You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I was listening to Ferdinand talk about him in the studio (and I rate Ferdinand as a top class defender) thinking, he is far better than you ever was 

Absolutely agree Ferdinand was a great player but Big Virg is definitely a step up on him 

• Upvote 1

On 28/02/2019 at 13:21, Grinch said:

He really should be getting around five a season 

If or when we get VAR in the league, I reckon he could have at least 10 league goals in him. No way to stop him on set pieces without fouling him.

It would also require more than 50% of our corners clearing the first post, which is probably asking too much though.

Bayern should be regretting not doing more to get an away goal. With no Virg or Joe, or even Dejan, you're looking at the 7th/8th choice CB combination. 

Hopefully he beats Skrtel's 7 goal season a few years back. He's easily good enough to do it. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

How was this guy at Southampton until he turned 26? He's so much more talented than any other CB in the world, bar 1 or 2, it's almost embarrassing. 

He was a top 5 in the world defender when he was at Celtic. 

• Upvote 1

Barney Ronay in the Guardian

"Mainly he just stood there being Virgil, appearing at times like the only grown-up on the set. Van Dijk is a fascinating leader. He doesn’t yodel and bang his chest. It is more a question of presence, a way of standing. Even watching from the seats you feel somehow that you’re going to find that train home, that the half-time queues will be short, that whatever it is that’s happening in parliament will work out."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

That’d be it for me with football I think. 

I think I'd pay much less attention to it, for sure. Suarez going, Coutinho going, Torres fucking off... these things burned a bit. VVD going? Fuck that noise. That said, he seems very committed and wants to be a legend for Liverpool. 

2 minutes ago, KevieG said:

So he's added goals now.

My word.

I've heard a rumour that he's going to start brining a violin onto the pitch and seeing if he can play that without missing a note, whilst heading the winning goal and making a goal line clearance. At the same time. He has only managed it 999 times out of the 1000 times he has tried it so far, so he's not quite ready to commit to it. To be fair to him, the other time Hendo ran into him, so... it's not really his fault.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

People should be mentioning his price tag because he's worth about £200m/£250m.

The best centre back in the world. By some distance.

Possibly the best player in the world at the moment, not just best centre back.

• Upvote 1