You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

1 hour ago, Red Banjo said:

Ta lad, its good to be back.

Been meaning to get back amongst it for a while but... err... life and shit.

Now, did I mention Pickford is a cunt yet?

Gutted.

I was out dancing in the street the day you finally fucked off.

Some serious underrating of Gomez going on in this thread (and other threads). At times last year he played as well as Vvd. He's even more vital to our team now as there's no way we van play the high press with Matip/Fab at CB. I also think both Gomez and Matip are just as good at bringing the ball out of defence, and they are probably more incisive with their passong along the floor. Virgil probably has an even better passing range/variety, but Gomez is no slouch with the long passes either. I fully expect him to take over the mantle from Virgil in the coming months in that respect.

Anyway, it's Gomez +1 for as long as Vvd is out for me.

I also think there's a slight bit of overreacting going on regarding our title chances. I'm devastated for Virgil, but not really worried regarding our defence. That needed tightening up anyway, and was more of a systemic issue. Once Allison returns I honestly think we' ll be fine.

---------------Allison----------------

Trent-Matip-Gomez-Robbo

is still the best back 5 in the league.

Add a mix of Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Gini, Mane, Salah, Bobby, Diego and we're still the best team in the league. We might not win by more than 20 pts, but I still see us as clear favorites for the title

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lebron said:

Some serious underrating of Gomez going on in this thread (and other threads). At times last year he played as well as Vvd. He's even more vital to our team now as there's no way we van play the high press with Matip/Fab at CB. I also think both Gomez and Matip are just as good at bringing the ball out of defence, and they are probably more incisive with their passong along the floor. Virgil probably has an even better passing range/variety, but Gomez is no slouch with the long passes either. I fully expect him to take over the mantle from Virgil in the coming months in that respect.

I also think there's a slight bit of overreacting going on regarding our title chances. I'm devastated for Virgil, but not really worried regarding our defence. That needed tightening up anyway, and was more of a systemic issue. Once Allison returns I honestly think we' ll be fine.

Trent-Matip-Gomez-Robbo

Add a mix of Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Gi iMane, Salah, Bobby, Diego and we're still the best team in the league. We might not win by more than 20 pts, but I still see us as clear favorites for the title

I'm not sure what you're seeing in Gomez to be honest. He's always been pretty slack at holding his position and is pretty shocking in the air, so bad we don't even send him up for corners. He used to be good at using his pace in recovery, but that spark seems to be gone now, I certainly don't recall it since lockdown. In fact the last time I recall thinking he had an absolute top game was the fa cup derby last season, where I felt he led the team. 

Fair enough you think he's good - I guess we'll see where is talent is over the coming months, like it or not, if he's fit, he plays for the rest of the season (same with matip imo). I hope you're right as we're going to have a tough time if I am. 

8 minutes ago, lebron said:

Trent-Matip-Gomez-Robbo

Add a mix of Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Gini, Mane, Salah, Bobby, Diego and we're still the best team in the league. We might not win by more than 20 pts, but I still see us as clear favorites for the title

This is what I like, positivity.

Losing Virgil is a blow but I dont see it as being fatal to retaining the title or another trophy. As far as the league is concerned, results are all over the shop. Who'd have thought Villa would have won 4 out of 4 never mind beat us 7-2?

Both chelsea and spurs threw away leads at the weekend. city beat arsenal, we're 3rd.

1 hour ago, Red Banjo said:

Ta lad, its good to be back.

Been meaning to get back amongst it for a while but... err... life and shit.

Now, did I mention Pickford is a cunt yet?

I've just checked... you've been gone since January 2017, when we drew with Man U and our starting line-up was

Mignolet

Alexander-Arnold

Lovren

Klavan

Milner

Henderson

Lallana

Can

Wijnaldum

Firmino

Origi

Someone might need to fill you in on what's happened since then.

Not it!

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've just checked... you've been gone since January 2017, when we drew with Man U and our starting line-up was

Mignolet

Alexander-Arnold

Lovren

Klavan

Milner

Henderson

Lallana

Can

Wijnaldum

Firmino

Origi

Someone might need to fill you in on what's happened since then.

Not it!

We won some stuff.. that sums it up

Losing Virgil for the season is the worst outcome anyone could ask for really. He’s irreplaceable. He’s dominant in both boxes. He sets the tempo at the back. His pace also allows us to play with a high line.

Joe Gomez has pace, but Matip is slower. Matip is decent (thought not dominant) in the air but Gomez is average there. They’re both okay passers, but neither possesses the passing range Virgil offers. More importantly, Virgil is the leader at the back.. Joe and Matip are decent defenders but neither is a leader. It’s a nightmare scenario.  As bad as it gets

• Upvote 1

After a day of being livid, and a bit mopey, I've decided we'll be alright.

Pickford's just the goon who's pistol whipped The A-Team and locked them in an outbuilding. Klopp, however, will spy the tractor, propane tanks, sheet metal, and a curiously handy supply of welding equipment that is our squad. Cue exterior shot of our war bastard bursting through the doors, all patched up defence and rocket launchers up top.

*play theme tune

Henderson driving flat out, Thiago spraying M16 passes, and Matip strapped to the front like Tom Hardy in Fury Road. When the dust settles we've won the league, and Klopp's smoking a cigar.

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Pickford's just the goon who's pistol whipped The A-Team and locked them in an outbuilding. Klopp, however, will spy the tractor, propane tanks, sheet metal, and a curiously handy supply of welding equipment that is our squad. Cue exterior shot of our war bastard bursting through the doors, all patched up defence and rocket launchers up top.

*play theme tune

Henderson driving flat out, Thiago spraying M16 passes, and Matip strapped to the front like Tom Hardy in Fury Road. When the dust settles we've won the league, and Klopp's smoking a cigar.

When are you opening that production company, Babb's, I've got a couple of ads for you to shoot!

https://www.healio.com/news/orthopedics/20200709/comparable-outcomes-seen-for-bridgeenhanced-acl-repair-autograft-acl-reconstruction

This is a new technique being used and its hopeful that it will replace the methods currently used to repair a torn cruciate, the hamstring graft, the patellar graft or a donor graft from a dead person!

Results show that it's just as strong as traditional surgeries and you don't have to weaken your own body to do it. 

I wonder if it's being considered for top athletes yet.

6 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

*play theme tune

Well that's cheered me up.

A bit.

10 hours ago, Alex_K said:

We just rode into Goodison against their best 11 in years and made them our utter bitch. A swarve, stylish Italian coach adorned with European cups reduced to depending upon the thuggery of his players to snatch a point. How very Evertonian.

They may well steal 4th but they are pond scum and no trophies will grace that mantlepiece.

I don't believe that  Ancelotti was behind attempts to ruin players careers. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's no shock there. If it's been seen by the officials, they don't review. It was clearly seen by the officials as they were reviewing the offside for a pen. The simplest outcome is sack Coote. Any referee who sees that and gives nothing is clearly incompetent. 

Wont happen either I'd wager. Fucking cunts.