You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Poor Ron Yeats doesnt get much love and even my late Dad called him a 'Yard Dog' but he was pivotal to our club's fortunes in the 60s and onwards.

Rowdy a yard dog!? He was a good old fashioned centre half whose job in those days was just to win all the balls lumped into the box. That's our box not the oppos except for corners because in those days it wasnt the done thing expecting the centre half to do much more than whack the ball up field.

With some of these players like carra and Sami, it's really hard to choose, as they were both very good centre backs, but were not world class. So then it really comes down to who you like most personally or perhaps what you want out of a footballer and centre half. Carra's reading of the game was 2nd to none though. 

For me, lawrenson, Hansen and VVD are all world class. I think VVD will have to do it for a little bit longer yet and win a few more jugs, but he has the potential to be the best of the lot, because he has absolutely no flaw to his game. I've never been able to choose between Hansen and lawrenson, but if ever I was trying to pick a best Liverpool XI I've seen it wasn't an issue, as they were always the best 2. I think very soon though it's going to be VVD in my best and I'll need to choose between lawro and Hansen. I'll probably pick Hansen as lawro always comes across as a bit of a prick. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

With some of these players like carra and Sami, it's really hard to choose, as they were both very good centre backs, but were not world class. So then it really comes down to who you like most personally or perhaps what you want out of a footballer and centre half. Carra's reading of the game was 2nd to none though. 

For me, lawrenson, Hansen and VVD are all world class. I think VVD will have to do it for a little bit longer yet and win a few more jugs, but he has the potential to be the best of the lot, because he has absolutely no flaw to his game. I've never been able to choose between Hansen and lawrenson, but if ever I was trying to pick a best Liverpool XI I've seen it wasn't an issue, as they were always the best 2. I think very soon though it's going to be VVD in my best and I'll need to choose between lawro and Hansen. I'll probably pick Hansen as lawro always comes across as a bit of a prick. 

Out of interest, what is your best Liverpool XI?

56 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Out of interest, what is your best Liverpool XI?

Tough one, as this team has some contenders, but I'm going to rule them all out for now. Only the players I've seen I've counted - and to some extent remember, I don't really remember Hughes for example. I've done a 433 as it's the fashion these days. I realise Whelan won't be agreed with by many, but I thought he was brilliant. Such a great reader of the game - maybe he's a reflection of my age too, where I maybe didn't appreciate those attributes as a kid. 

Clem, Neal, kennedy, Hansen, lawrenson, souness, gerrard, Whelan, Barnes, Kenny, rush

But I think it's fair to say this side could challenge in a number of positions - Alisson, Trent if he matures as looks likely, Robbo, vvd, Salah, mane. Maybe even someone might be able to knock my Whelan out in midfield. 

Obviously there's been some other crackers along the way, especially in the forward positions where we've been spoilt, Fowler,  beardsley, Owen, Torres and Suarez the little cunt. Then players such as McMahon, Nicol and even molby, who I've maybe never seen a better passer of the ball, even though he'd never get a game today. And plenty before them too like Smith, McDermott and ray Kennedy. 

What's yours? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Tough one, as this team has some contenders, but I'm going to rule them all out for now. Only the players I've seen I've counted - and to some extent remember, I don't really remember Hughes for example. I've done a 433 as it's the fashion these days. I realise Whelan won't be agreed with by many, but I thought he was brilliant. Such a great reader of the game - maybe he's a reflection of my age too, where I maybe didn't appreciate those attributes as a kid. 

Clem, Neal, kennedy, Hansen, lawrenson, souness, gerrard, Whelan, Barnes, Kenny, rush

But I think it's fair to say this side could challenge in a number of positions - Alisson, Trent if he matures as looks likely, Robbo, vvd, Salah, mane. Maybe even someone might be able to knock my Whelan out in midfield. 

Obviously there's been some other crackers along the way, especially in the forward positions where we've been spoilt, Fowler,  beardsley, Owen, Torres and Suarez the little cunt. Then players such as McMahon, Nicol and even molby, who I've maybe never seen a better passer of the ball, even though he'd never get a game today. And plenty before them too like Smith, McDermott and ray Kennedy. 

What's yours? 

I would put Emlyn and Cally in that team instead of Kennedy and Whelan whatever formation we're playing.  

Centre back is more difficult because I think Lawro was better than Thommo but as a pair I always used to go for Hansen and Thommo because Thommo was better in the air and Hansen was of the view that he was the best partner for him because he didn't enjoy the physical stuff. Now I've accepted that Virgil plays next to Hansen. 

4 minutes ago, aws said:

I would put Emlyn and Cally in that team instead of Kennedy and Whelan whatever formation we're playing.  

Centre back is more difficult because I think Lawro was better than Thommo but as a pair I always used to go for Hansen and Thommo because Thommo was better in the air and Hansen was of the view that he was the best partner for him because he didn't enjoy the physical stuff. Now I've accepted that Virgil plays next to Hansen. 

I saw emlyn and Cally both play, but I was too young. 

16 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

What's yours? 

Clemence, Neal, Hansen, Lawrenson, Nicol, Gerrard, Molby, Souness, Barnes, Dalglish, Rush.

• Upvote 3