You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You gotta laugh at the criticism that follows the injuries of top players. "Well we should have bought another 75m CB on 200k wages to mitigate risk. We're just not prepared"

As @Aw Geez says, the real worry was always the frailty of his 2 partners. As I posted earlier, we basically had a plan that said we'll be alright if vvd stays fit. I understand that policy, because he does mostly stay fit. But ultimately you can't be shocked if some people are pissed off. There's plenty of people on this forum and beyond who were calling for another centre back to replace lovren. It's not like they're being smart after the fact. The same argument is true of the goalkeeping position, plenty were calling for a better alternative to Adrian (I wasn't one of them as I wasn't aware of a better keeper who'd be happy to be 2nd choice), but both of those issues have come to haunt us already. They weren't unforeseeable, they are perfectly legitimate concerns and I think a forum seems.to be a pretty smart place to come and air those concerns, especially as we don't have a fucking pub open anywhere. 

Oh, and I haven't seen anyone mention we should have spent 75m on a centre back. That's just something you're using to belittle those who foresaw this happening. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

Proper ACL rupture, like Ox or like Owen in the World Cuo, you’re not walking off like Virgil did. It looks like knee ligaments but the hope is it’s not that nature of injury.

Fingers crossed. Oxlade Chamberlain couldnt even move when he did his and owen basically twisted his body the other way when his studs got caught in the turf and was carried off.

Can anyone think of any top centre backs who’s ACL has gone?

I think it’s ruined or hampered a lot of attacking players careers down the years because it effected their pace and agility but Virg doesn’t completely rely on those things.  They’re probably the least important part of his game if anything.

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As @Aw Geez says, the real worry was always the frailty of his 2 partners. As I posted earlier, we basically had a plan that said we'll be alright if vvd stays fit. I understand that policy, because he does mostly stay fit. But ultimately you can't be shocked if some people are pissed off. There's plenty of people on this forum and beyond who were calling for another centre back to replace lovren. It's not like they're being smart after the fact. The same argument is true of the goalkeeping position, plenty were calling for a better alternative to Adrian (I wasn't one of them as I wasn't aware of a better keeper who'd be happy to be 2nd choice), but both of those issues have come to haunt us already. They weren't unforeseeable, they are perfectly legitimate concerns and I think a forum seems.to be a pretty smart place to come and air those concerns, especially as we don't have a fucking pub open anywhere. 

Oh, and I haven't seen anyone mention we should have spent 75m on a centre back. That's just something you're using to belittle those who foresaw this happening. 

Great post but its lost on some of these in here. 

"YOU'RE A TWAT" and "THIS FORUM WAS BETTER WHEN YOU WERN'T ON HERE" are just some of the ridiculous replies you get for wanting your club to have adequate cover in positions we have all been banging on about for a while now.

Well lets see how we do now if VDV is out for a while. Lets see if we can cope and retain the league with a flaky centre back and a man made of balsa.

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

People think they're geniuses for pointing out Matip gets injured and Gomez is a bit unproven. The club chose to back them a long time ago. The problem is that the club has extended both and Klopp believes in them, so what did people think, that he'd just toss them aside? That's the thing, the conversation is just unrealistic because the only possible move we can make is to buy a young player to develop or a more experienced stop gap

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

They’re the two best players in the world in their positions and our most expensive signings. 

Getting in better replacements (who none of us would have wanted to ever see on the pitch in an ideal world) would probably have meant not signing Thiago and/or Jota.

I wouldn’t criticise anybody at the club over what happened today. 

Not getting a 4th centre half when our 4th one last season played loads was IMO a risk that should not have been taken.

Especially in a season like this one where games are really condensed.

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Great post but its lost on some of these in here. 

"YOU'RE A TWAT" and "THIS FORUM WAS BETTER WHEN YOU WERN'T ON HERE" are just some of the ridiculous replies you get for wanting your club to have adequate cover in positions we have all been banging on about for a while now.

Well lets see how we do now if VDV is out for a while. Lets see if we can cope and retain the league with a flaky centre back and a man made of balsa.

I'm actually almost ok with the choices we've made. But I completely see why others are not.

I'm accepting of the idea we've gone with Adrian and while he's shite, is he much shitter than the keeper at the other end today and he's their 1st choice and England's number 1? Any self aware keeper would know they're not going to get past alisson, so their only chance is an injury and cup competitions we dislike so much we'd like to cancel. I don't think there's a need for a 3rd, we should be looking to a kid at that point imo. 

As for centre back, my view has been all along, if we'd have bought one at 12m quid with our buy to sell policy, he'd probably be of the quality that would put him behind fabinho there - a modern day version of kyriagos. So if vvd gets a long term injury, he's of almost no value. But I said a year ago I would have been happy to sell any 2 of the 3 of lovren/matip/Gomez and get a top class and physically robust centre back and go with 3 and a kid. The issue isn't going with 3 and make do and mend, it's going with the 3 we've got because it's the cheap option and we absolutely know 2 are flakey with injury and so if vvd gets injured we're fucked. And not just fucked at centre back, if we play fabinho there, we weaken our midfield. I've no issue with that for 1 or 2 games, but I'm absolutely certain if vvd doesn't play again this season fabinho will play more games at CB than 1 or both of Gomez & matip. 

I'm pretty sure that the signing of Thiago meant that Fabinho would be our 4th choice centre back. People talk about not replacing Lovren, but Lovren was a liability and Thiago didn't replace anyone.

