You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Genuinely didn't mean this as a dig at Henderson, it's just not what he's about as most players aren't, but I just think we need a character like Big Virg calling the shots out there.

I think he's calling the shots regardless, which is an advantage because milner and henderson are pretty good at moaning at refs and wearing an armband gives you more latitude in that respect. 

I think the role of captain has changed. In the past it was all aboit the leader on the pitch, for the fans, for the players they're leading, for the opposition. But it seems there's a club as well as team element to it now with all the foreign players who come and need their hands holding when they arrive etc. While VVD is leading on the pitch and not having the armband isn't reducing his capacity as a leader of the team, I am more than happy for henderson to continue with the role of club captain. 

• Upvote 3

I hope we all remember how good he is as a player and how good he’s been this season and don’t focus on the below comments from him.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/virgil-van-dijk-issues-title-15632010

“I don’t like losing but it is what it is. We are still top of the league and we go again,” Van Dijk said.

“It was a good game to watch but I am disappointed because we lost. The only thing we can do now is bounce back. We will.

We can go on another unbeaten run but we take it game by game. We know it is going to be tough. We just congratulate City for their win.”