You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I hope so, I mentioned it earlier that if we keep all our other key players fit we may be ok. 

Klopp and his team have really got their work cut out now though!

Yeah, its a pretty poor league. City are the weakest they've been in years, and no other teams have really stepped forward (both Spurs & Chelsea have improved elements of their game, but both sides regressed massively in defence - all other teams are much of a muchness). If we finish ahead of City we win, little doubt of that. We'll definitely need to adapt our game though in absence of VVD (who wouldn't?!).

Went to the Uffzi today - VVD's injury felt akin to Botticelli's pock marked good-for-nothing artistic-pretendor neighbour stamping on his hand.

The most notable act Pickford will ever commit is stealing a year from the career of the greatest centre back that ever lived. It is so utterly Evertonian in its nature its almost poetic.

17 minutes ago, Red Banjo said:

Not much to add to this except Jordan Pickford is a bad shithouse and a thick cunt to boot. Interesting what bollocks the PL come out with tomorrow to try and save face for their clearly corrupt referee's.

A very welcome back RB

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's first choice at Leicester who will play in Europe, ffs. He'd have been 4th choice here and may not have wanted that/we'd never pay 30m+. What is so hard to understand about that concept?

It’s difficult to grasp how a first choice CB was on the bench in their last league game when they played wirh 3 CBs.

It was his first start for Leicester today, and I was under the illusion that the reason for that was that two of the three CBs that started the previous game are injured. As is Wes Morgan.

I was also under the illusion that we, like Leicester, played in Europe.

He says he wanted to join Leicester because he can learn so much from the manager and the players at the club. I’m stupid enough to think we could’ve matched that as well. And I also find it difficult to grasp that there isn’t a handful of other good young CBs out there the English and World Champions could’ve signed if they wanted to.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

It’s difficult to grasp how a first choice CB was on the bench in their last league game when they played wirh 3 CBs.

It was his first start for Leicester today, and I was under the illusion that the reason for that was that two of the three CBs that started the previous game are injured. As is Wes Morgan.

I was also under the illusion that we, like Leicester, played in Europe.

He says he wanted to join Leicester because he can learn so much from the manager and the players at the club. I’m stupid enough to think we could’ve matched that as well. And I also find it difficult to grasp that there isn’t a handful of other good young CBs out there the English and World Champions could’ve signed if they wanted to.

People sure love to speculate over pure fantasy. Sorry but there is not a world in which we would have decided to pay 30m for a 19 year old kid to be our 4th choice CB, especially in a pandemic, especially when that kid will get tonnes of games at Leicester and before van Dijk's injury, wouldn't have got a game here for 6 months.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

People sure love to speculate over pure fantasy. Sorry but there is not a world in which we would have decided to pay 30m for a 19 year old kid to be our 4th choice CB, especially in a pandemic, especially when that kid will get tonnes of games at Leicester and before van Dijk's injury, wouldn't have got a game here for 6 months.

This 4th choice reasoning bollocks really does my fucking head in. You don't buy a player to be 4th choice. You buy a player to challenge the players you already have.

Gomez has been shite for months. He's also injury prone. Matip is boss, but unfortunately he's made of glass.

As glad as I was we signed Thiago and Jota, I would have easily swapped them for a quality keeper and centre back even before the game yesterday.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

This 4th choice reasoning bollocks really does my fucking head in. You don't buy a player to be 4th choice. You buy a player to challenge the players you already have.

Gomez has been shite for months. He's also injury prone. Matip is boss, but unfortunately he's made of glass.

As glad as I was we signed Thiago and Jota, I would have easily swapped them for a quality keeper and centre back even before the game yesterday.

Instead of signing a world class midfielder and much needed forward, you'd have rather we signed a 4th CB and a backup keeper? Congrats, out of all the dumb stuff that's been said since Virgil's injury, that takes the cake. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think you are the one speciulating, by stating he will be first choice at Leicester as if it was a fact. The fact is he started his first game today. 

The point about the financial situation is fair enough, and if that is the reason we didnt strengthen the squad with another CB, then it’s at least some logic too it. Still think it was a wrong decision, as pointed out by many on this forum over a long period of time it was very obvious area we needed to invest.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Instead of signing a world class midfielder and much needed forward, you'd have rather we signed a 4th CB and a backup keeper? Congrats, out of all the dumb stuff that's been said since Virgil's injury, that takes the cake. 

Handing out personal insults wont make you any more right. Reasonable argumennts for signing another CB has been brought forward by a number of posters on here for months.

You have another opinion, which is fine by me.

4 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Handing out personal insults wont make you any more right. Reasonable argumennts for signing another CB has been brought forward by a number of posters on here for months.

You have another opinion, which is fine by me.

I didn't insult the guy, I said he said something dumb, which it was. I think most of the opinions that have been put forward following van Dijk's injury are bad and I've said so, but I haven't called anyone stupid. So, I mean, I don't see the problem is. 

