and might never be the same player again. 

Her brother has just knocked to say hello from the front with the kids in the car. He's a blue. I wasn't gonna mention the game but he brought it up. I said it was a disgrace and Pickford should have been sent off. "Yeah but Pickford did have his eyes on the ball the whole time" On the offside "His sleeve was off we would have had the right to be fuming if it was given" on Richarlison (This was the best one) "Your players had been winding him up all game it was inevitable he was going to react" 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

yeah but it's a question of complications the more damage is done and if he comes back the same. it might not be a popular opinion, but personally i think chamberlain is done at the top level. he doesn't look the same player to me at all. I am not saying he can't be a decent player somewhere, but he doesn't look like anyone who should be getting significant game time at a top half club any more. for example, i don't think he would get a game for everton or wolves if they're full strength.

That's true, but virgil doesn't need to do as much as the ox needs to do in midfield. He barely breaks a sweat in most games. His pace will suffer a bit but he doesn't use it much nowadays anyway, unless it's in an emergency. I think and hope that given he did walk off, any ancillary damage should be well healed by then. Both the medial and lateral ligaments have excellent blood supply and can heal fully even without surgery. 

7 minutes ago, niallers said:

That's true, but virgil doesn't need to do as much as the ox needs to do in midfield. He barely breaks a sweat in most games. His pace will suffer a bit but he doesn't use it much nowadays anyway, unless it's in an emergency. I think and hope that given he did walk off, any ancillary damage should be well healed by then. Both the medial and lateral ligaments have excellent blood supply and can heal fully even without surgery. 

hopefully it'll be all good. it just feels like one bad news story after another. 

• Like 1

Medial and lateral ligaments can only take up to 8 weeks to heal even if fully ruptured. However, if they are damaged, they may repair them whilst doing the main surgery to help stabilise the joint. I suppose, any damage that has been done besides the acl isn't helpful. I hope he doesn't try to rush back for the euros. That's right on the threshold for recovery time, but i wouldn't want him to be going into highly competitive football without a proper period of rehab before hand

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

How times change, i done medial, cruciate and lateral as a kid, still feel it now, knee used to give way when i played after... 

I've done my acl myself, and that after having a grade 2 tear on it for ten years and 3 further meniscus surgeries before that, and 3 meniscus surgeries on my other knee and that still has another grade 2 tear on it i got  in my first game back, 6 months after my initial injury. Fucking cursed i am and i still feel them all. Fucking Sunday league football! 

Luckily for virgil, he'll have the best medicinal support money can buy before and after!

Michael Owen just said he thinks Trent will suffer badly from missing Virgil. I actually think it could be the opposite. Team's clearly choose to target the Trent/Gomez combo rather than Virgil/Robbo. With Virgil gone Trent will now have more experience right beside him in Matip and Gomez/Robbo doesn't have the same look of invincibility about it so teams should start spreading the attacking threat.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, No2 said:

Michael Owen just said he thinks Trent will suffer badly from missing Virgil. I actually think it could be the opposite. Team's clearly choose to target the Trent/Gomez combo rather than Virgil/Robbo. With Virgil gone Trent will now have more experience right beside him in Matip and Gomez/Robbo doesn't have the same look of invincibility about it so teams should start spreading the attacking threat.

Yeah, I was thinking just that when he said it. And if fabinho carries on in the right side slot, he's another who just has a calmness about him. I would deffo say while we as a team are undoubtedly weaker without vvd, the gap between Trent and Gomez/matip was the obvious one of the 3 to exploit in our back line. Now all 3 gaps between defenders are probably equal, which while it may mean a team can play to their own strengths and target the pair that suits them, it probably leaves Trent much quieter than normal..which he probably needs right now as he's had a quiet start to the season..

4 hours ago, No2 said:

Trent and Virgil don't even play the same side. Only time he'll miss him is set pieces because he's the person we always aim them at. 

To be honest, the only thing I'm worried about with van Dijk out are teams bullying us in the air and injuries to other defenders. 

50 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Trent and Virgil don't even play the same side. Only time he'll miss him is set pieces because he's the person we always aim them at. 

To be honest, the only thing I'm worried about with van Dijk out are teams bullying us in the air and injuries to other defenders. 

This is a good point. The likes of Harry Kane, Jimenez and Benteke have been non-entities in the games against us since Van Dijk joined.