You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

9 hours ago, aRdja said:

Losing Virgil for the season is the worst outcome anyone could ask for really. He’s irreplaceable. He’s dominant in both boxes. He sets the tempo at the back. His pace also allows us to play with a high line.

Joe Gomez has pace, but Matip is slower. Matip is decent (thought not dominant) in the air but Gomez is average there. They’re both okay passers, but neither possesses the passing range Virgil offers. More importantly, Virgil is the leader at the back.. Joe and Matip are decent defenders but neither is a leader. It’s a nightmare scenario.  As bad as it gets

8 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

Yeah losing that passing range from the back is going to hurt our quick breaks forward

I think both of you will be surprised by Gomez' long-passing skills and accuracy if he takes over on the LCB. Normally our switching of play is done by Trent to Robbo, or Virgil to trent. Gomez can do Virgil's job there competently. Starting quick breaks along the ground shouldn't be a problem either, especially once Thiago is back. Both Matip and Gomez are just as capable at threading the ball between the lines. My main concern is the aerial threat until Allison is back and the lack of communication/leadership. Both Glmez and Matip need to step up in that regard.

1 minute ago, lebron said:

I think both of you will be surprised by Gomez' long-passing skills and accuracy if he takes over on the LCB. Normally our switching of play is done by Trent to Robbo, or Virgil to trent. Starting quuck breaks along the gflund shluldn't be a problem either, especially once Thiago is back. My main concern is the aerial threat until Allison is back and the lack of communication/leadership. Both Glmez and Matip need to step up in that regard.

Did you have hiccups there?

39 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's no shock there. If it's been seen by the officials, they don't review. It was clearly seen by the officials as they were reviewing the offside for a pen. The simplest outcome is sack Coote. Any referee who sees that and gives nothing is clearly incompetent. 

Coote has done very similar mistakes before. Proven incompetent, and possibly biased. Dont expect any actions there, except maybe a short rest for him. He’ll be back soon enough to make new glaring mistakes.

So they tell players to play to the whistle, then tell officials to put the whistle away until the latest possible moment, then say all that occurs in between is void due to the retrospective whistle that should've theoretically been blown already. 

What. A. Farce.  

8 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

After a day of being livid, and a bit mopey, I've decided we'll be alright.

Pickford's just the goon who's pistol whipped The A-Team and locked them in an outbuilding. Klopp, however, will spy the tractor, propane tanks, sheet metal, and a curiously handy supply of welding equipment that is our squad. Cue exterior shot of our war bastard bursting through the doors, all patched up defence and rocket launchers up top.

*play theme tune

Henderson driving flat out, Thiago spraying M16 passes, and Matip strapped to the front like Tom Hardy in Fury Road. When the dust settles we've won the league, and Klopp's smoking a cigar.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Great post.

85E6BACF-CA8F-43EF-8E43-9CC6F9A83C33.gif

20 minutes ago, A_S said:

So they tell players to play to the whistle, then tell officials to put the whistle away until the latest possible moment, then say all that occurs in between is void due to the retrospective whistle that should've theoretically been blown already. 

What. A. Farce.  

Linespeople have been told not to flag close offsides immediately and late the move play out. Yet at the Etihad Aubameyang was flagged offside straight away as he was about to go through on goal. Replays showed it was not just close.... he was onside. Go figure, as our American friends might say.

37 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Coote has done very similar mistakes before. Proven incompetent, and possibly biased. Dont expect any actions there, except maybe a short rest for him. He’ll be back soon enough to make new glaring mistakes.

I would imagine this is why LFC have asked for a review. 

33 minutes ago, A_S said:

What. A. Farce.  

That's not the reason Pickford didn't get sent off. The only thing that changes because it was offside is the offence for the red is no longer "serious foul play" and becomes "violent conduct". Pickford didn't get sent off because Coote didn't think it warranted it. 

9 hours ago, skaro said:

@Babb'sBurstNad... speaking of bastardising Shakespeare, mercantile-style, here's one of my latest for you to pan:

https://www.johnskaro.com/toyota-genuine-parts

Those are great mate. If you ever get a contract for a holidays season STD infomercial, I'd like to pitch something to the tune of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

Interior scene: A worried woman sat in a clinic, writing down names and contact details. She shifts in her seat, uncomfortably.

She's making a list

She's checking it twice

It's not the herpes

It's worse than lice

Gonorrhoea's making her frown

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A_S said:

What. A. Farce.  

Richarlison was sent after the whistle had been blown.

I'd bin VAR but if it is to stay then we must go back to officials refereeing the game as they used to with the guy in the truck stepping in only when there has been a clear and obvious error. Even then they should refer the ref to a screen so he can be seen to be the guy making the decision.

• Upvote 1