You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Oh ok. I think it's because I saw they have similar goal records at Liverpool and are/were both "second strikers" if you will.

Keegan was powerful, don’t get me wrong Bobby isn’t soft. They are/we’re both great players. Keegan drove forward, Bobby is more silky.

8 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Tough one, as this team has some contenders, but I'm going to rule them all out for now. Only the players I've seen I've counted - and to some extent remember, I don't really remember Hughes for example. I've done a 433 as it's the fashion these days. I realise Whelan won't be agreed with by many, but I thought he was brilliant. Such a great reader of the game - maybe he's a reflection of my age too, where I maybe didn't appreciate those attributes as a kid. 

Clem, Neal, kennedy, Hansen, lawrenson, souness, gerrard, Whelan, Barnes, Kenny, rush

But I think it's fair to say this side could challenge in a number of positions - Alisson, Trent if he matures as looks likely, Robbo, vvd, Salah, mane. Maybe even someone might be able to knock my Whelan out in midfield. 

Obviously there's been some other crackers along the way, especially in the forward positions where we've been spoilt, Fowler,  beardsley, Owen, Torres and Suarez the little cunt. Then players such as McMahon, Nicol and even molby, who I've maybe never seen a better passer of the ball, even though he'd never get a game today. And plenty before them too like Smith, McDermott and ray Kennedy. 

What's yours? 

That's a pretty incredible greatest 11. Not saying it would be the exact same as mine but up until last year, it would possibly be.  Like you say arguments galore and I could never be happy with my greatest eleven. Loved the mention for Cally by others and Crazy Horse is a candidate. Robbie Fowler and Torres were phenomenal as was so many others.

The thing with fans is that the "hollywood players" will always be remembered more than the players that do the less seen but equally important stuff. Terry Mac, Ronnie Whelan and Steve Nicol were magnificent players but the likes of Beardsley may appear more in a highlights reel. However, fairly sure if you asked the likes of Barnesy, the King, Rushy, Souey, Bob, Joe, Ronnie and Roy, they would have the likes of those three much higher in their estimation. It's like Gini nowadays. An absolutely terrific player who can go unnoticed because of the in your face brilliance of our front 3, virgil, ali, trent and robbo. Ask those lads and I'm sure they and Jurgen love Gini.

For my money, I think I would look to find a place for 2014 Suarez in my team with Rushy and The King. I'd possibly have Ali over Clem in that team and Virgil would come in for Lawro. The only ones certain are Barnes, Stevie, Jocky, Rushy, Souey and Kenny. Decisions galore on the other positions.

He was robbed of the Balon Do'r last year in the biggest robbery since the Lufthensa heist.

He's the player of the year this season, and the best player in the world by a chasm.

When you're right at the top with other great teams, titles change on very fine margins. This one turned on Van Dijk signing with us, instead of city.

If City had bought him in 2018, they would be the champions this year, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

That's a pretty incredible greatest 11. Not saying it would be the exact same as mine but up until last year, it would possibly be.  Like you say arguments galore and I could never be happy with my greatest eleven. Loved the mention for Cally by others and Crazy Horse is a candidate. Robbie Fowler and Torres were phenomenal as was so many others.

The thing with fans is that the "hollywood players" will always be remembered more than the players that do the less seen but equally important stuff. Terry Mac, Ronnie Whelan and Steve Nicol were magnificent players but the likes of Beardsley may appear more in a highlights reel. However, fairly sure if you asked the likes of Barnesy, the King, Rushy, Souey, Bob, Joe, Ronnie and Roy, they would have the likes of those three much higher in their estimation. It's like Gini nowadays. An absolutely terrific player who can go unnoticed because of the in your face brilliance of our front 3, virgil, ali, trent and robbo. Ask those lads and I'm sure they and Jurgen love Gini.

For my money, I think I would look to find a place for 2014 Suarez in my team with Rushy and The King. I'd possibly have Ali over Clem in that team and Virgil would come in for Lawro. The only ones certain are Barnes, Stevie, Jocky, Rushy, Souey and Kenny. Decisions galore on the other positions.

What does Mo Salah have to do to be considered ahead of Barnes do you reckon?  Or is it never happening?

I've just found this article from 2013 with a list of our all-time greatest central defenders.  I think it's a bit dubous even for that time - they've included that cunt Ruddock at Number 20.  Today we've got at least 4 who are far better than that dog-waste.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1802988-20-best-liverpool-central-defenders

"frequent struggles with his weight and fitness troubled the defender, and he left when the more professional regime of Gerard Houllier came in in 1998"

Fuck off.  Being a fat lazy shit never troubled him at all.

55 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He was robbed of the Balon Do'r last year in the biggest robbery since the Lufthensa heist.

He's the player of the year this season, and the best player in the world by a chasm.

When you're right at the top with other great teams, titles change on very fine margins. This one turned on Van Dijk signing with us, instead of city.

If City had bought him in 2018, they would be the champions this year, in my opinion.

Yep, and we probably wouldn't have won the Champions League last year, either. It was a genuinely transformative signing, and I reckon Guardiola thinks about it at least once a day.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Yep, and we probably wouldn't have won the Champions League last year, either. It was a genuinely transformative signing, and I reckon Guardiola thinks about it at least once a day.

A terrible, terrible choice of music*, but this is a tremendous video:

* The Kinks, I'm not like everybody else should have been the choice. That, or Smash mouth, why can't we be friends.

• Upvote 3

Not sure I agree re the music. I mean, yes, obviously it's terrible, but I honestly don't think a YouTube highlights compilation would feel right without it now. And fair play to whoever who did that video, they really nailed it on that front.

Getting back to Virj, is there anything he isn't top class at? Dribbling, possibly, but even there he's still more than capable of bringing it out from the back when needed. Really reminded of how good his passing and vision are in that clip, though. Genuinely must be one of the best passers league.

9 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Not sure I agree re the music. I mean, yes, obviously it's terrible, but I honestly don't think a YouTube highlights compilation would feel right without it now. And fair play to whoever who did that video, they really nailed it on that front.

Getting back to Virj, is there anything he isn't top class at? Dribbling, possibly, but even there he's still more than capable of bringing it out from the back when needed. Really reminded of how good his passing and vision are in that clip, though. Genuinely must be one of the best passers league.

As he matured, he stop the offensive part of his game. I think it's, because he trusts the rest of the team, so much.

He was an absolute bad ass free kick taker at Celtic, for example:

Save that.

AWS had a great quote from Julius Caesar in the Southampton match thread. The caption was under a picture of Bobby after his assist to the skipper.  Ideally we should mock up that quote under a towering picture of Van Dijk.

A colossus indeed.  

Reminds me of that Shankly quote when he first saw Roger Hunt in all red strip... or was it St. John?

5 minutes ago, RedSand said:

AWS had a great quote from Julius Caesar in the Southampton match thread. The caption was under a picture of Bobby after his assist to the skipper.  Ideally we should mock up that quote under a towering picture of Van Dijk.

A colossus indeed.  

Reminds me of that Shankly quote when he first saw Roger Hunt in all red strip... or was it St. John?

Ron yeats. 

• Upvote 1