You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

1 hour ago, moof said:

I know we’re biased, but is there anyone out there more worthy of the balon d’or?

Rapist is having a great season for Juve, granted. 

I wouldn’t swap Virgil for any player

Same here. Not even Messi 

Very eloquently put by one of my favourite football writers, Barney Ronay...

Van Dijk is a fascinating leader. He doesn’t yodel and bang his chest. It is more a question of presence, a way of standing. Even watching from the seats you feel somehow that you’re going to find that train home, that the half-time queues will be short, that whatever it is that’s happening in parliament will work out.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/13/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-bayern-munich-champions-league?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Upvote 1

If van Dijk stays here for the remainder of his career and continues to perform at this level then at some point we're going to start talking about him as possibly the best centre back the club has ever had.

I know that sounds like a ridiculous overstatement given how brilliant some of Livepool's best defenders have been but I stand by it. He really is that good.

And as moof mentioned upthread, he really should be in the conversation for the Balon D'Or. If we win the league and/or the CL he might even get some consideration for it.

It is utterly fucking ludicrous how good he is just now and how effortless and easy he seems to find this game. 

He also seems to be prepared to fire some fucks into those around him to make sure they aspire to his level. A born leader and destined for legendary status at this club. Did anyone notice him giving Robbo the "what the fuck did you do that for " look at the end of the game?

Loved his glare at fabinho in the derby when he gave the ball away in the 2nd half. Fabinho didn't even look at him. Like a scolded dog, just put his head down and got into position. He's even given confidence to Matip to give out. Gave out yards to Robbo after the og. Never seen him do that before.

42 minutes ago, niallers said:

Loved his glare at fabinho in the derby when he gave the ball away in the 2nd half. Fabinho didn't even look at him. Like a scolded dog, just put his head down and got into position. He's even given confidence to Matip to give out. Gave out yards to Robbo after the og. Never seen him do that before.

He gave Mignolet loads of shit in his debut against Everton. Rightly so. Last player I saw do that so early in their Liverpool career was Gerrard at Anfield (against Everton) when he cleared off the line a couple of times and he was screaming at Redknapp and Ince for standing still n the middle and not getting back. 99 I think. We won 3:2. Fowler sniffed the line. Thats when I knew Gerrard was going to be fucking great. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, soapytitwank said:

Everything seems to come so easy to him. It's absolutely ludicrous. I wish I was as smooth in any situation in life as he is with a striker bearing down on him. 

I know. I cant even get crumpets out of the toaster without smashing a window 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I know. I cant even get crumpets out of the toaster without smashing a window 

I think you need to move your windows away from the toaster. It's what van Dijk would do.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I think you need to move your windows away from the toaster. It's what van Dijk would do.

Van Dijk would saunter around the kitchen, nonchalantly, and the millisecond the crumpets popped he would somehow swoop and gather them midair without breaking stride.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He gave Mignolet loads of shit in his debut against Everton. Rightly so. Last player I saw do that so early in their Liverpool career was Gerrard at Anfield (against Everton) when he cleared off the line a couple of times and he was screaming at Redknapp and Ince for standing still n the middle and not getting back. 99 I think. We won 3:2. Fowler sniffed the line. Thats when I knew Gerrard was going to be fucking great. 

I was at that match. My first ever game. Twas April 99. Fuck, 20 year ago. 

2 minutes ago, niallers said:

I was at that match. My first ever game. Twas April 99. Fuck, 20 year ago. 

Dacourt scored a belter in the opening minutes. Thought fuck sake here we go again 

Load of everton fans steaming into people round the back of the main stand after the game. Families etc. Twats