You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Kept thinking of Jim Beglin this morning. Younger posters might see him as a slightly irritating pundit but he was a brilliant young defender butchered by an Everton player. At least then, there was a lot of sympathy for him in an era when they really were our rivals on the pitch.

Now, you just know that a large number of them are loving Pickford and Richarlison. 

Screen Sports Super Cup Final at the pit. Was at that game on the shitty terracing they had at the Park End in them days. The only difference between that and pickford's was that Beglin had to be carried off on a stretcher.

• Downvote 1

But remember guys they may celebrate our players getting injured but despite Alan Smith stating it never happened, they'll never attack an ambulance with an injured player in it like our fans did after Alan Smith got injured. 

Everton fans are compulsive liairs amd Tories. 

3 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

There's been some bad ones from both sides over the years to be fair, Steve McMahon on John Ebbrell where he injured himself was one and Jimmy Case on Geoff Nulty was another, but that one really was a shocker.

Still cringe now when I think of that one.  

Agreed Harry. I heard Jim Beglin a few times talking about how Ronnie Moran was great for him, but used to give him and the other young lads dogs abuse to essentially school them into what was expected as a Liverpool player. He said he knew he was in the shit when he saw Ronnie's paternal concern for him and he could see the worry etched on his face.

Jurgen was a bit like that yesterday being interviewed.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Screen Sports Super Cup Final at the pit. Was at that game on the shitty terracing they had at the Park End in them days. The only difference between that and pickford's was that Beglin had to be carried off on a stretcher.

League Cup game wasn't it?

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I missed that game. My blue mates and brothers said everyone went quiet where they were were when they realised how serious it was. Can't imagine what a packed Goodison would have been like yesterday. In an era of hooliganism (to be fair the derby was different) there was often more decency among fans than now. Maybe I'm wearing rose tinted glasses though!

4 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Its not like Pickford hasn't form for this either. Remember his tackle on Delle Ali before?  He needs a lengthy retrospective ban for this 

Agreed.

Let's hope that the powers that be do the right thing and punish the little shite and not turn a blind eye and favour the England goalkeeper.

41 minutes ago, Razoray said:

League Cup game wasn't it?

No. It was a competition during the European ban.

Maybe my memory is playing up. Could have sworn it was that game Beglin got crocked but he's on2 legs in this pic after the game!

https://footballwhispers.com/blog/the-trophy-that-nobody-wanted-the-screen-sports-super-cup/

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Kept thinking of Jim Beglin this morning. Younger posters might see him as a slightly irritating pundit but he was a brilliant young defender butchered by an Everton player. At least then, there was a lot of sympathy for him in an era when they really were our rivals on the pitch.

Now, you just know that a large number of them are loving Pickford and Richarlison. 

I was about 10 yards away from that in the enclosure, it was horrible, both the sound when it went and you could see his shin bone pushing up his shin pad 

53 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

No, it was the league cup. I was in the park end for the super cup (which was a strangely great night considering the shitness of the completion and getting played the season after it started) and the enclosure for the league cup. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was about 10 yards away from that in the enclosure, it was horrible, both the sound when it went and you could see his shin bone pushing up his shin pad 

We must have been stood right by eachother. I was right by it. Stood at the very front, right in line with where it happened. I didn't even notice at first and then my mate screamed out "eeeee look at his leg!" and then I saw it. Barely watched the rest of the game as I felt sick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

He was a weak link in a great side. Shame about the injury, I heard the crack from the top row of the top balcony.

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Leighton banes did a horror ninja tackle on Mane at home in 2017. He was lucky to escape injury from that 

He didn't escape from injury. He missed the rest of the season, about 7 games, and we limped over the line to qualify for the champions league.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dave u said:

We must have been stood right by eachother. I was right by it. Stood at the very front, right in line with where it happened. I didn't even notice at first and then my mate screamed out "eeeee look at his leg!" and then I saw it. Barely watched the rest of the game as I felt sick.

I was about level with the edge of the box and it didn't really go far back anyway as you know and the running track was maybe even smaller than now if that's possible. If I recall correctly, it happened about a yard or two from the corner of the pen area. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

No, it was the league cup. I was in the park end for the super cup (which was a strangely great night considering the shitness of the completion and getting played the season after it started) and the enclosure for the league cup. 

I remember that luckily I was in the Gwladys St so I didn’t see it as much as you guys .

I remember Alan Hansen saying the next day after Stevens and Everton defended the tackle (some things never change ) “apart from it being a mile high and an hour late it was fine” 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Me too. And of course it happens straight after the transfer window closes. Can’t even get Stephen fucking Caulker back in!

Hopefully he’s fit for the Euros and gets his match fitness back for the Dutch and is raring to go in time for August.