Look at how much money clubs haven spent on centre backs in the past few years. The idea that we could sign someone who would be good enough and happy to be 4th choice centre back was fanciful. 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm accepting of the idea we've gone with Adrian and while he's shite, is he much shitter than the keeper at the other end today and he's their 1st choice and England's number 1? 

So it’s ok that our keeper is shit as long as theirs is? 

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

People think they're geniuses for pointing out Matip gets injured and Gomez is a bit unproven. The club chose to back them a long time ago. The problem is that the club has extended both and Klopp believes in them, so what did people think, that he'd just toss them aside? That's the thing, the conversation is just unrealistic because the only possible move we can make is to buy a young player to develop or a more experienced stop gap

And both of those things are options and worthy of discussion. This is a forum, we're here to discuss. As I've just put in my previous post, I actually take a half way position between what we've done and buying some stop gap crap. And if some people feel validated that they aired their fears in the summer and now those worst fears are unfolding in front of our eyes, it seems a pretty normal reaction on derby day would be "for fucks sake". And it doesn't take a genius to see matip is made glass, gomez is made of crisps and pretty ordinary to poor quality - so the idea of discussing why the club may not be addressing such obvious issues when till just weeks ago felt the club needed another centre back, again is that not a valid discussion point?  You seem to be suggesting we should shut the forum down and just put up a page "LFC get it all right and don't ever dare question or discuss them". 

And as for people thinking they're geniuses, I suggest next time you get the chance, take a little look in the mirror. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm pretty sure that the signing of Thiago meant that Fabinho would be our 4th choice centre back. People talk about not replacing Lovren, but Lovren was a liability and Thiago didn't replace anyone.

Look at how much money clubs haven spent on centre backs in the past few years. The idea that we could sign someone who would be good enough and happy to be 4th choice centre back was fanciful. 

Thiago replaced Adam lallana. The club's publicity news paper in fact said we financed Thiago's wages by saving the cost of lallanas wages. 

5 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We should have signed an up and coming CB, already good enough to challenge Gomez and Matip. This clearly was an important area to improve, and we chose not to. If we couldnt afford it, fair enough, but if Klopp and his team thought we didnt need it, well then I totally disagree.

This was my opinion before Lovren left as well, and it was the right decision to let him go, as he wasn’t good enough anyway, at least not the way we play.

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Ask yourself this. In the event of a long VVD injury who would you prefer playing centreback? Lovren or Fabinho?

Or ask yourself could that player competing with fabinho be anyone who wasn't lovren? Last season the manager believed lovren was the better choice, because he selected him there. It's not a view I subscribe to, but it's certainly one the manager would choose given the chance. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Thiago replaced Adam lallana. The club's publicity news paper in fact said we financed Thiago's wages by saving the cost of lallanas wages. 

Curtis Jones replaced Lallana. 

Lallana barely featured for us the past two seasons, Thiago was signed as a first choice player not a backup. I understand from the wages point of view, but Thiago isn't a direct replacement for Lallana, very different players. 

2 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

We should have signed an up and coming CB, already good enough to challenge Gomez and Matip. This clearly was an important area to improve, and we chose not to. If we couldnt afford it, fair enough, but if Klopp and his team thought we didnt need it, well then I totally disagree.

This was my opinion before Lovren left as well, and it was the right decision to let him go, as he wasn’t good enough anyway, at least not the way we play.

Who though? Genuinely interested who you think we could have got?

10 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Ask yourself this. In the event of a long VVD injury who would you prefer playing centreback? Lovren or Fabinho?

It didn't have to be Lovren did it.

Just a proper centre half rather than having to pull someobody from another area of the park and weakening that area too.

We could very easily given Matip's injury record be down to 1 recognised centre half soon and that is just not on for a club of our ambition and resources.

Yes a 4th choice centre half would likely be not all that, but when you only have 3 and no youth behind and one of the 3 has a really poor injury record you have to IMO have that 4th one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Curtis Jones replaced Lallana. 

Lallana barely featured for us the past two seasons, Thiago was signed as a first choice player not a backup. I understand from the wages point of view, but Thiago isn't a direct replacement for Lallana, very different players. 

Curtis jones was already at the club and playing games. He stepped up and I would say replaced Pedro Chiravella - he went past Chiravella during the last campaign which is why Chiravella is no longer at the club and left during the summer. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And both of those things are options and worthy of discussion. This is a forum, we're here to discuss. As I've just put in my previous post, I actually take a half way position between what we've done and buying some stop gap crap. And if some people feel validated that they aired their fears in the summer and now those worst fears are unfolding in front of our eyes, it seems a pretty normal reaction on derby day would be "for fucks sake". And it doesn't take a genius to see matip is made glass, gomez is made of crisps and pretty ordinary to poor quality - so the idea of discussing why the club may not be addressing such obvious issues when till just weeks ago felt the club needed another centre back, again is that not a valid discussion point?  You seem to be suggesting we should shut the forum down and just put up a page "LFC get it all right and don't ever dare question or discuss them". 

And as for people thinking they're geniuses, I suggest next time you get the chance, take a little look in the mirror. 

I'm talking about the absurdity that had we bought a 4th choice CB, that would have somehow protected us against van Dijk getting injured. It wouldn't because Virgil is special. Everyone knows that and it's why the people saying the club prepared poorly are just out of bounds. Now, if you want to say that Matip should've been sold, that's fine, but that wasn't gonna happen. So again, I don't know what the point is.