You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, watching Spurs today they seem to have a nice balance now. Three solid central midfielders who don't do anything flashy (very different to when Ali would burst forward, or Eriksson was controlling games). Two good, but fairly ale house centre backs. Two quick fullbacks whose defensive limitations are mitigated by the midfield. Two quick, direct, forwards in Son and one of Lucas, Bergwijn, or Bale. Presumably the latter if/once he gets fit. A good if not great keeper. And then of course Kane who appears to have transformed from a quality number nine into fucking Roy of the Rovers.

Hmmm. I think you’ve forgotten to factor in that their defence is shite and they’re Spurs.

9 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Fucking nightmare. Hope something terrible happens to Prickford, the cunt. 

Hopefully we get reinforcements in Jan, having just Gomez and Matip as options at the back doesn't fill me with much confidence. 

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He’s Everton’s goal keeper, something terrible has happened.

... I was going to say get a new 5 year contract. 

4 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Carra sticking up for

T-rex Pickford on Sky and then even criticising Sounness for his viewpoint. Unsurprising.

How is carra possibly defending that?

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Carragher winding up Souey in the SSN studio about the pickford incident, telling him to 'behave' after the tackles he'd made!

No place for Carragher saying that right now. Virgil is a really good egg on and off the pitch. Pickford may not have meant to have injured Virgil to the extent he did, but he certainly wanted to put him out of the game. He's a thug.

Having said that neither Souey or Keane can lecture anyone about being out of order. I loved Souness as a player and I like them both as pundits but both were x rated for nastiness at times.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

No place for Carragher saying that right now. Virgil is a really good egg on and off the pitch. Pickford may not have meant to have injured Virgil to the extent he did, but he certainly wanted to put him out of the game. He's a thug.

Having said that neither Souey or Keane can lecture anyone about being out of order. I loved Souness as a player and I like them both as pundits but both were x rated for nastiness at times.

Those two did put it about, but it was at a time when the game was different and as long as you won the ball it wasn't a foul. That yesterday was a red in their day and when souness was playing virtually nobody got sent off. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Those two did put it about, but it was at a time when the game was different and as long as you won the ball it wasn't a foul. That yesterday was a red in their day and when souness was playing virtually nobody got sent off. 

Fair point that. I think in any era Pickford would have been castigated for thuggery.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

He is scared of Evertonians and Mancs saying he's a biased Liverpool pundit so goes out of his way to try to prove he isn't. 

I just can't possibly see how anyone can make a defence of it. Aside from the "karma" think on the Everton thread, I've not even heard evertonians defending it. What's he trying to say, it might have been mistaken identity and it could have been Pickford's twin brother, we just don't know?

47 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

Even if we did sign a replacement we would be in this mess. A replacement for Lovren is easy enough, finding one for VVD not possible.

No, it isnt the same situation. When people say sign a center back, they dont mean find one better than Van Dijk. We mean having one extra experienced CB so that we wont resort to throwing midfielders or kids back there for any extended period.

Top clubs go into a season with 4 centre backs at the minimum. We decided to do what City did last season. When they got fucked by Laporte getting injured and started playing Fernandinho there as a replacement. Well it didnt work for them and this season they ended up having to buy 2 new centre backs.

We shouldnt have left ourselves in a situation in which we are potentially replicating what happened to City last season. Especially when we know how injury prone one of our other CBs is. Even without Van Dijk's injury happening, it was always a daft thing having only 3 proper CBs in this shortened season, with so many games and fewer rest periods.

• Upvote 1

Carragher is as thick as pigshit. Don't know how many arses he licked to keep his poxy job after that spitting incident but he's ticking every box for his Liverpool bashing employers right now. He knows what it's like to be on the end of a damaging challenge, Lucas Neil doing him at Blackburn, so he might want to stop defending the indefensible.

As for Pickford, that particular 'tough guy' may be extending his lockdown a lot longer than the government's guidlines insist. He'll be safer.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

He is scared of Evertonians and Mancs saying he's a biased Liverpool pundit so goes out of his way to try to prove he isn't. 

You know what Neville gets the balance. Loves his club and hates when they're shit. He's able to give praise to us and City without licking up to us.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

No, it isnt the same situation. When people say sign a center back, they dont mean find one better than Van Dijk. We mean having one extra experienced CB so that we wont resort to throwing midfielders or kids back there for any extended period.

Top clubs go into a season with 4 centre backs at the minimum. We decided to do what City did last season. When they got fucked by Laporte getting injured and started playing Fernandinho there as a replacement. Well it didnt work for them and this season they ended up having to buy 2 new centre backs.

We shouldnt have left ourselves in a situation in which we are potentially replicating what happened to City last season. Especially when we know how injury prone one of our other CBs is. Even without Van Dijk's injury happening, it was always a daft thing having only 3 proper CBs in this shortened season, with so many games and fewer rest periods.

Fernandinho is 35, slow and had a player in Rodri replacing him in midfield that is above average at best.

Fabinho is a top class player in the prime of his career and we have a world class player in Thiago to take his place whenever we need him at the back. It's not the same thing at all.

There's nothing inherently wrong with playing a midfielder at CB, especially someone with the qualities Fabinho has. Football has moved on from every single player needing to play a single position since they were 5 years old to be good in that position. Bayern won the Champions League with a washed up Jerome Boateng and a left back in central defense. They had nothing else there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Carragher saying it didn’t matter if he was sent off or not of course it fucking did if he’d have gone then the over the top tackle Thiago (which incidentally nobody mentioned) doesn’t happen as he’d have been hooked when they went down to 10 men.

And then have a pop at Souness about the tackles he made, I mean what the fuck did that have to do with anything . .?

• Upvote 2

Yeah so like I was saying I knew it was a bad ACL injury the second I seen it.

We will be fine without him. A team with our forwards, fullbacks, midfield options turns to shit losing one player no matter how good then we've built a flimsy world class side. Sooner Alisson is back the better but this is football these things happen.

Its gutting though that a player as shit as pickford playing for the premier leagues most established dogshit football club can damage a player that's worth more than both of them.

• Upvote 1

Been a nervous wreck since after full time yesterday. I’m so devastated for Virgil primarily, literally at the peak of his powers. One of the greatest defenders to ever play the game and our leader. To be robbed of that by that ugly, inbred pikey is absolutely devastating. Can’t really express the anguish, the anger the frustration I’m feeling. Completely changes everything for us this season. Please god Virgil can come back at the level he was.

As I said at the start of the season, injuries will be key. HENDO has been frequently in and out, and now this, as well as Thiago. It’s not just VVD’s individual skill set we’ll miss, but his calming influence on the others at the back. Adrian will be 3ven more of a hot mess of zero confidence.

Klopp will be putting extra work into drilling the new combos. Let’s hope he’s successful.