You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

I've posted in another thread that I think he is our best ever in my experience. But the ingredient missing somewhat is the composure in the opposition box that he shows in our own.

He doesn't score as much as he should. He missed two good opportunities on Sunday that would have made matters much more comfortable. And I've watched them again and don't think I'm being harsh.

Wouldn't swap him for the world but he can become even more useful.

3 hours ago, magicrat said:

Don't quite get the obsession to compare him with every other defender we've had. He's absolutely top drawer in his position and a massive slap on the back to the club for being so persistent to sign him.

When I started supporting Liverpool, our starting centre halfs were three of Mark Wright, Phil Babb, Neil Ruddock and Dominic Matteo. To me Van Dijk is quite comfortably the best I’ve seen for us.

29 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

When I started supporting Liverpool, our starting centre halfs were three of Mark Wright, Phil Babb, Neil Ruddock and Dominic Matteo. To me Van Dijk is quite comfortably the best I’ve seen for us.

tenor.gif?itemid=3979544

33 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I think we can all agree on that but we have had some immense players at the back for us down the years. Hyppia , Jocky, Hughes right back to Big Ron off the top of my head. VvD is in that category already and I don't find saying who's the best that interesting tbh although I do accept it's a favourite pastime for footie fans.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Exactly. I genuinely thought Mark Wright was class though. Maybe because I didn’t know better 

I think he was known as a decent defender before but I properly started watching and understanding around 94 and I don't remember him being any good at all. To be fair he was surrounded by shite. Our best starting 11 today doesn't have any shite players in it. I don't think I have been able to see that about any 'best 11' since before my time. 

• 2 weeks later...

van Dijk's pass for the second goal was the stuff of dreams for strikers and the stuff of nightmares for opposition defenders. One touch to control the pass, poor second touch and fuck it, a screamer into the top corner.

On 03/04/2019 at 13:38, Bjornebye said:

I think he was known as a decent defender before but I properly started watching and understanding around 94 and I don't remember him being any good at all. To be fair he was surrounded by shite. Our best starting 11 today doesn't have any shite players in it. I don't think I have been able to see that about any 'best 11' since before my time. 

He joined us on the back of a good World Cup, then didn't do too well with Souness and got dropped for a while (can't quite recall all the circumstances). After Roy got installled, he was ever present at the heart of our back 3. Michael Thomas also got rehabilitated by Roy. 

Come to think of it, we've bought quite a few players because they were decent at a major tournament. Mark Wright was probably our best at CB, because the runner up was Phil Babb and I have no idea how to rank Torben Piechnik, who was absolutely wank despite being the rock at the center of Denmark's defense that won Euro 1992. 

16 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

van Dijk's pass for the second goal was the stuff of dreams for strikers and the stuff of nightmares for opposition defenders. One touch to control the pass, poor second touch and fuck it, a screamer into the top corner.

His passing has been incredible, I wouldn't mind seeing a compilation - he seems to hit a perfect long ball every few games.

17 hours ago, neopulian said:

He joined us on the back of a good World Cup, then didn't do too well with Souness and got dropped for a while (can't quite recall all the circumstances). After Roy got installled, he was ever present at the heart of our back 3. Michael Thomas also got rehabilitated by Roy. 

Come to think of it, we've bought quite a few players because they were decent at a major tournament. Mark Wright was probably our best at CB, because the runner up was Phil Babb and I have no idea how to rank Torben Piechnik, who was absolutely wank despite being the rock at the center of Denmark's defense that won Euro 1992. 

We signed Mark Wright in 1991, a year after Italia ‘90. Wright has been a very good

centre-half for years, so in no way comparable to Babb.