If we're talking about going to the market now, what is it we need?  A good CB, or a leader, someone who can ping passes, or great recovery pace, or aerial domination, or all?  And if so, what does that mean for Virgil? 

Do we spend big, or do we look for a sub £40m solution? 

Do we pick up a project, or a finished article? 

Do we gamble on Virgil returning to full fitness or do we plan for him not being the same, and recurring niggles from now on? 

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I didn't insult the guy, I said he said something dumb, which it was. I think most of the opinions that have been put forward following van Dijk's injury are bad and I've said so, but I haven't called anyone stupid. So, I mean, I don't see the problem is. 

I wasn't going to respond, but just seen you just said dumb twice now in terms of what I said and I'm not going to let that go.

You have the audacity to call me dumb and you still don't get it ha ha ha?

You're still saying 4th choice centre back, so that make you the dumb one.

I said GIVEN THE CHOICE because both positions are VITAL given everything I said in terms of Adrian and our defence.

What makes Gomez or Matip automatic partner to Virg? One is in horrific form and has been fucking shite and the other cannot be relied upon because of his fitness.

You buy a quality centre back to improve your squad depth and quality of options. Not to make up the fucking numbers.

I don't know if you've noticed but we can't defend for shit. 11 goals in 5 games. Shitloads of goals conceeded in pre-season and and before.

Lovren was shit. I had no problem with him going. I did have a massive fucking problem with not replacing him.

Keeper is different as there is only one position. You still however need 50 x better than bag of nerves Adrian.

Anyways, I can't be fucked to argue with can't see the bigger picture and doesn't 'get it', so please don't fucking respond.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

If we're talking about going to the market now, what is it we need?  A good CB, or a leader, someone who can ping passes, or great recovery pace, or aerial domination, or all?  And if so, what does that mean for Virgil? 

Do we spend big, or do we look for a sub £40m solution? 

Do we pick up a project, or a finished article? 

Do we gamble on Virgil returning to full fitness or do we plan for him not being the same, and recurring niggles from now on? 

Going to be a tough one, this.

I think the plan was to try to get Upamecano in next summer when his release clause kicks in (37m I think?). Now I don't know. Can we go to Leipzig and try to offer them 50m and say "take the extra 13m to give him to us in January instead of waiting"? Probably depends on what's going on with their season at that point.

18 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I wasn't going to respond, but just seen you just said dumb twice now in terms of what I said and I'm not going to let that go.

You have the audacity to call me dumb and you still don't get it ha ha ha?

You're still saying 4th choice centre back, so that make you the dumb one.

I said GIVEN THE CHOICE because both positions are VITAL given everything I said in terms of Adrian and our defence.

What makes Gomez or Matip automatic partner to Virg? One is in horrific form and has been fucking shite and the other cannot be relied upon because of his fitness. So

You buy a quality centre back to improve your squad depth and quality of options. Not to make up the fucking numbers.

I don't know if you've noticed but we can't defend for shit. 11 goals in 5 games. Shitloads of goals conceeded in pre-season and and before.

Keeper is different as there is only one position. You still however need 50 x better than bag of nerves Adrian.

Lovren was shit. I had no problem with him going. I did have a massive fucking problem with not replacing him.

Anyways, I can't be fucked to argue with can't see the bigger picture and doesn't 'get it', so please don't fucking respond.

For the last time, I didn't call you dumb, I said what you said was dumb. That's pretty clear, it's written in the post you quoted and if you can't see that, you may as well in fact be pretty dumb.

And yeah, I'll fucking respond. If you can't tell, I've got all day. 

Both Matip and Gomez have been significant contributors on Champions League and Premier League winning teams and they both have long term deals. Hence, they have Klopp's trust and it's obvious he doesn't view upgrading those two as worthwhile or as an easy thing to do.

And so as a result, the CB's we may have looked at, if we looked at any, would have been young and ones that we could develop. Pretty sure Jimmy Pearce mentioned Ben White and Ben Godfrey as options. Two young players with room to grow. One of them, White, my only memory of him this season is watching him get buried by Marcus Rashford and Godfrey just played right back for fucking Everton. So needless to say, none of those two are making up for a van Dijk injury in any way. Forgive me for preferring Thiago and a forward to those two or someone of that ilk.

But that's the realistic scenario. There are people who said we should have signed someone established like Koulibaly, which would be a fine suggestion if those people had any idea what our financial situation is and didn't live on Mars, as if that was ever gonna hapoen. 

Glad I could clear that up.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think the plan was to try to get Upamecano in next summer when his release clause kicks in (37m I think?). Now I don't know. Can we go to Leipzig and try to offer them 50m and say "take the extra 13m to give him to us in January instead of waiting"? Probably depends on what's going on with their season at that point.

Might need to offer them more if they are in the mix in the Bundesliga or chasing a champions league place. He looks class and if he is even worth 5 points to us in the second part of the season, he is worth it.

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

With not selling some of those fringe players and sticking some on 12 month loans, it would seem unlikely we will be in for anyone in January. Well except if we persuade 10m people to pay for the ppv next weekend.